• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sticking w/ 3.5: Any Publishers?

lmpjr007

Explorer
Tetsubo said:
My only problem with this is that I don't like PDFs. I prefer dead tree versions of gaming books. I have had too many problems with trying to get a PDF printed and bound to want to do that on my own. When I want a gaming book, I want to hold it in my hands.
Well you do know that the majority of PDF publisher have access to or use a Print-On-Demand (POD) System like Lulu.com so you can get actual "dead tree" version of our larger PDF works. I am sure if you as a custome said, "Hey I want a printed version of XYZ RPG PDF, I am sure the PDF Publisher would create that PDF as POD book. Sometimes you just have to ask.

lmpjr007

Explorer
Erik Mona said:
I've heard this from a lot of quarters, but in the interest of providing a full picture, I've got to report that Paizo's sales have not seen significant drops since the 4.0 announcement.

Lest anyone get the idea that there's no market for 3.5 material, I'm here to tell you that it simply isn't true.
I agree whole totally with that statement! Sidetrek Adventure Weekly is selling WAY above what I expected and part of that reason I believe is that Goodman Games announced they were no longer going to be support 3.5 adventures. There are HARDCORE fans who like 3.5 and want materials for their game. No one really knows if 4E is going to be the worst game ever or the best game ever, but so many companies have just stopped making product on the possibility of 4E. Personally I am glad they have left. I have no problem servicing their customers needs in 3.5 while they wait 10 month to see if 4E is successful. I hope their business can survive that long wait.

Filcher

First Post
lmpjr007 said:
No one really knows if 4E is going to be the worst game ever or the best game ever, but so many companies have just stopped making product on the possibility of 4E. Personally I am glad they have left. I have no problem servicing their customers needs in 3.5 while they wait 10 month to see if 4E is successful./QUOTE]

Amen. Spoken like a professional. I'm glad there is a silver lining for those willing to brave the wilds outside of 4E.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Tetsubo said:
My only problem with this is that I don't like PDFs. I prefer dead tree versions of gaming books. I have had too many problems with trying to get a PDF printed and bound to want to do that on my own. When I want a gaming book, I want to hold it in my hands.

Of course. I am the same way. It is easy these days for a publisher to provide paper products through a print on demand outfit, such as Lulu.com. This place not only does the printing, but it also handles the sales and fulfillment for the publisher, going so far as to also make the PDf version available for sale as well. They will print up a single copy at a time as well, and the quality if their paperback books is just as good as any printer I've seen. The cost is slightly higher per book than running large print runs, but when you count the cost of warehousing stock and selling through game distributors and not getting paid when the fulfillment houses go bust, it actually makes more sense to just sell direct to consumers in this way. I'm surprised more publishers haven't gone this route, but it looks like the migration has started. I predict that in the next few years, Lulu.com (or similar services) will be the new stronghold of those publishers supporting 3.5.

Heck, it would have been a lot easier if Lulu.com would have been around when I was running Dark Portal Games. If it had, the company might still be around because the only thing that the publisher really pays for is the R&D.

Tetsubo said:

I also like books better. One reason is I like to edit in the margins. With an electronic PDF, unless I print it out (slow and tedious), or I have the full version, not just Acrobat Reader, I can't do that.

Is there a reason all e-games are in PDF? What's wrong with using Word (editable)?

Arthnek

First Post
Just thought I would chime in.

There are plenty of companies out there doing wonderful table top rpgs that have nothing to do with 3rd or 4th edition too.

Cortex comes to mind. Hero, Gurps, CofC, Savage Worlds, etc.. etc...

In fact there are more game systems to choose from now than ever before.

I think the sad truth today is that if WotC vanished in a puff of blue smoke tomorrow that gaming would absolutely continue and would continue to grow without them. So I am not at all worried about what happens with 4e. I mean don't get me wrong. I wish the very best for everyone at WotC. I hope they thrive and grow and do just awesome. Same for everyone else out there.

Still. The choices today are vast.

As far as the print thing goes a few of us total rebels have our own print ability. I do my own books with my own two hands. So not only do I not have to wait for turn around on a POD order when I get a customer order I can print it, quality check it and ship it off to them overnight with a couple of days. Printing has come a long way and you don't need a printing press to be able to do short runs of booklets, comic books or even signature bound soft cover books any longer. It is just a matter of having a little creativity, a little skill / experience and a few handy tools.

Not everyone works in their own print shop but I'm just saying there are options out there guys. Always options. POD is not the last word if you are willing to get creative.

Ed

I've been assuming some publishers might do 3.5 and 4.0 dual stat'd adventures for the first few months, to hedge their bets on which game is more popular. I guess if it's $5000 for the license to do 4.0, only a few larger publishers might do that.

Interesting thought: you could still buy new 2e stuff (including the basic books) at my FLGS for a year or more after 3e debutted. I'm guessing it was OOP (out of print), but the FLGS felt like holding on to it because there were still some in inventory and some sales. So, will WOTC stop printing 3.5e books before 4e is fully introduced (thinking yes), and will WOTC try to pull back copies in FLGS's (thinking maybe, but there will be a flood of 3.5e used stuff anyhow).

Darrin Drader

Explorer
haakon1 said:
Is there a reason all e-games are in PDF? What's wrong with using Word (editable)?

Word is fine if you don't care about presentation. Most publishers want things laid out with specific fonts, artwork, borders, etc. You can do this in Word format if you happen to have all the needed fonts on every computer that might be viewing these files. If the reader is using an old version of Word, or their computer has something funky going on in the background, or they're using Open Office, or one of a thousand other variables, the final result will not be as the publisher intended.

The PDF format takes as many of the variables out of the equation as possible by embedding the fonts and basically serving as a "printed" version of the layout. As long as the end user is viewing the file with a program designed to view PDF formatted files, what they look at will be as they intended.

There's also the issue of security. A publisher can prevent copying the text or images into other programs. They can also watermark it so that any unauthorized copies found through filesharing can be tracked back to the person who originally gave it away. Of course there are disadvantages to doing all of these things, and there are relatively easy methods of cracking these security measures, but they are things you cannot do with Word files.

drothgery

First Post
haakon1 said:
I've been assuming some publishers might do 3.5 and 4.0 dual stat'd adventures for the first few months, to hedge their bets on which game is more popular. I guess if it's $5000 for the license to do 4.0, only a few larger publishers might do that.

It's $5000 to do 4e this year and get an advance copy of the 4e rules; after that, it's free, though what you can do is likely somewhat more restricted than what you can do with 3.5/the d20 SRD. Exact terms haven't been announced.

KaosDevice

Explorer
lmpjr007 said:
I agree whole totally with that statement! Sidetrek Adventure Weekly is selling WAY above what I expected and part of that reason I believe is that Goodman Games announced they were no longer going to be support 3.5 adventures.

(Note adventure spoiler under inviso text.)

Well the fact that the very first first SAW involved pirates vs ninjas! might have caused that popularity.

(Planning to run SAW 1 next game)

Remove ads