• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stop Combining Words in RPGs! - Let English prevail

Henrix

Explorer
In Swedish, it is actually a very common English import these days to NOT combine words. Darned cultural imperialism!

Which often changes their meaning entirely, so it's not unimportant. (Compare 'sjuksköterska' (a nurse for the sick) and 'sjuk sköterska' (a nurse who is sick).)

Henrix

Explorer
This reminds me of the German Bundeswehr method of categorizing items, which (exaggerated) looks like this:
Trap, rodent, small, gray - Mousetrap.

I think that's a fallacy many modern armies fall for. Both the Swedish and US army has categories like that.
Helicopter, Utility
Rations, dried

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Obeying the rules of "real English", you ALWAYS split syllables between consonants and never afterwards. That word splits to either war MAGE or WAR mage, but never WARM age. You simply cannot start a syllable with a vowel sound in English.

You don't split a trailing consonant double blend when breaking a word into syllables, do you?

warm: rm is a consonant blend.
So we have warm/er and warm/est and warm/ing, not war/mer and war/mest and war/ming.

And there are any number of words in English that have syllables that start with a vowel. fin/ish, for example.

Makes perfect sense to me that someone would read "warmage" the same way they'd read "carnage".

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads