[Story Hour Sampler] Post Your Favorite Story Hour Installment

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Hey, it has been about a month without any more samples. . .

I am slowly working my way through all of these, and I don't think I am the only one - so feel free to add to it. . .

Enkhidu

Explorer
For those doing the same thing as Nemm (slogging through them all), don;t be afriad to post comments and such - I'm sure the writers will appreciate it!

THE CREATION SCHEMA

This is an Eberron Campaign that I am DMing twice a month with a group of five players. These players have between 5 and 0 years of experience with DnD. Play style is clearly reflected as some think out the problems and want intrigue and others want to kick down doors and destroy whatever is on the otherside.

The Creation Schema is planned to run from 1st level to about 16-18th level and thus will take a good two years to complete. I try to use as much pre-made adventures as I can due to time restraints and because I never have and thought it may be fun to do and fun for readers to see how different it turns out.

The Creation Schema is a puzzle that aids in the creation of warforged or placing life into a non-living construct. Anyone with this power has a great deal of advantage and influence.

Factions thus far revealed are two seperate branches of House Cannith, The warforged lead by Lord of Blades, The Emerald Claw and now one of the PCs hoping to gain introduction to the semi-secret spy network of the gnomes of Zilargo- The Trust. Another faction has been introduced but not revealed to the players.

Intrigue. or at least a good game of " Hot Potato"

I try to keep the action fast and free with many laughs.

I use an unique logging method for my ALL my Storyhours (3 running- 1 to begin this summer) called Segments. It makes reading easier and researching easier.

The lead up-

Of the five members, only two have survived the trip to the ruined country of Cyre (Mournlands). They are Boddynoc Grinkle and Cedious. Boddynoc hopes to use the Schema to further the power and influence of his race the gnomes. He is the team leader and thinker. Cedious is a halfling rogue whom likes anything to get a buzz and often gets the group into trouble. The three new members will be introduced on the ship they are boarding.

Boddynoc just made a grievious error and thus has been robbed of most of his schemas and most importantly- the baseplate. Unknown to him, House Cannith is on the verge of fracturing. Three heads are currently trying to gain power to become THE head of the House. Whomever has the Creation Schema will most likely be the head.

They were set up by an agent of Cannith South and as a result, Boddynoc has been taken captive on a prisoner ship. Cedious, as always, managed to escape but hid outside the ship using an invisibility potion.

There are many dangerous prisoners on board including (unknown to them- a serial killer of Gnomes known as Fracture Makker- An Ogre). Boddynoc has given to despair while Cedious is attempting to board the ship. Unknown to anyone, another figure is doing the same thing.

To top it off, it is night and a severe storm has risen that threatens to destroy the massive armored ship.

Then it gets difficult .....

EBERRON
01/01/05
SEGMENT 032
STORMS OF DECIET

The two guards were very used to this kind of storm. The rise and fall. The rocking. Even the vibration of crashing into waves and walls of the swells. Boddynoc was not.

What set him off was not the weather. It was looking at the bald human next to him whom was green. The barbarian next to him ate something green. From across the cells a smell of something worse was rising. It was a storm. A bad one. Boddynoc had heard of such storms. Even when overhearing a House Lyrandar member was aboard didn’t help his unease however. This Dragonmarked House controlled weather and thus was greatly involving in agriculture and …trade. Especially sea trade. They could influence the very weather. However, there was a limit and Boddynoc was certain this storm exceeded that limit. In a perverse way, he was glad the captain was going to die with him.

His negative introverted thoughts are interrupted by the rage of the barbarian next to him. He is convinced the ship is going down and he wants free. The guards do little as the ship swells. They merely steady themselves and wait it out.

Then Boddynoc picks up on something. It is not the warforged playing mindgames with the monk. Nor is it the frightened barbarian next to him. No –something he can hear. After each thooming thud of the ship falling back into the water something else is striking the ship. Something nearby. Boddynoc, now with something to interest him sits upright and pays attention to everything happening around him. He spots the food brought to them long ago. The creature across from him has a clay plate and carefully has broken it to create a sharp edged stabbing weapon. The far warforged is looking at the bars carefully. He sees they are attached to the wooden hull and floor using large heavy and strong spikes. The guards are also watching a vent more carefully than before. Then looking carefully, it is just a vent- There is a large holding cell there. Something big and possibly dangerous is within an enclosed holding cell.

Suddenly, Boddynoc has new insight –maybe there can be a way out. If these people will not give up yet- why should he. After all- he is a gnome damn it.

The creature across from Boddynoc gives up on the idea of slicing up a guard. The bastards are keeping a good distance from him. He gets up and the chains hang heavily on his arms and upper body. Still, it seems to be thinking of something. Even the warforged that rarely moves turns to him.

“RAAAARRRRGH!” and he rushes the bars. WHAM! And he stumbles back a few steps. The guards glare at him as if that was enough to silence it.

“RRRAAAARGH!” and he rushes the bars again and strikes it even as thunder crashes overhead creating an eerie moment of silence.

The warforged stands up and looks over head. A bolt has been broken! He calls out to the creature- but the storm makes it impossible to hear. He motions for him to do it again.

Boddynoc has no idea what is going on. But still- the warforged is alert and seems to note everything that happens and suddenly has an idea or thought of action. Maybe he knows something that eludes him. Boddynoc watches with intense emotions.

BOOOOOOM! A board cracks within the secret holding cell. Suddenly the guards look panicked. They are ignoring the Creature and warforged now. One staggers back to a pull string and begins to yang on it several times.

BOOOOOM!…..aghhhhh! Yells Cedious as the thunders hurts his head. He has finally made it to the top rail. He begins to climb over when suddenly the ship pitches and he is thrown over …again. This makes the third time. Someone is going to die for this.

The creature’s screams of rage hide the sound of two more bolts that break. The creature, a warforged with adamantine plating and one of the barbarians are now charging and striking the cells in unison. With their combined force they are breaking the bolts that hold the entire iron cage to the ship! The other barbarian has noted a 3-inch gap that was not there before and is trying to force it wider. A guard finally notices there is a method to the madness and goes for a crossbow.

= be prepared to act=

“huh?!?” thinks Boddynoc. That was from within my head.

The warforged that is aiding in the attacks on the cell thinks he saw something in the shadows in the hallway but dismisses it and goes back to pounding the cell.

BOOOOOM another board cracks and a large pale hand reaches out and tries to wrench more boards free. A guard fires at the hand but misses as the ship pitches again. The guard stumbles back to the wall for support and goes to reload. Excitement getting the better of him, Boddynoc reaches out with his magic and castes a fusion onto the armor of the guards.

[I forgot to gag him darn it! And not all spells require use of hands errrrr my bad]

THROOOM! And over he goes again onto the deck. Cedious spots the long haired youngman trying to control the ship and one crewman doing his best to secure lines and equipment. Cedious unties himself and tries to sneak up on the man. There is just no way to do this, thinks Cedious as he half stumbles into the man as the ship pitches forward. He nearly losses his last meal as the ship rises and falls thirty feet! The man is unarmed and easily taken out. Cedious considers killing the pilot whom has seen him but notes two things-

1- The man is too occupied controlling the ship to do anything else
2- Without this man- the ship may go down.

Let him live ...at least until after the storm.

He stumbles and slides across the upper deck and nearly becomes airborne as he strikes a ballista. He rolls and fumbles to the rail overlooking the main deck. There he sees 6 men working their way to the stairs leading down.

Cedious smiles. It has to be Boddynoc. He is escaping.

Go to the links below in my Signature to find out what else lead to this moment and how they get off ...they do.

STRIKEFORCE: MORITURI

I once sat down and thought about how different "my" Forgotten Realms was compared to "John's". Then how different it was from the published books to stories I have read here on En World. And I began to think.....

I had always wanted to try an Epic level story but never had the core idea. What could happen to bring Epic level heroes together for a campaign.

I also thought alot about how different game worlds were different and why.

Then on one boring afternoon at work it came to me.....

The idea of this Storyhour (Which I DM and roll/role play also) is simple-

What if there were alternate timelines and histories? The published work was the core line and how we as players and DMs created "branches" from this creating alternate realities.

Yes I know- it's been done before in movies, TV and books ...but in DnD?

Now what if I created a threat that wanted to destroy these branches (thus all of our stories and games?). What could be done to stop this?

Enter Strikeforce: Morituri. The arch-goddess of realities (Infiniti) has chosen several special protectors of the multiverse to stop this force from gaining power. How will an arch-god gain power? Through arifacts he/it created. These artifacts were caste throughout the multiverses to stop his resurrection from ever happening. But he has his own strikeforce.

The Heroes-

The Captain
Think Captain America (oh yeah- mixed types of games also) He died at the end of WWII when The Red Man (now the Red Lich) discovers magic. He is resurrected and made the team leader. He is 20th level fighter.

Storm Weilder
A sorcerer from Kalamar whom specializes in weather. She loves life and all it's about. Recently she was made into a Corpse Creature and now loathes her exsistance. She is a 18th level sorcerer with +1 for Corpse Creature

Vander Stormbringer
A psychic warrior / fighter from the world of Darksun just as the Cleansing Wars began. He has lived a rough and morbid life. He may be the unluckiest man alive. He has been a devil's plaything, lived on Acheron and traveled to many worlds he dosen't know or understand. He lives by two things- his psionic armor and his psionic Falchion. Look out when he says "I defy you." Body parts tend to go flying. He is a 9th level Psychic Warrior and 9th level Fighter.

Christina
Where to begin....? 18th level cleric of Infiniti. She originates from Ravenloft. She had a powerful curse placed on her. Her mother is too suffer or die horribly before her. Sounds bad right. Now think about the fact she travels the multiverse. Her "true" mother died and became a ghost that travels with her. Another time within Ravenloft, she found her mother's essence forced into a powerful Mace. Another time her mother turned out to be a cat familiar from a very powerful mage. So she has three "mothers" that travel with her. Currently she has become romantically (and then some) involved with another party member-

Megamania
Born 1969 in a small town in Vermont ....
He has a strange origin also. He has incredible reflexes and a destiny. He was to kill the antichrist. He became a US spy and troubleshooter then began to have horrid dreams. Eventually he learned the dreams were true and tried to convince the government to "remove" a dictator. Didn't happen. He tried on his own and failed. He was dishonorably discharged and placed in military prison. Escaped and tried again. Died this time.
He is now a 10th level rogue. He doesn't believe in magic, dragons or elves. He is sarcastic and at times mean hearted. Anything to cover his fear. He has also discovered something new- he has Spellfire. 10 levels of it. He is still trying to learn how to use it and needs to quickly as he is running out of ammo for his energy gun. Once a ladies man, he is having a hard time dealing with his deep emotions and feelings he has for Christina.

Sasha
Newest team member. Still largely a mystery. She seems to be highly clairvoyant. She seems to know a lot of everything but won't discuss it with anyone. She is the teams only none human. By birth, she is an Oathbound Aurad. She is a cleric of Infiniti/mage and Theuromage with a total of 18 levels.

Villians include Peter David's future Imperfect evil Hulk, Red Lich, Vandal Boc and Jarella (a psionic assassin doppleganger)

Favorite moments include Megamania's introduction to elves and his strange healing magic of- CPR, Vander vs The Jaws of Sorrow (Jaws but much, much, much worse) and this one-

Here the team is near the worst defeat they have ever had. Vander is dead (he'll be back but in 3.5 format), Christina is missing (found within the lair of a possessing Horned Devil) but the good news is rating are high. They are currently within a large "Running man / X-Crawl" game televised throughout the planes.

As mentioned before with The Creation Schema, I use numbered Segments to track stories, plots, characters and etc... which helps readers also know where they left off.

Now- for the Admantine Golem

SEGMENT 069
“Adamantine Might”

The Golem only shudders a bit as the three blasts from Megamania’s energy gun strikes it. Jean unleashes a large lightning bolt, which strikes but crackles around the Golem. It is immune to her lightning! The captain unleashes his artifact. It strikes true in the massive chest of the Adamantine Golem. As the Golem looks down to see what has struck it the shield whirls away and strikes it again on the arm. The Golem, now aware of it’s attacker, tries to swat away the insect. Though it misses, the shield swoops but only skips off two more times before returning magically to the Captain’s outstretched hand. Fae and Celion take cover. They know this is beyond their abilities.

The huge construct turns its attention to the Captain whom it goes to kick. The Captain moves away keeping the golem at range.

Megamania fires away again hoping against hope against what to his mind is a giant well-armored robot. The shots all strike its knee and discolor the armor there. If it hurt it, it doesn’t show. Jean tries a new trick- she calls up the icy air and moisture from high in the sky and calls it to strike the Golem. Thick ice develops on its back and arms. The arm holding the limp minotaur becomes frozen to its side. The Captain unleashes his shield again hoping for the power of truth and justice to guide his aim. The shield flies true but strikes ice as it forms (rolled a natural one) and becomes incased in the ice. The magic of the shield causes it to move to break through the ice storm before returning to the Captain. The elves ponder what to do. Fae knows better but pulls out his bow and arrows. Celion prepares healing spells feeling these will be in great need soon.

The Golem reaches the Captain and steps on him. He uses his shield to brace himself but finds the great weight forces him and shield into the ground. The Captain can feel an arm snap and several ribs go as the shield is used against him. The Golem takes another step then turns to locate the other subject that shot it several times. Its limited intelligence knows these gnats want what it guards and it will not relinquish it to them.

Megamania notes the shadow that over takes him and he runs for it. It is not a wild run without reason. He hopes to lead it to soft ground and slow it down. Jean concentrates once more. She is going to strike the golem with the fury of nature. She tries to maximize the energies involved as best as she can. Her now undead hands flak and crack as she rapidly twists and wriggles them in the arcane patterns needed. Though the words are correct, the sweet innocent sound is replaced by a dry voice of an undead thinking zombie. Ice and wind form around the head of the golem. A mini but powerful blizzard has magically started. Hail the size of large fruit pummels at it and ice several inches thick form. The minotaur is now frozen to its hand. Jarella, the shapechanger begins to awake as the fierce and unnatural cold creeps to her.

The elves wait for the Golem to take a few large steps away from the fallen Captain. Fae puts down his bow and arrows to pull the shield literally out of the captain. The shield speaks to him. The Lawful Good essence of it speaks to the Paladin. This human has no idea what he holds thinks the elf as he considers using and keeping the artifact. Celion is quick to remove pieces of the scale armor from his ravaged and crushed body. She directs her most powerful healing powers into him hoping to seal up his torn open stomach. She fears the worse as the Captain shudders and twitches. His body has taken a lot of damage and it is going into shock.

Megamania leaps and tumbles over pieces of broken wall and column trying to lead the golem to a patch of very wet ground. Several Orcs are there, all wet and bloodied. They are angry and have just only crawled out of the underground river. The leader sees Megamania running with his head turned over his shoulder. An easy target. Then the wall bursts and the 30 foot tall Adamantine Golem appears. Now becoming tired, Jean tries more ice as she substitutes electricity for cold and castes that at the golem. The golem is immune to the direct damage but it is carrying tons of ice and snow now on its massive back and shoulders. It is not slowing down yet but its steps are shattering the stone walk it walks on. The Orcs scatter and become airborne as the golem steps onto one end of a column they had climbed onto. Like a great catapult, the three surviving orcs find themselves airborne and land past the others in a wet and messy thud. Fae can only give a quick curse of satisfaction seeing their dead bodies.

Celion tries more healing magic. The Captain has stopped shaking but is still very pale. Then Fae hears something. He hears a great and powerful voice in his mind. His eyes go wide and kneels beside the Captain. Celion, now too tired to stop him, leans back. With a look of rapture and tears , he goes to Lay on Hands. The shield glows and somehow channels positive energy to him then to the Captain. Bones reform and torn organs nit and pump. The adrenaline pumps fast and furious as the Captain’s own eyes open up wide. The Rapture now spreads to him. The armor itself begins to rethread and reattach. The power of the gods are being channeled!

Jarella looks from the safe distance of a broken building. She admires the efforts of the heroes. Vander is dead. Jean is a mockery of her beautiful body. The Captain is nearly dead put is healing through sheer will. What is their reward? She will be paid a kingdom’s ransom. They fight now …out of caring and fellowship. She puts her head down in disgrace and dishonor then pushes the button to return to her employer with the prize. The great staff.

It is not until the golem has sunken to its thighs that it computes its situation and how the blue humanoid has escaped with the prize it was to protect. As close to anger as an unfeeling construct can feel, it tries to tear through the soft mud. All it does is free space for water, which causes it to sink further. The tons of ice begin to push it down deeper and the water freed up by melting makes the ground softer. It is trapped …but not destoried.

The heroes meet in a semi-circle. Megamania goes to retrieve something that has fallen. The flag of victory. He brings it to the two elves and thanks them for saving the Captain. Fae looks at the shield then at the Captain. “I am honored to meet you.”

The Captain replies likewise and takes the outstretched shield. It feels good to hold the shield.

“How do we leave?” asks Jean. “Christina is gone. She had the ability to planeshift.”

“Vander”

“What was that Jim?” asks Jean.

“Vander had a gem that was encoded for returning to home. He should still have it on him.”

After a few moments of searching the body, they find a gem they do not know. “How do we activate it?” asks Jim.

“Think of home. It is psionic afterall.” Answers the Captain. A new glint of hope in his eye.

The surviving members of the Champions of Infiniti think of home and slowly phase out of view. The two elves are left alone as the winners of The World Below.

“The Captain is a good man.” Sighs Fae. “He carries a means of touching the gods directly. I ..I..I heard the voice of Corellon Larethian. He said I would do the …right thing.”

“and you did.” Replys Celion. “and you did.”

Enkhidu said:
For those doing the same thing as Nemm (slogging through them all), don;t be afriad to post comments and such - I'm sure the writers will appreciate it!

I personally live on it. Even critism (constructive that is) I enjoy.

UNDER A DARKSUN

Athas has always been my favorite game world and I wanted to do a storyhour about it. I wanted to drag in the Dragon-kings, Avangions and everything that goes with it. How to do this?

I created Mania.

Mania is a mystery. He is incredibly fast, quick and charming (stats all = 18) but he is immature and hasty at times. He is also the center of a legend that suggests the sun of a Dragon-king will bring an age of hope and peace. How this is done is up for comment. Many think it will be through rebellion of the slaves and others think he will simpily overtake the evil and replace it with his own.

Now throw in the Pyreen whom are trying to sort this out and some others and you get a story going.

The segment I decided on has nothing (at least currently) to do with him. It has to do with a teammate whom has been kidnapped. She is a bard and the king of the Hej-kin heard her singing and wants her to sing for him and his bride at their wedding.

I decided on this one to show my strange sense of humor I use.

Currently, the story revolves around Mania whom has learned his father was Bane, a powerful Sorcerer-King. He has learned he is over 50 years old but looks about 18 only. He has learned of the myths and legends but doesn't believe in them. Cosa, a Veiled Alliance member of Nobenay is his guide, lover and best friend. She joined him when reading about him in a journal that predicts he will forever alter the world of Athas. Belinda is a psychic warrior that is a thrill seeker and bored with life. Wherever Mania and Cosa go however, someone wants to kill them which breaks up this boredom.

Currently they are in Balic. Mania has become a slave and is set to battle in the arena there. Cosa has been chosen by an occultist of fire to use in a rite. Belinda is trying to figure out how to save either one of them.

I have not updated this one in a bit but hope to soon to complete it/end it at a good point.

Links are below

UNDER A DARKSUN
SEGMENT 093
“Secret Admirers”

[Translated for reader’s ease]

“Eyyyye! There was no harm to come to her! He will be so unhappy with us! Pray she is not dead!”

“”Prince! Prince, we found her this way! We felt her strike the stone gate and we found her prone at its base! We have done nothing wrong!”

The four ugly short squat humanoids shuffled forward carrying a very prone and unconscience Glaze on their hard shoulders. Their noses were long and warted with hair growing from within it. Their small eyes say well in the darkness. Their short legs made them waddle instead of walk. Their fingers and toes each ended in long chipped nails. Their skin was rough and textured. They were Hej-kin.

Hej-kin were cavern dwellers that kept to themselves and their worship of the earth. They disliked and distrusted other humanoids due to the use of magics and construction using earth and stone. They phased in and out of solid stone and earth at will. Few knew they existed at all.

“Eyyyye! We are late with her! The king will not be happy!” they voiced in unison.

They phased from one pocket to another with enough precision to impress any earthen cleric. They carried her carefully being sure not to drop her or lose contact with her. To do so would soil the very stone and earth they worship.

Finally, after forty minutes of travel, they reach a large dark room and place her carefully on the ground. Their darkvision reveals the stern angry look of a fat cloaked Hej-kin sitting on a rock slab. His face brightens as a soft murmur escapes from her lips. She rolls over onto her stomach. All watch her carefully.

Still hazy she listened carefully before moving further. She was alone and possibly in the dark. She remembered leaning over to avoid getting the sand in her eyes and she hit her head hard on the rock she was using to shield herself. She then remembers hearing guttural murmurs and then found herself on the cold hard rock. When she opened her eyes she say nothing but complete darkness.

She was not alone however. She could hear them. One especially whom sounded like a fat man breathing after walking a long distance. Concentrating, she listened carefully. She could occasionally hear something-hard scrap on stone. It was everywhere. She was surrounded!

“Why does she not make pretty sounds? I want pretty sounds!” said the fat Hej-kin.

“Eyyyye! It is not a toy sir. She will make pretty sounds only when she wants too. Says a Hej-kin in tattered leather armor.

“Make pretty sounds!”

She moans again.

“Ohhh! Pretty sounds begin!”

“Eyyyye!” thinks the clothed Hej-kin to himself.

Silence.

“No more pretty sounds? It is broken? Fix! Grakt fix pretty sound! Grakt!” screams out the fat ruler.

Scrapping sounds can be heard. She peers with her eyes mostly closed. Nothing. It is as dark as Dessantee’s globe. The scrapping comes closer.

Grakt waddles up to her. He stops and peers at her then decides to go closer. “Fix!” he hears from the king.

Grakt looks up and down her prone body. The king catches him staring at her rising and falling chest. “Fix not watch!” he howls.

He leans over her with his razor sharp claws inches from her head. “I’m afraid. I might hurt it more with my touch. It is so soft. We are so tough.” He pleads to the ruler.

“Fix! Or I fix you!”

“Eyyyye. Sir…he may be right.” Comments the armored one.

The other Hej-kin now grow wary, as the king is becoming unhappy. When he becomes unhappy, others do also.

Grakt leans over her, his claws now a mere inch from her face.

She can smell and feel his breath and opens her eyes. She sees nothing but gets an earful still. “A! Pretty thing fix itself!”

“Eyyyye” mumbles further the armored Hej-kin. He steps down from his rock and walks slowly to the fixer and the pretty sounding thing. “She awakens, “ he says.

“What is pretty thing doing now?” asks the ruler.

“Ahhhhh! Casting spell she is!” screams the fixer Grakt. He leans in to attack but is stopped by the armored one. Both of them and the other 15 hej-kin all scream in unison as several balls of light pop into existence and wave about lighting up much of the room.

Even prepared for it, Glaze is blinded by the burst of light. Her dancing lights encircle her evolving close then away then close to her again. “Uggggh” is all she can say once she sees Grakt and the armored humanoid. “You guys are ugly!” She pulls out her dagger now and says “Dayglow”. The dagger glows a soft green light.

“Ohhhh….pretty!” says one Hej-kin whom is then struck by a fellow hej-kin. “Magic…bad magic.”

Her eyes adjust to the darkness and light sources now. She looks about and sees a total of 15 creatures. Worse, fifteen naked and ugly creatures. She figures the ruler and the two closest to her to be the smartest and leaders.

“Where am I? How did I get here? Who are you are?” She tries to pantomime her questions as she repeats them. Looks of wonder and confusion cross their faces.

“Where is pretty sounds?” asks the ruler.

She hears a guttural mumble then sounds like he has a mouth full of stones while talking. Looking at their teeth, maybe those are stones and not teeth. She sees no exit and realizes this is going to be a long day.

“I am Glaze. I am from Nibenay. I don’t know you.” She pantomimes while saying.

The armored Hej-kin wobbles past the other and cocks his head to the side. In a hard tone he says “Eyyyye”.

“Yes…I- am Glaze. I- am from Nibenay. I- don’t know you or your other disgusting naked warted buddies.”

“Eyyyye. His eyes blinking rapidly in the bright light. He points at himself and says “I”.

Her shoulders sag in defeat. Not being one to let this stop her she sits down and watches them for a moment. “You know, you guys seem very curious about me. You seem to be expecting something also.” A long pause. “Am I correct?”

“Eyyyye” Says the armored one pulling his armor over his head to block the light. His nakedness exposed within a few feet of her face.

“Ugh. Okay “I” is what I will call you.”

“Eyyyye?!?” he says peeking out from his armor.

Not able to hide it anymore, she begins to laugh long and hard. The sight of this short ugly creature with his clothes bundled up in his arms and face is too much for her. He stops and peers and shrugs. He tries to laugh but finds it hard to do so.

The ruler is now bronzed in the face. This is his pretty thing. Yet she talks to him. “My pretty thing!” the ruler shouts and stands up on his rock. “I” bows down low and shuffles backwards. His long toenails dragging the whole way.

“Jealous?” Suddenly she stops and looks again. 15 ugly and some obviously horny male humanoids and one decent looking female. Now scared herself, she fumbles with her dagger and curls up bringing the bright lights closer to her. They may not last too long.

Nervous, she unknowingly begins to hum the song she is working on about Mania.

It has an immediate effect on them, especially the one in a cloak.

From under the Dark sun
Will come a legend
From under the Dark sun
Will come a hero

“You like that?” She says to the robed one.

He mumbles a reply while rubbing his large tummy with his knuckles.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
This is a shorter post than normal, but it's one I particularly like. This is the first time that the Defenders of Daybreak faced any of the ghoulish army that been rumored to be raiding the surface. It's effectively the beginning of a two year story arc that's just being finished in the story now.

The group gathered around a graveyard in a small town, where the earth has just opened up and begun disgorging intelligent undead. . .

-- o --

The ghouls swarm upwards, probably eighty or a hundred scrabbling into sight. Most seem to have once been dwarves or gnomes; their small hands now sport long claws, and sharpened teeth can be seen through the rat’s nest of sparse dwarven beards. With them come tiny flying balls of fire, swooping and spiraling out of the pit as if alive. Scrying devices? Impossible to say, and the hasted Defenders don’t waste any time trying to find out.

Tao prepares to slow them down by casting plant growth on the short grass of the cemetery, and Raevynn follows up with the exact same thing. Velendo summons a huge fire elemental, which wades into the advancing ghouls and sears them with its fiery arms.

From up on the hill, the group waits until close to a hundred are in sight… then Malachite, levitating slightly, slams his bracers together.

“Lux Smaragdi luceat eis!” Emerald light bursts from his bracers as Malachite becomes the heart of an emerald sun. For just a second, the shadowy battlefield is lit up in a flash. And then, before the light fades, everyone sees the sight of dozens of undead blasted out of existence instantaneously. Flesh flies from rotting faces, bones shatter and disintegrate like ice in hot water, shrieks fill the air as the breath is driven from four-score sets of lungs. The tiny flying balls of fire seem unaffected, but the ghoulish tide is slowed; perhaps eighty or so undead perished instantaneously.

Everyone looks at Malachite with new-found respect. He might, just barely, be smiling.

While TomTom places inertial barriers on people, Nolin flies high above the battlefield, and then swoops down. Hovering above a company of ghouls that survived the blast, he can see down into the pit, and sees more than a hundred more starting to climb out. Nolin casts healing circle, destroying more than ten, and then flies upwards as Agar drops an acid fog neatly over the entrance to the pit. “That’ll hold ‘em,” says Agar with pleasure, and summons his own extended fire elemental to be on the safe side. Velendo, upset that the ghouls might now decide to wait - thus causing all the spells that the Defenders have active to expire - stops grumbling at Agar long enough to notice that the ground is shaking.

“What the…?”

Before he can do anything, the hillside under their feet erupts into a shower of dirt and a rising juggernaut of slimy, rotting gray flesh. At first the group thinks it’s an undead purple worm; as both Tao and Velendo disappear into its huge mouth, that’s certainly their first impressions. But as the creature engulfs them, they realize that they’re wrong. Like grasping cilia, the inside of the worm’s mouth is filled with ghoulish arms, clutching and tearing, and dozens of screaming heads that barely poke their way out of the fleshy wall and tongue.

Someone screams.

To the horror of people watching, the outside skin of the worm pulses grotesquely and then turns… shuffling itself around and revealing that each 5 ft. section of the worm’s body is the torso of a ghoul, somehow flesh-merged together. Now the worm looks more like a humongous centipede, only with ghoulish arms clutching anything nearby, instead of a centipede’s legs. The monster throws its blind snout skywards, and hundreds of half-seen gibbering mouths slobber and drool in hunger.

Inside its gullet, Tao manages to lock one hand around the razor sharp bone-like protrusion of the lip; Velendo, who has never been terribly strong, isn’t as lucky. The raising of the snout breaks his grip, and dozens of clawed arms grab him and force him down the long throat, tearing at his flesh as he goes. He feels negative energy coursing through his body, and his screaming muscles lock in place.

to be continued….

-------------------------------------------------

The Necropede by David Hendee (Littlejohn)

necropede.jpg

Remove ads