• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stop Combining Words in RPGs! - Let English prevail

You all realize that this whole phenomenon (do doooo de do do) is hardly original in 4e. Or even peculiar to gaming.

Lady Pixie Moondrip's Guide to Craft Names

Whatever happened to "Nyming Ur Kir'uctur?" Was that forrester's creation, or was there some other Elf hater who posted it?

And Piratecat (see, even you are guilty of naming badwrongfun), if he were a halfling, he'd be Thunderdeath Furryfeet.

Khairn

First Post
This is of far less importance than the fact that they are still using "falchion" to describe a great-scimitar. A falchion is a specifically ONE HANDED french weapon that could best be described as a war machete.

For me, there are few more idiotic and personally annoying aspects of 3E than the "falchion". Its like using the word dagger to describe a two handed sword. Its flat out wrong and I never understood the necessity for it. The fact that the authors of 4E decided to continue this deliberate falsification just boggles my mind.

/step off soapbox

I now return you to your previous rant.

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
This thread is taking me back to my semester of Greek training at seminary. Like many ancient languages, early Greek has no spaces and little if any punctuation. Heck, you're lucky if the words don't change direction on you in the middle of a manuscript! On the other hand, this might be a benefit for the OP who would legitimately be able to call "γρηταχ" "great axe" and everyone else could go "greataxe" and neither would be wrong!

That was of course a phonetic spelling. I have no idea what the word would actually be.

Hussar

Legend
Except for the first syllable of a word, of course. :)

Unless that word is spoken by itself with no preceeding words, you would be correct.

Read the following sentence:

I am going to a party.

Show me where the "y" is before am, the "w" in going and the "w" between "to" and "a". :)

In any case, it is very rare to start a word with a pure vowel sound. Ye sit can be done. But very rare. And certainly would not be done with the word "warmage".

/steps off soapbox - sorry, I do this for a living. Please return to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Remove ads