• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Storms of Change IC Part 4

doghead

thotd
Lucan, male human pit fighter.

Lucan scoops up the diminuative Zook as gently as possible.

Turning, he steps away from Manzanita before returning Zook to his feet. Lucan however, keeps himself between Zook and Manzanita. The burly fighter watches Zook silently for a moment.

Lucan, a slave since he was seven and a pit fighter before he could even be called a grown man, wonders what it is like to be able to feel compassion for others so easily. Lucan is not a cruel man, but the life he has lead has lead him to seek self sufficieny of spirit; to need nothing from others and to expect nothing. Lucan wonders what type of person he would have become if he had grown up in a place where he was free to have done so. He wonders if the stoicism that he has refined over the years is not a form of deadness. But he did survive when so many else did not. And try as he might, he cannot imagine having done so without buried his feelings very, very deep.

Lucan searches for something to say that would be helpful. He can't find anything that doesn't sound trite.

What cannot be changed must be endured. Lucan was told that by an old slave after the young boy had been beating once again for ... well, for one hopeless act of defiance or another. And the boy, battered and bloody, had chosen to accept the advice. And life had become more tolerable as a result, the beatings less frequent, and the meals more so. He had taken that attitude with him into the arena, and it had served him well there too, allowing him to conserve precious energy for the challenge of staying alive.

Had there ever been another choice? Up til now Lucan had never even considered the possibility.

Someone

Adventurer
"I´m starting to think the damned web thing was a bad idea" thinks Dunathar. "Why the elf couldn´t throw a fireball or something?"

"Look" says the dwarf suddendly. "I don´t know how things are done in gnomeland, but if I tell in the mine..." Dunathar make a pause.

"Er, if I tell in the mine we left them alive, let alone made them our buddies, they would roll on the floor laughing. See, I don´t care too much if I live or die, I´m going to be far away when they return with all the tribe, but for Moradin´s beard we have to kill some hobgoblins."

Sado

First Post
Goven

Goven follows Manzanita to the gnolls, not certain what she has in mind. When he sees her plunge her sword into the gnoll, he is relieved, both that their enemy is being sealt with and that he doesn't have to continue debating it.

Hearing Zook's outburst, he shakes his head at the gnome's naivete. As Lucan keeps him from interfering, Goven keeps most of his attention focused on the gnolls, axe ready, in case they get out of control.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Zook was shaking with a combination of barely-surpressed fury and shame. How dare they count him a child amongst adults? Battles could be won with words and not violence, had he not proved that over and over to free his siblings from the authorities when they were caught steeling bread and gold? The gnome looked about ready to explode.

"How dare you!" he cried finally. "How dare you count me as a child! I was not wanting the gnolls as friends, I was wanting the prisoners to be useful! Just because I would not want to kill bound and helpless foes you count my word as less than spit in the wind! This is cruel and evil work you do, and you bring down your own natures and souls by doing it! No greater good could be worth the death of a helpless foe! I will not take part in this quest with you any further!" Zook cries. He digs into his backpack and takes out the four healing potions the Warden gave him and puts them on the ground. Then he turns on his heel and leaves without a backward glance.

Manzanita

First Post
Manzanita

Manzanita turns as Zook stomps off. "Please wait until I am done before passing judgement."

She turns back to the gnolls, waiting for an answer to her question.

doghead

thotd
Lucan, male human pit fighter.

Lucan rock back on his heals at the force of Zook's fury. For a moment he is too surprised to act. Eventually Lucan gather his wits and strides after Zook. It doesn't take the warrior long to catch up*.

"Zook. Manzanita is right. Wait and see what she has in mind before making any decision.

"Please," he adds gruffly, unsuccessfully trying to hide his awkwardness. Its obviously not a word he has much experience using.

ooc: * Spd 40 ft.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"Oh? Will you listen to me now? You listened to me before, you listened to my suggestion to keep our enemies occupied with each other. And now that we have some, you would rather slaughter them all then consider another path?" Zook says with ill-grace. He does stop, however, and turn around, arms crossed across his chest and pain in his face. His eyes flick to Lucan slightly, then back to Manzanita.

silentspace

First Post
Meanwhile, back with the gnolls, Goven and Dunathar watch as the blood stops spurting from the gnoll's neck, and it lies still, eyes wide open gazing up at the sky.

The commotion between the gnome and the other party members seems to throw the gnolls for a loop. Interrupting the group, a loud dog voice barks out.

In Gnoll:
"Bargain? Yes, we will bargain."

Manzanita

First Post
Manzanita

in gnoll [sblock]"Yes. You will bargain."[/sblock]

Manzanita approaches the one who spoke. In gnoll: [sblock]"Why are you here? Who do you work for?"[/sblock]

silentspace

First Post
The gnoll looks at Manzanita and his unconscious leader for a moment, looking like he is weighing his options. Then he answers Manzanita.

In gnoll:

"We are scouts for the Empire of Goruka. We did not know this forest was held by a lord. We do not seek to conquer this forest, but it would be wise for the lord of the forest to ally with Goruka. We have many allies in these wild lands. Perhaps your warriors would join Goruka's, just as we have done.

"We should join forces. If you help us, you will be rewarded by Lord-General Nazdin of Goruka. He seeks something in these forests, an ancient keep called Linace Keep. He is determined to find it. He has already given the task of scouting these forests to another group, but they have not been effective. So he has sent us. And if we do not return, he will send others. If you kill us, he will only send another group here. Maybe a larger group, or a larger military force.

"Will the lord of the forest join with us? We can take an emissary, or a message back with us to Lord-General Nazdin, I am sure he will welcome another ally in these lands."

Remove ads