Stop Combining Words in RPGs! - Let English prevail

Shadowslayer

Explorer
I may be just irritable today but I'm ticked at the stupid combined words the game seems to be filled with. eg Greataxe instead of Great Axe.

Actually, I feel your pain. Sure, its minor, but its still a bummer. I'd be happy if D&D could find a happy meduim between Gygax's use of language in 1e, and the language it currently uses.

On the other hand, in D&D terms, greataxe refers to a specific kind of axe. If you went the other way, any axe (hand axe, hatchet, war axe or whatever) that had a nice sharp blade, an ornate handle, a really good balance point, or just worked really well, could be considered a really great axe.

Greatdiscussion!

rounser

First Post
The WOTCspeak that gets me is "warmage". Obeying the rules of real english, my mind always interprets it as what you get when you lie down next to a fire.

Hussar

Legend
The WOTCspeak that gets me is "warmage". Obeying the rules of real english, my mind always interprets it as what you get when you lie down next to a fire.

Umm, no?

Obeying the rules of "real English", you ALWAYS split syllables between consonants and never afterwards. That word splits to either war MAGE or WAR mage, but never WARM age. You simply cannot start a syllable with a vowel sound in English.

((In case you think I'm wrong, even in words where you do have a syllable starting with a vowel, you add a consonant sound to the beginning. Otherwise, show me the "y" in "piano"))

Remove ads