• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft [Recruiting Closed]

GwydapLlew

First Post
stonegod said:
Unfortunately, I do not. I had a monk slinger once, and it never really worked out. We celebrated when on the last fight of the campaign he finally hit something. However, it was with his fists! :)

d00d, the druid slinger in my SCAP rocks - she can't seem to miss anything!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As far as special sling ammo... if stonegod's okay with the idea you could always just buy acid flasks, alchemist's fire, spark, and frost, and thunderstones and say that the flasks were designed to be flung from a sling, rather than thrown by hand. I mean, at 6th level I don't think it's going to break the bank if you get to use your regular to-hit with a sling instead of the standard ranged touch attack you normally have to make to throw the vials.

After all, at the prices needed to buy acid, fire, spark, and frost one-shot vials (anywhere from 20-30gp each), you probably won't be able to hoard many of them. Sling bullets cost 1 sp for 10 and they do 1d4 damage. Alchemist's fire costs 20gp for one flask and does 1d6 + splash with a secondary 1d6 next round. You won't be flinging dozens of them across the battlefield... not at those prices.

Of course, the other thing to consider is that we'll probably have quite a bit of starting gold, and you could always just buy magical sling bullets with extra properties. A bag of 50 bullets with a +2 enhancement (+1 for magic, and an extra +1 for the special qualities) would cost you 8350gp. And again... if stonegod was nice, you could perhaps convince him to let you not get 50 of only a single type but perhaps get several different +1 modifier types of bullets that add up to 50. So perhaps you get 10 Flaming bullets, 10 Frost bullets, 15 Ghost Touch bullets, and 15 Undead Bane bullets.

Just a thought.

starkad

First Post
I'll throw my hat into the ring.. I haven't played a PbP yet, but I am online basically 16 hours a day, so why not?

I've played D&D for a while (20+ years), and Eberron since it came out. No lack of knowledge here - I could probably stand to learn some! :)

Concept:

Name: Deregan Blackhammer
Deregan is a strapping young dwarf from the Mror Holds. He wields twin war-axes, almost in defiance of his family name. Hammers don't interest him much - his father always spouted the virtues of a blunt object, and how it would inflict the most pain upon a foe (in his father's case, normally an orc... "filthy creatures" as he put it - but give Deregan anyting opposing him or his friends). Deregan never believed that philosophy much. If you cut a leg off, the shock of pain would be almost too much to bear. If you merely crushed it, the opponent might have a chance to come crawling back to you. His motto is 'cut it, don't break it'; his mother called him simple and stupid, but there you go.

Deregan hired out his services during the last war - mostly towards the tag end of the conflict. House Deneith paid well, but the life of a mercenary - and taking orders from some know-it-all captain - just weren't for him. Too much of a free spirit, when the war ended, Deregan did some minor adventuring, and then decided to settle down. Recently, his demons have gotten the better of him. Alcohol mired him down in misery, to the point where it nearly destroyed him. Now, fighting his own inner demons, he has vacated his small home in Sharn, and decided once again to venture forth... Who knows, maybe he will find his demons, and conquer them. In the meantime, he strives to stay away from the drink, and tries to find enjoyment in other aspects. Perhaps by honing his abilities, he can master himself once more.

Roles: A fighter (working towards the tempest class perhaps). Not really a "tank", but more of a mobile devastation platform (MDP). A bit of a rebel (chaotic good), but a good natured, (former?) ale-drinking machine.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
DEFCON 1 said:
As far as special sling ammo... if stonegod's okay with the idea you could always just buy acid flasks, alchemist's fire, spark, and frost, and thunderstones and say that the flasks were designed to be flung from a sling, rather than thrown by hand. I mean, at 6th level I don't think it's going to break the bank if you get to use your regular to-hit with a sling instead of the standard ranged touch attack you normally have to make to throw the vials.

You won't be flinging dozens of them across the battlefield... not at those prices.
Actually, you provide the counter example to this in your next post: 8350gp for the 50 sling bullets gets me 417 of the vials. However, you will always have a better to hit with a thrown vial than a slung vial except for range increments. Don't forget that slings require a move action to load, so no iterative attacks (which is not an issue for druids until 8th level anyway.

DEFCON 1 said:
Specially-designed alchemical bullets are possible, but they would have to be smaller to fit. I'd have to think on what that would entail.

Of course, the other thing to consider is that we'll probably have quite a bit of starting gold, and you could always just buy magical sling bullets with extra properties. A bag of 50 bullets with a +2 enhancement (+1 for magic, and an extra +1 for the special qualities) would cost you 8350gp. And again... if stonegod was nice, you could perhaps convince him to let you not get 50 of only a single type but perhaps get several different +1 modifier types of bullets that add up to 50. So perhaps you get 10 Flaming bullets, 10 Frost bullets, 15 Ghost Touch bullets, and 15 Undead Bane bullets.
No issues with the 'buffet' approach.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Still waiting for Bront, Azaar and kinem to flush out their concepts and on Eva of Sirrion to answer my questions above.

New applications also welcome, of course.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
stonegod, I was guessing that a stonegod-run Eberron EtCR would be rather different than an Endur-world neutral EtCR, and wasn't necessarily planning on dropping out. However, I would totally understand if you wouldn't want players in the same module due to possible story contamination. It also seems as if you have a great deal of interested players already. I'll like to put up a charcter too, perhaps as an alt if nothing else. I promise I am good at separating my own knowledge from that of my character.

Besides, I've always wanted to make a shifter barbarian. :)

kinem

Adventurer

Remove ads