• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[StormFront]

Bulsarra

First Post
Each of you has come to the docks under different circumstances but the current situation is the same:

Its early evening and the sky is clear and lit with stars. The summer season is full upon you and the ocean breeze blowing in off the bay cools your skin, though its small relief against the persistent temperature. Most of the workers have left the area for the night and while there are still areas of intense activity in various areas of the bay, this spot seems to have been chosen for its relative isolation.

The rowboat ferrying the three men from the galleon anchored in the bay has docked and two of the men are disembarking and securing the boat with ropes. The third man, rotund and unsteady until he gets on the dock, gathers his robes around him and strides toward the waiting group.

Keldryn/Ranstaar

You see the men heading toward the waiting party while one man in flowing orange and yellow robes steps up to greet the new arrivals.

Kaze/Xyffor

“Tutta! My good man! How was the voyage? Productive, I hope?” the man in the yellow robes says.

“You are Merghas, then?” Tutta asks. “Where is your emissary?”

Merghas turns to Xyffor and motions him to come forward.

Kajhin/Liad

You are watching the events on the dock but are unaware of Keldryn and Ranstaar's situation. You can see everything that's happening on the docks though.

Last edited:

dougbass68

First Post
Thinking that the elf I see is going to try to help me, I try to distract the guards by falling over, grabbing my stomach, and moaning.

Bulsarra

First Post
DM Note

It's been so long since I've run a game, expect these clarifications for awhile:

The dock area all of you occupy is about 100 yards in diameter (though the docks themselves are much, much larger) so while events are all occurring simultaneously and in relative close proximity, remember that you only know what your character knows.

Last edited:

Mirth

Explorer
Kajhin watches the events unfold and turns to Liad, [sign]"Tutta? Merghas? Sound familiar?"[/sign]. The monk keeps one eye on Liad's hands for the answer and one eye on the group of conversing men, thinking to himself, I hope you're wrong about this, silent one. It could turn bloody... fast.

Mirth

Explorer
OOC: Chris wanted me to post and say that he has been stuck at the library working on a huge project, but will post ASAP. Stay tuned...

Idsquare

First Post
Xyffor

Xyffor focuses his attention on the incoming row boat. Initially he wondered how a man of such obvious intelligence and high manner could associate with the likes of Zaka and his minions. But he quickly dismissed this query with the self-explanation that powerful, intelligent, well-meaning men, such as the warden, are magnets for those who wish to be near them. "And, besides," Xyffor thought, "how else would Zaka be so positively influenced if it were not for such men as the warden?" It all began to make sense to Xyffor now: "That is the reason the warden sent Zaka!!! He wanted me to begin to influence Zaka with my sense of duty and honor. What a wise man the warden is." Xyffor's attitude toward Zaka began to warm as he reflected on joining with the warden for the purpose of mentoring poor Zaka. Xyffor is delighted that the warden chose him for such an opportunity to assist in the advancement of Zaka and at the same time help the citizenry of Eisleis.

As it drew closer to the dock, the row boat began to rock back and forth wildly by the waves created from the fierce wind. The men in the boat attempted to control its sway with their oars, but the sea and that upon it is controlled by no man. Xyffor thought of jumping inside and using his immense power to begin unloading crates, but the warden was so relaxed that Xyffor decided that he would await instructions.

The crew of the row boat threw a rope to one of Zaka's men who immediately began to tie the boat up. The warden glanced at Xyffor -- an obvious sign (at least in Xyffor's mind) that they shared a common purpose and cause. Xyffor imagined himself now to be second in command and shouted orders to Zaka and his men,

"Prepare to unload these crates. Many people are in need of our help and time is wasting."

Idsquare

First Post
Xyffor

Merghas' identification of Xyffor as his "emissary" reinforces Xyffor's belief that he is second in command. He steps forward confidently to address Tutta,

"What fine cargo have you brought for the good folk of Eisleis?"

Vire

First Post
Taking a couple steps forward Kaze approachs the man identified to him as the warden.

"Excuse me, but are you the man in charge here? We," Kaze says motioning towards the wizard accompaning him, "are the ones you hired to appraise some....items for you."

Bulsarra

First Post
Keldryn/Ranstarr

Keldryn : With careful deliberation you ease your bow into your hands, knock an arrow, draw the bowstring back, aiming....

DM: I *think* I calculated everything right.

Surprise Round (no Init check)

1d20 + 4 (Ranged Attack Bonus) = 18

The arrow slices through the night with only the briefest hiss before embedding itself in the side of the soldier nearest the elf. It punctures the man's leather armor and he groans in pain and surprise. He staggers, clearly hurt, but still on his feet.

The elf drops to his knees, clutching his stomach and you'd wonder if he'd somehow been hurt if you hadn't seen the flash of cunning in his eyes the instant before he went down.

Ranstarr : You hear the unmistakable sound of an arrow finding its mark and the guard closest to you grunts and raises his left arm, looking shocked at the shaft of an arrow protruding from his side beneath it.

The three other guards all have their attention on their injured comrade. You are on the ground, eye level and within arms reach of your pack and your weapons.

DM: (Both Keldryn and Ranstarr). I'm starting a Standard Round so you can roll for Initiative or I'll do it for you. Don't forget bonuses! And I didn't forget your Sneak Attack damage bonus either, Vann.

Remove ads