• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stolen Goods (El Jefe judging)

wmasters

First Post
You approach the building Jebadiah gestured towards, the wooden sign of the Jolly Fisherman, a well-built gnome holding a fish almost as large as he is, identifying the inn. As you approach you get a clearer view in the direction Jebadiah gestured when he mentioned Fallon. The road ahead, past the Jolly Sailor just stops. Ahead you are greeted with a fantastic sight, the road ends at what seems to be a cliff edge, a pit containing the majority of the city. At the edge of the road-end is a small stone platorm sticking out from the cliff itself.

The Jolly Fisherman by no means glamorous accomodation, but is a fucntional inn catering for visitors who prefer a short trip into the city itself and saving a couple of silver. Securing dinner and a room for the night are relatively straight forward.

During the night a light rain falls, leaving a crisp, refreshing air in the morning as the sun begins to rise.

OOC: Sorry for the delay, I was called away for a couple of days somewhat unexpectedly. IAmTheTest can you confirm which spells Daeualas is learning in the morning, and Rae, if Quarion changes prepared spells please let me know.

IamTheTest

First Post
Dae stretches after waking. There is a sense of serenity in the air.
After praying Dae walks down to the common room to join the rest of the party.

OOC: Dae will pray for the following:
Level 0: Mending, Detect Magic, Light
Level 1: Magic Weapon, Bless, [Entropic Shield]

Also, I dont have a great deal of experience playing a cleric so if anybody has spells that they think I ought to prepare let me know.

LiquidBlue

First Post
Joru ghe Bana meets the Jolly Fisherman

When the group arrives at the Jolly Fisherman, Joru seeks permission to sing for the common room. Perform: 24. He will also ask around to find out where the shop Natural Remedies can be found. Gather Information: 12 OOC: I don't even know if this requires a gather information check, at any rate, this is the result of Joru asking around the Inn. I guess he was too busy playing to ask people questions.

The next morning, Joru rejoins the group:

Every morning when we see the sun,
We know though started
our journey newly begun,
and with our past now parted.

OOC: IamTheTest, I would suggest swapping out bless. I do not believe that its effects stack with Joru's Inspire Courage bardic music ability. Since right now Joru has 5 bardic music effects per day, I don't think the group will need Dae to cast bless. I would also suggest Disguise Self instead of Entropic shield for the domain slot, mostly because that spell is otherwise unavailable to clerics, but also for its versitality. If you believe that entropic shield could be useful (and it certainly can be) you could use the slot currently used by bless to prepare entropic shield.

wmasters, When the days simply fly by, it seems a little cheap to reap the rewards of public performance, but I suspect that the days will not pass so quickly from now on. I think maybe then that Joru could roll for the proceeds from the evening's performance, alternatively, perhaps the effects of the performance could result in a goodwill circumstance bonus to Joru's gather information check (If such a check is useful.)

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

Eanos surveys the room as the group breaks its fast.

"Has anyone thought to ask how we descend that cliff face?" he wonders aloud.

[sblock=OOC]I've been forgetting to ask: how much have we spent on lodgings and food this trip? My past adventures involved the employer paying those costs, so I'm not used to tracking them. Or has our bard been making enough with all this singing to cover us? ;)[/sblock]

hafrogman

Adventurer
Alden rises early and stretches in the cool morning. He turns to consider the curious city layout as Eanos speaks. Then he shrugs and turns back.

"I do not know for sure, but I expect that the platform has something to do with it. Shall we?"

He moves forward along the road towards its sudden end.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Quarion Holimion, Elven Druid

[sblock=OOC: ]Some minor changes, yes.

Prepared Spells: (4/3)
Level 0: create water, light, purify food and drink, detect magic
Level 1: cure light wounds, entangle, longstrider
Level 2: spider climb, fog cloud[/sblock]
Quarion is already in the common room when the others wake. He has been awake for several hours. While the rest of the party was sleeping, Quarion took a walk with Garma for a few hours, taking in the moonlight and allowing the gods of the wilderness to guide his footsteps. He nods at everybody as they emerge from their rooms, but he remains silent. When it's time to go, he's ready.

wmasters

First Post
Asking around for Natural Remedies Joru finds one of the locals "I think it's in 'the caves' but can't remember quite where. You can find a guide near just down the first story, they should be able to give you directions."

Leaving the inn you are greeted with the start of a bright clear day. Turning and approaching the edge of the pit, the sights of the city are much clearer than they were dusk of the previous night. Looking out over the cliff, a deep pit falls into the city. Along the sides of the cliff, stairways run down to corridors and chasms in the cliff face itself. Below, at the base of the pit is the city centre itself. Several large buildings are prominent, as well as a large, green garden, although from this distance even they appear small.

Looking down into the cavern, a little below the level of the cliff edge, large bridges can be seen of marble and quartz, reflecting the morning light. To your right, you can see the mass of water pressing against the edge of the canyon; it can only be magic preventing the water crashing down on the city itself. As you watch you see a torrent of water rise from the bottom of the cavern floor all the way to meet the lake edge.

There is now no sign of the platform you saw last night, but a small flight of stairs descends, visible now that you stand at the cliff edge. They don't seem to run too far down, you can see the bottom of the stairs only around 9 feet below the surface. From the looks of the cavern there must be over a hundred levels to the city.

At the bottom of the stairs there is a turn and another flight going down, but a cavern lit with regular, static lights extends from this level. Just inside the cave a small building is cut into the side of wall, a large sign outside reads 'Maps and Guides'. Further into the cavern other buildings can be seen, 'The Burrower' appears to be an inn whereas another sign advertises somewhere called 'Arcane Arts'.

[sblock=ooc: ]If there's no objections, and for simplicities sake I'm quit happy to say that Joru's performances in the inns work out on average to cover the accomodation and other small expenses for the party such as meals, drinks etc?

On another note altogether, how is the pace for everyone? If you'd prefer if I stopped more often to allow any party interaction, or less often (which may mean less roleplay opportunities) let me know. As I said, it's my first time DMing one of these, so it's a learning experience for me.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=OOC: ]Actually, the pace is quite nice. The adventure proper hasn't even started, and yet I feel like we've already accomplished something. I think whatever's natural is fine. I like the roleplaying we've done so far, but I think it's time to get started, and we can't do that without you, DM. =P[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

Eanos moves toward the "Maps and Guides" sign as soon as he catches sight of it.

"This looks like it should solve our 'where to go' problems, yes?"

LiquidBlue

First Post
Joru plays the Tourist

Joru leaves the Inn with the rest of his group. Upon seeing the magical abatement, he quietly shares a verse. The language is an odd and seems to reverberate in unexpected ways.

[sblock=Aquan]Simply flows the mighty power,
from its path turns none.

Time is long and with each hour,
earth fall, water run.
[/sblock]

For a small moment the small gnome seems to be distressed, but almost immediately his normal, expansive demeanor returns.

jkason said:
Eanos moves toward the "Maps and Guides" sign as soon as he catches sight of it.

"This looks like it should solve our 'where to go' problems, yes?"

This is a good sign. This city seems to be welcoming to travelers and strangers. I have been to cities that have not shared such a sentiment.

Joru enters the building sporting the "Maps and Guides" sign. (OOC: Or at least he will try)

OOC: Assuming that Joru enters the building, and there is someone there to assist him, he will then say the following.

"We are new arrivals to Fallon. We have business in the area known as the caves. I would like to buy a map of the city, and if available, a map with details of the caves and its surroundings."

Pausing, the gnome continues:

"What can you tell me about Fallon? Of what must strangers to the city be aware? If the wage is reasonable, I think we may be interested in a guide."

[sblock=OOC]I don't mind the DM moving the story along. Without visual clues, or immediate feedback it is extremely hard to gauge the difference between essential role-playing and simply spinning one's wheels. I think that if the players have some role playing they want to get done, they will make it happen. So don't worry too much about setting an accelerated pace.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads