• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stop Combining Words in RPGs! - Let English prevail

Katemare

First Post
This has occurred to allow for multiple variations of the same creature. I geuss they could having gone with a Cackling Hellsworn, but they decided Cacklefiend gave their creation more identity. I think this was most important for low-level humanoid races. Not much differentiated 1st-Edition orcs from one another except their armor, weapons and hit dice (and the occasional shaman). I'm having fun converting 1E modules to 4E by changing up the variety of creatures
Well, there is no "cacklefiend hellsworn", there is "cacklefiend hyena" and "cambion hellsworn", but I'm sure I saw several true obscure adjnoun adjnoun names. In WoW, they indicate local variety (first word) and combat role (second word) (actual species name is ommited). Still, for me, these names sound clumsy and unnatural.

I think that in each instance there is a better solution, such as "laughing hound" (for a hyena).

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Some things are only precious because they are rare.

Incidentally, I followed the link in your sig and watched the video of you guys dancing. Kudos, man - you're just amazing.
Other things are only precious because the cartels artificially inflate the price.

Thanks for the compliment! :)
-blarg

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Ahem.

This occasionally needs posting, when one encounters a discussion of any warmth on the topic of the English language.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
--James D. Nicoll

Haven

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Ahem.

This occasionally needs posting, when one encounters a discussion of any warmth on the topic of the English language.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
--James D. Nicoll

Haven
Pffft. Crib house. Alley ways. Clearly, James Nicoll was doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads