• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Still no SRD for 3rd party companies

Fathead

First Post
Scribble said:
How far in advance did the 3e SRD get released? (or the 3.5 for that matter?)

With 3E, there weren't publishers losing money while they waited for the SRD. With 3.5, the mechanics were the same. 3.5 was more like 3E with errata.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Imaro said:
Another problem is that even outside of combat you are fundamentally creating challenges for characters with no yardstick for their capabilities, and without knowng that how do you even begin to construct any type of challenge.

Exactly. There are many new races and classes in the 4E PHB that may have abilities quite different than anything you could plan for without seeing the rules. For example, if you have a lava pit, and the dragonborn happen to be immune to fire/heat damage, then that lava pit becomes a swimming pool*.

*Unless you are using the "Fire and Brimstone" rules.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Well, if WotC screws over Paizo, Necromancer, Goodman Games, and the rest by sitting on the SRD until publication of the PHB, I will not support Wizards of the Coast despite how good the new game might be.

Raven Crowking

First Post
WotC_Miko said:
As one of the people who is frantically working on editing the PH right now (and who doesn't, really, have time even for this post :/), I can assure you that is entirely untrue.

Really?

Got the initiative rules done?

RC

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Fathead said:
The 3rd party publishers have employees to pay. The later they receive the SRD, the more it pushes back their release schedule. The further their release schedule gets pushed back, the longer they have to go with very little money coming in.

This is entirely true, of course. However, the fact that the 3rd party publisher has chosen a business model that means their entire cashflow depends on one document isn't exactly WotC's problem.

WotC should like the 3rd party publishers, as they do drive sales of WotC products. Getting an SRD out sooner would be nice. But having the game be good is a far higher priority, so if there's a question of resources, the SRD ought to lose.

GVDammerung

First Post
During Wotc's OGL metting/seminar at Gencon, one of the thoughts bruted about by Bill Slavisek, as I recall, was that perhaps the OGL might not be ready until January 2008. This was met with some alarm by some of the 3rd party publishers present who, I paraphrase, opined that the OGL needed to meet their needs in terms of timing, content and restrictions. Slavisek's off hand comment was never retracted nor revisited as the conversation moved in different directions. Looks like Bill's "perhaps January" is going to be pretty much on target, if it occurs in January and not later.

Question is - is January good enough for 3rd party publishers or failing that will they suck it up anyway?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
WotC_Miko said:
It's in good shape, but in no way DONE. And there's enough detail work and feedback integration still ongoing that those changes would make a significant difference to anyone trying to design from the PH now, as opposed to in a week or three.
Thanks for the data point, Michelle. It's really appreciated.

The_Baldman

Explorer
GVDammerung said:
Question is - is January good enough for 3rd party publishers or failing that will they suck it up anyway?

I think from Wotc's standpoint they don't care either way. I mean I am sure they care about the D20 market and the publishers within it. At the same time their revenue stream is more impacted by them having a solid 4th edition product then having the OGL out early enough for 3rd parties. They don't want to release an OGL that is not solid and finished as that is also unfair to 3rd parties as they would waste time and resources (of which are both in short supply for most companies). At the same time they don't want to call their PHB solid and finished until they've done every possible last thing to make it as tight and solid as possible. So my guess is once the PHB goes to typeset is when you will see the OGL done up and sent out to the 3rd parties.

Dave C

Wolfspider

Explorer
Umbran said:
This is entirely true, of course. However, the fact that the 3rd party publisher has chosen a business model that means their entire cashflow depends on one document isn't exactly WotC's problem.

WotC should like the 3rd party publishers, as they do drive sales of WotC products. Getting an SRD out sooner would be nice. But having the game be good is a far higher priority, so if there's a question of resources, the SRD ought to lose.

Interesting that WotC lacks the resources to do both playtest and develop the game and produce an SRD.

Interesting that Wotc lacks the resources to do the things with e-Dragon and e-Dungeon that they'd like to do.

Interesting that people are working so "frantically" on the PHB and other books, trying to get them ready in time.

Interesting that books previewing 4e are going to be released that probably won't reflect the final product in many ways because the final product isn't final.

It almost seems to me...almost...that the entire process of developing 4e is rather haphazard. Of course, that can't be true...can it?

Hmmm....

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Wolfspider said:
Interesting that WotC lacks the resources to do both playtest and develop the game and produce an SRD.

Interesting that Wotc lacks the resources to do the things with e-Dragon and e-Dungeon that they'd like to do.

Interesting that people are working so "frantically" on the PHB and other books, trying to get them ready in time.

Interesting that books previewing 4e are going to be released that probably won't reflect the final product in many ways because the final product isn't final.

It almost seems to me...almost...that the entire process of developing 4e is rather haphazard. Of course, that can't be true...can it?

Hmmm....
I wouldn't say haphazard. On a shorter schedule than it ought to be, yes.

Remove ads