Storn's art for swipin'!

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Storn,
I have been following your art for sometime, but when I got ill in October 2011 I lost track of a lot of threads I had followed. I am very glad to have re-found this thread.

I just want to say, as you have heard so often, Your Art ROCKS, dude! Keep up the great work!

Nellisir

Hero
Folks, I've had such a horrendous time with my failing computer. I won't go into it, except I'm still down a video card (which I love having dual monitors, having reference on one screen while working on my Cintiq), but the rest of the machine is up and running with new motherboard, new processor, a bit more RAM, new power supply etc.
I realized the other night that, years ago, I told you I'd buy you a beer or something when I moved to Ithaca. I've been here five years and some months now. Let me know if you ever want it. Or a coffee or something. :)

Storn

Explorer
Scott, I'm glad you refound my thread! I'm thrilled to hear that you like my stuff.

Nellisir, drop me a line at Storn.Cook@gmail.com. I love beer! I will never turn down a free beer!!!

Still waiting for my video card to show, but I am at least working. And I can share some more recent work. This is for an upcoming module called "The Inheritance" and definitely done in the old school aesthetic. I did a couple of interior illos for it as well, but the credits haven't shown yet.

What is cool, is that I think the backcover was done by Jeff Dee, a very powerful and early influence on me back in the day. Kinda neat sharing a book with a childhood hero!

Here is the link to the module: http://www.mischiefinc.net/1a---the-inheritance.html

And here is the artwork itself. It is acrylic underpainting with oil finishes on masonite. Art measures 13 x 20. I will have prints available on this one at (or if you are interested in the original, I'm selling for $750.00): http://fineartamerica.com/featured/...-for-her-eggs-storn-cook.html?newartwork=true

GalversharnF72_zpsd930a4b0.jpg

Nellisir

Hero
Scott, I'm glad you refound my thread! I'm thrilled to hear that you like my stuff.

Nellisir, drop me a line at Storn.Cook@gmail.com. I love beer! I will never turn down a free beer!!!

Email sent!

I like this painting. There's something about it that reminds me of...Howard Pyle, I think. Like a dragon accidently wandered into Treasure Island.

Storn

Explorer
What system is this module? I has first ed look to it, like you mentioned as 'old school'

I believe it is 3rd ed Open Source-ish. Not entirely sure about that though.

Cancer Benefit for Danielle snapshots
My wife, Millie, is a professor of nursing at Tompkins Cortland Community College and her fellow teacher, Danielle, has been diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. She is a single mom of 4 and is an adjunct professor (no health insurance). So, we've been involved for the last couple of months helping to put together a benefit for Danielle. It was this last Sunday and it was amazing. Lots of people showed. Lots of gift baskets were raffled off.

So. I did this painting to be raffled off. The couple who ended up winning it were thrilled. Saying it was to go above their fireplace and replace their picture of Jesus Christ. That was awfully nice to hear. That my artwork was going in lieu of Lord and Savior. They were so happy, it was a gift to me.

Angel of Cancer Research
About 3 weeks ago, Millie and I shaved our heads in support of Danielle. We had a mini-fundraising at TC3, where other students shaved their heads and folks paid a couple of bucks to touch Millie's head. On Sunday, I re-shaved Millie's head for the Benefit (I wanted to do mine too, but we ran out of time and had to get there!). Our neighbor, Denise, does these amazing face paintings and asked if she could paint Millie's head. Viola! Got the pic!!!

Millie's Face painting at Danielle's Cancer Benefit
I also had a table right next to Denise doing sketches for kids at the Benefit. It was fun. I'm only sorry that I thought of taking photos of my sketches at the tail end. It was really interesting. I did a lot of animals.... 3 owls, 1 buck, 1 wolf, 1 king cobra among others. Frozen characters were also the big request, I did 3 Annas and 2 Elsas and 1 Olaf. I haven't seen the movie yet, thankfully, my iphone could bring up reference on all of these things.

So I got a couple of sketches from the Benefit to share. Not the clearest snapshots, I played with them a bit digitally trying to punch the contrast in Photoshop:

Storn

Explorer
Finally, I get to talk about a project that I've been sitting on for awhile! Ribbons is a comic Kickstart, created by its writer, Justin Evans. If the Kickstart succeeds, I get to do the art chores. The tagline is this: What if Las Vegas was a battleground for souls ... and you just inherited a brothel?

Here is the link to the Kickstart page and will tell you plenty more about the Ribbons graphic novel. Including a video for folks who don't feel like reading at this very moment (but I would think folks who like comics tend to like to read! <g>)

The link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/851906653/ribbons

And now to tease you and hopefully entice you into backing said Kickstart, some art I've done for Ribbons!

Here is a mock up of the cover. I slapped down that type face just to show what I was thinking while I was working on it, just to show Justin that we could possibly put the title in the lower quadrant than the more traditional, up at the top. Not sure if that is going to stick yet. Justin liked it.

Here is page 1 and example of the final product. I'm doing pencil with sorta digital washes to allow the pencil grit to come/seep through. Which I think is appropriate for a urban mystic noir vibe, yet still be readable.

Next are pages 2 and 3 and these are just pencils and are a bit rough and sketchy (by design). These will go to finishes if the Kickstart gets Started!

Storn

Explorer
First off, if you love comics and you haven't backed Ribbons, my possible modern mysticism noir series... you should.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/851906653/ribbons

I've got some cards and such to do, which I can't show until they are released. At which point, I always forget to post them (reminder to me, post some AEG L5r cards that just released soon!) But I do have some odds and ends of commissions and some doodles for a Storium game.

First up, another in Paul L's ongoing Vampire realm...

Vampire and Victim

Next, another one of death tribble's commissions. This time it is Manta Ray (which has been used in other places). I tried to keep him aquatic, but obviously suit like and while the DC Manta Ray was to be referenced, it wasn't to be copied out right. I actually looked at a lot of pics of real manta rays while trying to design the costume. I liked how it turned out.

Manta Ray

Next up was a duo commission. Don't do those very often and this was fun. Army Ant and Firefly. Very specific color choices asked for by the patron. And that AA was shorter. As a short guy myself, I was really happy to have such a heroic guy representing us vertically challenged folk.

Army Ant and Firefly

Lastly, this was a doodle bust shot of My character in a scifi Storium game about space repo/bounty hunters. Storium is really a cool web based game system, very simple, very elegant that I am in the beta of and am supporting through Kickstarter. I'm really impressed. It uses cards to overcome challenges set by the Narrator (re: GM/DM) and the cards also determine who gets to narrate the outcome of the challenge.

If you haven't checked out Storium, you should, here is the kickstart link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stlhood/storium-the-online-storytelling-game

And here is my doodle of my character, Alton alMazeer, ex psi-op, reluctant bounty hunter.

Storn

Explorer
First off, John Wick's Wield kickstarter is off and running today!!! And it already has met 2 of its stretch goals as I write this. It seems like a really cool little game where you play an artifact, like Stormbringer, instead of "human" protagonist like Elric. I posted the cover art before, but will do it again, as well as two of the interiors I did for the book.
Here is the link to the Wield kickstart: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2006204732/wield-a-little-game-about-ancient-powers

And here is the cover and interiors:

Next up is a new project for me. I call it the bugs and drugs. I'm working with Mitreos development and this is a Kickstarter project that already was successful before I was called in. The idea is to take various viruses and illness as well as beneficial drugs and such, and make a fantasy world out of them. So, for example, I was called upon to do Streptomycin.

Here is my exact illo brief: A shepherd (female) guarding horses, cattle, sheep, and orchards, with a glowing Shepherd's staff. She recently changed sides to the forces of good even though she used to be a bacteria (the antibiotic is actually a byproduct of bacteria)
From little I have seen, it is really neat stuff. My wife, the nursing professor, was mildly amused too. And from the art side, it is an interesting challenge, as the art serves quite a few masters. There is a roleplaying tome like two page spread (so the character is alone, no background), as well as posters, as well as art for the collectible card game. I did the art quite large for the poster size stuff and worked down from there.

Next, I'm working on Ertapenem, another "good guy" heroine drug interpretation.

The link to their website is here: http://bacterionomicon.com/
And the art!

Hope y'all get a kick outta the artwork.

Remove ads