Story Hour Fatigue

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Oh, and while I'm on a roll with the good advice, note that writing THREE Story Hours simultaneously does NOT noticeably reduce SH fatigue.

What am I, dumb or something?

diaglo

Adventurer
write what you can, when you feel like it.

that's what i do.

most of the time i have to do within 2 weeks of the last session... otherwise i forget.

but i'm sure you don't suffer from faulty memory.

updates are just that updates. some can be short and sweet.

some can be lengthy.

and some can be the norm.

pogre

Legend
Sep,

This thread helped bust me out of my "fatigue." I followed PC's advice of posting a quick summary and it really helped jumpstart me again. Now, my writing is no where near your quality, but I did want to suggest it again to you.

Even if you decide not to pick up the story hour quill again thanks for this thread.

Shayuri

First Post
As the writer of a short-lived and seldom-read Story Hour that capsized from the very thing you speak of, I feel some empathy for your plight, Sep. What kept me writing was that it was fun. When it stopped being fun, suddenly I couldn't find time to write anymore. :)

I suspect the reasons I lost the fun are different than yours in many ways. For example, I felt discouraged right out of the gate at what I felt was a low response. Of course, that was a long time ago, and I didn't realize how naive I was being. :) And clearly, not an issue for you.

But the backlog thing, I can very MUCH relate to. I think that was the big thing that killed it for me, and here's why. In the GAME, I was having fun doing things right then and there! Then I'd get to the computer and realize I had all this OTHER STUFF to write before I could get to the cool stuff I just finished playing! And even though the other stuff was fun too, back when I played it...NOW it seemed boring and passe'.

I think I could have recaptured it, had I done what a couple of other people in this thread suggested. Bundle up all (or as much as you can) of that OTHER STUFF...and narrate it away. Sweep it under the carpet. You might even NOT narrate it, and instead suddenly jump forward in time. Then, as you write about the cool, current stuff, you might find ways to work the backstory in...in the form of flashbacks, memories, dialogue...etc. I suspect that would make it far more interesting and entertaining -for you-, while still fulfilling the reader's need for continuity. And later, once you're back into the groove and the Writer's Turbine is running smoothly, perhaps you can sit down and write out "Of Shadow and Flame: The Battle for Afqithan." Or whatever. :)

Other tricks that sometimes help me out.

Write a "trailer" for the next section. You know, like a movie trailer. Sorta like...

(Cue deep rolling timpani with somber voices chanting Latin softly in the background)

Deep Voiced Movie Trailer Guy: "In a land steeped in darkness..."

(Rolling shot over grinning, horrible demonic faces with glowing eyes and brimstone breath...pan back slowly to show row after row of them, as far as the eye can see, with some bigger, even worse ones lined up farther back, outlined by lightning against a turbulent, thunderstorming sky)

...and so on. Don't wanna go into TOO much detail. :)

Trailers are awesome for zapping fatigue though. Imagine that a story is like a tall, cool glass of presweetened Kool Aid. A trailer for a story is like sucking the Kool Aid crystrals right out of the bag. It's like slamming Pop Rocks and Pepsi. At least, it helped get me going again when I was fading out. Eventually other problems killed my Story Hour, but ultimately that's how it goes sometimes. It was no biggy. But you, sir...your Story Hour touches a lot of people. It'd be a tragedy if it were to disappear.

We prescribe a jump cut to more current events, and perhaps a Trailer. Give it a shot and see what happens!

Good luck, Sep.

Hi Sep,

You most probably don't know me because I've never posted on your thread or anything - although I have read your story at least four times and thoroughly enjoyed it. I feel a little silly offering advice considering all the great Enworld SH Authors that have written on this thread already to the most famous writer here - your good self. However and besides, I shall continue with poor grace.

Essentially what I suggest is this: write three paragraphs only!

Then press New Reply, copy it over and hover the arrow over the Submit Reply button. Let the thought of sliding it slightly right to the Preview Post filter through your mind and try and resist it. Then press the Preview Post button anyway. Give it a quick read out aloud making sure you have not performed some embarrassingly mundane grammatical error or spelling mistake and then before your brain can scream "no", press the Submit Message button.

However, believe it or not, this is the easy part. The hard bit is writing three more paragraphs no more than two days later. Let them sit for a couple of days and then submit it again. Keep doing this. I think there are two things you have lost you see. The first is the habit of writing a storyhour. You're out of shape. You're SH writing-fitness is up the ****. The second though is the most important. If you do what I suggest though, this one will come. You'll remember and realise that you actually have a damn good story worth writing.

I suggest this to you most humbly.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

PS: [pimp] I can't let the opportunity go by not to pimp my SH to THE writer of story hours. If you are of a mind and have a spare moment - check out The Happenings of Lucifus Cray and make comment if you feel sufficient motivation. Like yourself, my style has been heavily influenced by the creative genius of Jack Vance. While I'm nowhere near in his (or your) league yet - I hope to eventually get there one day. Have a read, if only to screw up your nose, turn to your SH and show me how it's REALLY done. :)
Hope to hear from you soon. [/pimp]

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I don't have a story hour, but I do have a suggestion from my other writing experience. Writing an account of what has happened is grueling. You have to remember what happened, who said what, and why, and how everything related. If something gets in there that doesn't hang together logically someone's going to notice it. Pure fiction, on the other hand, is more fun. You make it up as you go along and noone's ever going to say "but my character never did that!" My suggestion would be to intersperse your story hour with some pure fiction about backstory or what's happeneing elsehwere or the fate of an NPC that's no longer relevant to the story just to get into the writing groove, then write something for your story hour.

Amal Shukup

First Post
I'm thinking, from reading your (cannot be praised highly enough) Story Hour, that there are two things in particular that you seem to really ENJOY writing. (I could, of course, be completely nuts here):

1. Scenes where your PCs/NPCs really 'throw down'/do something stunningly cool
2. Introspective Theological dialogue/exposition

These bits are of course connected by all kinds of narrative, establishing scenes, set up, buffing, coping with consequences and the like.

So, assuming I'm correct in my assessment, treat yourself: Write some of the 'fun' stuff - not 'what's next', just something that you're going to ENJOY writing.

When opportunity/inspiration presents itself, you can come back and fill in the 'in between' bits, or write 'cut scenes' or simply move on to the NEXT/CURRENT arc and use the 'good bits' as flashback scenes...

You don't even need to post these (gasp! horrors!!) until/unless it suits you. Really, it's a matter of reconnecting with the writing in such a way that it is enjoyable for YOU. You don't owe us readers anything. If you never post another word, we're all still WAY ahead.

On a related note, the work (while obviously rough) is really, really good. I certainly enjoy it more than Jordan's/Goodkinds' ongoing excreta anyway: If I there IS a way to strip out the 'copyrighted gaming material OR (less likely) a way to convince WoTC to publish something that a) is not in one of their settings, b) features the whole Paladin/Succubus 'thang', and c) covers some controversial religious ground, I would suggest retrofitting for novelization.... Or Graphic Novelization... Oh yeah, I'd buy that...

A'Mal

Rackhir

Explorer
Would you like a secretary? I have a cell phone with free long distance and more minutes than I could ever use. I'd be happy to take dictation for you to get it at least into a file. In my abortive attempts as writing story hour entries I always found that there was something about the process of typing that seemed to get in the way of the ideas I had for how to write something.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Well I stated 2 years into a campaign and I'm probably around 130 game sessions behind, but I'm still posting every single week. Of course I just started up a new campaign so I'm going to have to balance th schedule of updating both of them on some sort of timetable.

I figure that eventually I may start to run into a slow period, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Plus, commentary makes it all worth it every week :)

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Hi, Sep.

Just found this thread from the new Wyre update link. I wish I'd found it earlier. I didn't realize you'd been feeling some frustration with the writing process. Sorry to bug your old threads so much about updates! :)

General suggestion about writing (I work as a writer): allow the writing to fail.

That's hard, especially when 1) you have hordes of groundlings clamoring for the next scene (of which I am certainly guilty with regard to your story hour), and 2) no one likes to imagine that their creative processes "fail."

But it's important to allow the Creative to fail. Story's not always going to be good. It may seem stilted, or jumbled, or too intricate, or it may not arrive at all. You sit down to write, and nothing happens. Or you sit down to write, and something happens, and that something is a feeling of repulsion from the writing. You have to allow that to be o.k. Once you start to realize that the writing doesn't have to be magic all the time (or even anytime), you can move forward. Then, the magic comes of its own accord, and you just happen to be the fingertips that help it get to the page. It's not always going to fail. In most cases, it's going to triumph, but occasionally, it won't, and that's fine.

On the other side of things, we, you're readers, need to allow the work we read to fail, as well. I don't think students learn this in literature courses very much. It's o.k. Not every book (or chapter, or scene, or sonnet, or whatever) is going to be great, even when all the world seems to say it is. I'm not saying your writing isn't great (because I think it is great), but we, the readers, have to have faith that it will turn out o.k., and if it doesn't (that is, if every installment doesn't have us RIVETED TO THE SCREEN!) that's o.k. This is to encourage you not to put negative pressure on yourself, nor your readers to put negative pressure on you. I say negative, because some pressure is good, inspiring, helpful, necessary. But if you've got anxiety because you feel you have to "live up," then it sounds like it's not fun, and that's a problem. As KidCthulhu mentioned, this is just story hour. It's not life-saving surgery. You're contributing something valuable, and you're a tremendous writer, and I'd like to think we're all tremendous readers, but this is a game, and a damn fun one, and sometimes it just needs to be fun, for you as much as for the readers. More so, really, because you're the one doing the work!

The other advice here is excellent. Though many people derive pleasure from your work, it ultimately has to please you. If it doesn't, maybe it's time to stop (or at least take a break). As much as I've hated to see games and campaigns come to an end in the past, they do. Books end. Paintings stop receiving brush strokes. Symphonies have a final note. You can always revisit them, but they do end. If writing's causing you too much distress, if it has stopped being good for you, then take a break. Unless you're writing to deadline for contract reasons, or you're writing to exorcise some personal demon, it shouldn't be a source of chronic displeasure. And sometimes, it's not supposed to be roses, and when it isn't fun, you have to allow it to be o.k. that it's not fun. If it's not time for the stories to end, maybe it's enough to take a break. Write something else. Get some exercise. Read, including (and sometimes especially) things that aren't related to gaming AT ALL. Travel. All of the things that help a DM recover from burnout apply to writers, artists, pretty much everyone who gets bogged down by what they love. Even the best job in the world is still, sometimes, a job.

I've babbled enough (and probably incoherently). I wish you good writing, for YOURSELF.

Warrior Poet

Remove ads