• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E still serching a good Character gen

WotC has a great character gen for D&D 4th, complete rules and editable. Is there a Character Gen for Pathfinder that is just as good? So far I have found a few that were decent but they were a one shot gen. Not editable. My DM suggested a change to my characters balance. I had to go back and reenter everything. And when it's time to level up I'll have to do the same. I need a CG that keep track of my character and make the level/trail/skill/feat changes automatically.

That would be HeroLabs, which is licensed so new books are added rapidly. You do have to pay for individual books so the cost can be pretty high now, with so many options. But there's no monthly fee so the cost per year is comparable.

I tried the HeroLabs demo, it's good but it was missing stuff (Dhampirs for one). Not sure it was missing because of the demo or because it's incomplete. (although that seems unlikely)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I tried the HeroLabs demo, it's good but it was missing stuff (Dhampirs for one). Not sure it was missing because of the demo or because it's incomplete. (although that seems unlikely)

The demo didnt include dhamirs because the demo is only core rule book. The downside of hero lab is you need to purchase add-ons for all the new classes and races that come out. It works well but it can be a money sink. PC gen is free but its not updated very often.

When it comes to character builders for PF:
Cost or timely updates. Pick one.

moxcamel

Explorer
I'll throw my lot in for Hero Lab too if you're willing to spend money. Obviously it doesn't beat free if that's your budget, but if you can spend some money, there's nothing better out there for Pathfinder imho. I really don't think it's that expensive when you consider that all the Pathfinder add-ons are one time purchases, versus having to pay an annual subscription.

For example, the core product is $29.95, and that includes support for one game system, presumably Pathfinder. That includes the core Pathfinder book, everything in the Inner Sea guide, and full support for Pathfinder Society. Now if you want to add content from the Advanced Players Guide, Advanced Race Guide, Ultimate Equipment, and Ultimate Magic, that'll run you about $10 per, or a total of about $70. That's just under the price of Wizards' cheapest annual subscription price to DDI, except that you only pay it once with HL. For me, that's pretty good value.

Oh, disclaimer: I don't work for the Hero Labs guys, just a fanboi. :)

Remove ads