[Story Hour Sampler] Post Your Favorite Story Hour Installment

Shemeska

Adventurer
You'll like this. Trust me, I'm a Yugoloth.

This is one of my two favorite entries for my storyhour, Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour. I started writing it on a whim about two years into the campaign, and it's allowed me to flesh out some of the behind the scenes details of the campaign, better understand the PCs and NPCs motivations, etc and its spawned a few side stories as well. Most of the action takes place in Sigil and the lower planes, though this particular update took place in Elysium's 3rd layer of Belarian.

The campaign, and by extension the storyhour, is dark and sometimes skirting the lines of what won't offend anyones' grandmothers. I've seriously enjoyed it though. Building up to this point the PCs had gone to Elysium based on some information found in the posession of several mercanes that led them to believe that something was afoot in the largely sealed planar layer that dealt with fiends and a fallen guardinal and former factor of the transcendent order. During this time the yugoloths have slowly been moving towards all-out civil war as Anthraxus gathers an army to retake his former position as Oinoloth. In the bloodshed to come, some see profit and a way to benefit themselves most deeply.

But, on to the story:
shemmysmile.gif

"One man's death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic." -Josef Stalin responding to Churchill at the Potsdam conference

****​

6 Hours before the slide:

Shylara the Manged looked out across the flooded lowlands of Belarian and then back to the face of the Ebon. “I have come my love, just as you requested. Anthraxus has joined his forces at Center and marches now on Khin-Oin. The two armies will clash in perhaps a few hours from now. Soon the Oinoloth will wonder where you are.”

“No. No he won’t. The fool has more things to worry about, and all of the troops I promised him have been provided, and they will fight loyally to him. For now at least.” The archfiend smiled knowingly at his protégé. “That changes in six hours.”

“Explain my lord, for while I’ve been privy to portions of your plans, you’ve never told me the full scope of it; you’ve reserved that for your two compatriots…”The Manged sneered at the mention of those two and Vorkannis chuckled.

“Jealousy becomes you darling. Trust me and look around you. What do you see?” He said.

She looked out over the landscape and frowned, “Misguided righteousness that begets weakness. That is what I see. A barren land that the guardinals have used as a prison for what they could not kill. After all, what troubles them not and troubles the rest of the planes not is not a trouble at all. They lock their problems away and hope they cease to exist if the multiverse forgets about them. That is what I see.”

“Then we are in agreement. Consider this then: what better place to hide the marshalling site of evil than under the very noses of the purest of the pure. A prison and hiding place of their own making, too easily put to our use, and possession is 9/10 of the law…”

The Ebon smiled down at his apprentice as they both looked out over the plane surrounding them where neither of them should have rightfully stood. Neither should there have been the fortress there that rose above the swamp nearly a quarter of a mile across with spires that rose into the sky almost as far. None of it should have been there, but there it was and the guardinals of Rubicon were blissfully unaware of it all; warded by The Ebon’s spells, the entire citadel was shrouded from sight and the very nature of Belarian itself prevented divinations and the like. Evil sat within Elysium, unknowingly aided by the motives of the pure.

Thirty miles to the east stood the empty remnants of the smaller tower, a decoy that would suffice to convince Rubicon that all was over and quiet. It would convince them that all the blood that had been shed was all that would be. The fallen lupinal, Tarnsilver, who was now dead at the hands of Rubicon’s servitors, had been wholly unaware of the full scope of the fiendish involvement on the layer. He hadn’t known of the portal to Carceri that sat within the central courtyard of the other, much larger fortress to the west, framed by its three massive towers. He hadn’t been aware of that portal, ripped into the fabric of Belarian’s original wardings by the Overlord of Carceri himself, that now stood open and glowing a sickly reddish light up into the sky like a bleeding ulcerated wound. He hadn’t known of the sheer volume of traffic through that portal either, and neither would Rubicon till it was too late.

****​

6 hours later:

They all awoke with a feeling of dread and nervousness, especially Fyrehowl and Tristol. While none of them could pin it down exactly as they rose from bed and wandered out into the hallway, they could sense that something was terribly amiss. All across Elysium it seemed for those minutes that the multiverse itself was holding its breath, but out of fear and dread rather than anticipation.

Nisha yawned as she got up from the floor where she’d been curled up with her bed’s mattress in the hallway. “… what’s everyone doing out here? If I was snoring I’m sorry, and if it’s about the bed, well, I just felt like it on a lark. But I just had the weirdest damn dream…”

Fyrehowl looked at Tristol, then Clueless, and then to the others as well. From a flicker of eye contact she knew the truth of the matter and said as much, “We all did…”

“We’ve seen him before in Garroth’s sensory stones, and heard his voice in the Mercane’s demiplane. He’s had his hand in all of this, but I don’t know what for.” Clueless said warily.

“Who were the two others with him?” Florian asked.

“We’ve seen the one in the red robes before in Garroth’s material too, he was the Keeper of the tower arcane in Gehenna. Pretty much the head of his sub-race of fiends.” Tristol replied.

“Not that he seemed to be calling the shots there…” Fyrehowl said.

“No, he wasn’t. The third one was the bitch back in Sigil who f*cked me over in the first place… you know the name, I won’t repeat it.” Clueless said bitterly.

“So what the hell do you think that meant? It was just to all of us it looks like. If a Yugoloth had sent dreams to anyone else this place would be jumping with every guardinal in sight.” Florian said.

“I don’t know, but it isn’t good. I think we should tell…” Fyrehowl paused as she felt something strange. For a brief moment it seemed as if the Cadence, the heartbeat of the planes themselves, had trembled and skipped a beat. A second later her head swam with nausea and she felt sick like a piece of herself had just been ripped away and violated. Tristol likewise paused and felt ill before Toras helped him regain his balance.

“Are you ok?” Skalliska said up to the lupinal.

“No. No I’m not. Something horrible just happened, or will happen soon. It feels like something’s missing. We have to go back to Rubicon and warn them that something terrible is about to occur.” Fyrehowl said in a panic as she dashed down the hallway and back to the portal linking to Belarian.

They all ran to the portal and arrived a minute later to find the pair of Avorals stationed by the swirling nimbus of light feeling sick themselves for reasons neither of them could explain either. With looks to one another of worry and concern, the group dove through the portal to Rubicon, or rather, what was left in the aftermath.

They arrived on the southern slope of the hill leading up to Rubicon with the air heavily laden with brimstone and a sharp, coppery scent. As the acrid smoke of burnt flesh drifted over them they realized that they were not within the fortress as the portal had originally led but standing below and looking up into a scene wrought in hell. The island was seemingly sliced in two down the center, with half of the fortress simply missing and the rest of it in devastated ruin littered with the corpses of its defenders.

“Oh powers above…” Fyrehowl said with a cracking voice.

Amid the craters and scorch marks of spells that dotted the fortress and its surroundings, the stones of the walls of Rubicon were glowing in the rising light of dawn. Glowing red with the rising sun, the walls were coated and awash in the still sticky blood of tens of thousands of guardinals who hung crippled, dead and dying, crucified upon the battlements of the fortress. Moans of despair, anguish, and immortal agony echoed across the ruins from where the defenders of Elysium had been left to suffer and die, surrounded by the corpses of those they would eventually join in oblivion there, nailed to the walls of Rubicon by the hands of Yugoloths.

Smoldering pits and outlines of bodies dotted the rubble, the bodies of fiends dissolving into nothingness. One of the towers of the cathedral-fortress still stood and crashed into its parapet was a dead slasrath, its manta-shaped body hanging limply over the ramparts to leave no doubt about who was responsible for the slaughter.

“Oh powers above…” Fyrehowl said as she fell to her knees and wept.

“Where’s the rest of the plane?” Tristol said as he too tried to choke back his emotions.

“What do you mea… sh*t… look at the bay, look for the mainland.” Clueless said as he looked past the blood soaked island and out beyond it to the bay where Oceanus ran red with the aftermath of the massacre. The layer of Belarian was gone, vanished, and only a pale grayish mist swirled above the tarnished and bloodied waters of the holy river where Elysium’s third layer had once been.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
megamania said:
Neat P-cat. I like the image also. I've wanted to read your Storyhour but find it overwhelming to even begin.

It's a problem, although a thousand of the posts are probably comments I need to delete. I prefer to think of the length as meaning "Why wait for an update?" :lol:

I'm getting a lot of good stories out of this thread. Thank you for doing this.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Piratecat said:
It's a problem, although a thousand of the posts are probably comments I need to delete. I prefer to think of the length as meaning "Why wait for an update?" :lol:

Why not start to re-post it one session every few days for those who like to be guided along their way through a story hour?

Kinda like I started doing with "Out of the Frying Pan" (which I will be moving on to the next section over at the Rat's Nest really soon)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Berandor said:
nem: Now that my SH has some more installments under its belt, would it be possible if I switched them?

Do you mean switch out what you already posted? Why would you want to do that?

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
Sounds like he has a new favorite from his story hour, and wants to swap in the newer one. Just a guess.

I'm liking the variety here, Several that I follow are noted here and are among my favorites.

GW

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Just a bump for those that might not have seen this. . .

Authors that have already posted but have a new favorite should edit their post to replace the old one. . . . :cool:

Well, thanks for the tip off el-remmen... there need to be more of this kind of thread.

Hello everyone, my story hour is A Chronicle of Ice, Luck and Honour and it's an unashamedly high fantasy Forgotten Realms campaign that lies somewhere between The Princess Bride, George R R Martin and Babylon 5 - but without the spaceships and silly first season graphics (well, at least in my mind... :uhoh: ). Throw in an extra handful of DnD and there you go. I love everything about it. I hope you like reading it.

This chapter is just after our unsure heroes have rather unenthusiastically decided to like each other and travelled to Darmshall (Northern Realms, below the glaciers). A marketplace chase has resulted in a drow-enslaved Minotaur about to rampage through the morning crowd :] .

I chose this chapter because it is full of fighting. I know my audience. Enjoy.

A marketplace brawl and an execution

Thalin drew his crossbow and levelled a bolt at the creature. A group of town guards rushed from the recesses of a foodhall and dropped into a two-tier crossbow formation. The minotaur snorted decisively, then charged into the crowd, horns spread low. An unfortunate woman was dashed aside before she even had time to move.

The beast roared again as the woman was slung into a rations stall. Dry fruit and meats spilled around the ankles of the minotaur.

The crowd exploded into chaos.

A hail of crossbow bolts whistled into the beast from the combined efforts of Thalin, Milo and the town guards. A young elf in blue whirled his hands limply, and a celestial goat blazed into being only yards from the minotaur, it's Sigil-bell ringing meekly beneath its alarmed eyes. Two dwarves trudged into a defensive stance with their halberds, ushering women and children behind them. A javelin hummed through the air from a Gnoll trader, but skittered wide. A heroic Ulutian charged to the attack, but fell to his knees on the slippy fruit. Thalin's nerves jarred as a dark energy washed over the Minotaur, one of it's half-drow captors having aimed a thin bone staff at it. Everyone else ran screaming.

Torious quickly decided to release Mikka in order to defend the townsfolk. With a cheeky “See you later”, Mikka limped quickly down a side alley and disappeared in a rustle of red velvet.

Without further delay, Torious circled to his left as the minotaur landed a hoof through the face-guard of the unfortunate Ulutian. Smelling blood, the minotaur stooped low and violently decapitated the celestial goat with a swipe of its claws. The elf wizard clicked his fingers in frustration, then ran away.

Torious rolled to a stop. With a grim look on his face, Torious sparked a line with Justicar on the paving stones and stared at the hulking minotaur. Dislodging its hoof from the Ulutian, the minotaur paced forwards, then readied to charge the Aasimar.

The crowd scattered in all directions. Another wave of bolts (and a javelin) slammed into the minotaur. Its hulking form sprung into momentum and it lowered its head to skewer Torious on its mighty horns.

The town guards began to retreat in haste.

Thalin punched into the mind of the beast in an attempt to force it to sleep, but the levels of rage and hatred made the mage gag. His spell was useless against such a creature.

Milo finished his prayer to Tymora and loosed a magically-imbued bolt. It flew beautifully and thudded to a halt in the monster's forehead. But it was not enough.

With a deft dodge backwards, Torious evaded the plunging horns and chose his spot, driving Justicar forward. His sword slid into the monster's calf. With a thunderous crash, the minotaur slid to the ground in a plume of dust. Spasming in anger, the minotaur tried to right itself but fell again and again. Another shower of bolts slowed the minotaur's movements. Thick legs limply kicked against the cobbled ground.

Milo went to fire again, but his nerve failed at the helplessness of the creature. Thalin fired twice, his first bolt shattering the base of a horn and the second thudding wetly into its flank. He went to fire again, but stopped.

The man in red armour strode forwards, slinging his crossbow onto the ground as he withdrew a wide, bronze short sword. Milo tried to call 'halt', but the man had already plunged the sword into the base of the minotaur's skull. With a final grunt, it died.

The man grinned in triumph, and pulled his sword free. The man in red was the only one not suprised as the sword wound ignited and the beast's body was consumed in a thick yellow blaze.

The screams of the crowd died down as the guards ran to the casualties and reassured the townspeople that they were safe. Torious picked himself up and looked for the thief, but he was nowhere to be seen. Thalin and Milo dashed over to Torious to make sure he was okay. Not a scratch.

Thalin blinked wearily around as the guards began to question people about the cause of the disturbance. Coughing through the smoke of the burning minotaur, the three companions watched the man in red stride across the square, a handful of townsfolk thanking him for defeating the beast.

“Perhaps we should leave now,” Thalin said, nodding in the direction of the guards.

Last edited:

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Here's a post from Like Father, Like Son: Kid Charlemagne's Story Hour, Pt. III. This is pretty early on in Part III. The PC's are around 9th level here, I believe.

The PC's are Jovah, a cleric of Bes the god of luck, Reana, a female half-elven ranger, Jalea, a very chaotic elven rogue, Sir Brennen, a fighter/Sword of Kelanen (a reigious warrior homebrewed PrC), Gavin, a wise-acre horseman (recently knighted) and Corwin, a human wizard who is a recent addition to the group at this point.

They're investigating Arlen Kentfield, a demon-cultist who has been making things tough in the city of Ulfang...

Cape Varna, Princedom of Krone, June 11th, AE 420

The next day, Corwin attempts to scry on Kentfield, but gets no result. He then spends the rest of the day in the University of Cape Varna’s extensive libraries, courtesy of Tolaro Telegar. The libraries there are among the most expansive in the known world, thanks to the elves’ long-lived nature and love of learning. Corwin is looking for more information on Mordax, and he is joined by Jalea and Brennen. They find it rough going, though, slogging through piles of books. They find little new information, although there are piles more books to look through, and they plan to continue.

In the meantime, though, the party plans to look into the note in Quinn’s robe. They are fully expecting that this could be an ambush. Corwin scrys Kentfield again the next day around sunset, and this time he finds him. He is on board his ship, eating dinner with Quinn and the ship’s officers. Very dull stuff, until just before the spell ends.

“You doing another divination on them in the morning?” Quinn asks.

Arlen Kentfield nods affirmatively.

“Damn,” Jovah says. “They’re doing the same things we’re doing. How are we going to fix that?”

“Well,” Gavin offers, “we could decide on a course of action, and then the next morning randomly change our plans…”

“You mean we let Jalea lead?” Aris quips.

That same evening, they fold to Ulfang again in order to check out the “112 Silversmith Lane” address that they found on a piece of paper in one of Quinn’s old robes.

“So where precisley are we going?” Corwin asks Jovah.

“I’m not sure precise is the right word,” Jovah replies.

They decide to fold to the courtyard of the Gregarious Gargoyle, since Jalea estimates it is about ten blocks from Silversmith Lane. Moments later, they are there, none the worse for wear this time. They notice that the tavern is closed, Orders of the Office of the Constabulary, Ulfang.

As they file out of the courtyard and onto the street, Jalea notices a horse-and-buggy pull out from an alleyway several blocks down. It isn’t so late that they are the only people on the street, but Jalea quickly decides that the buggy is following them. He informs the others, and then slips into the shadows to try and get the drop on the pursuer.

Shortly afterward, the buggy veers off in another direction, no longer following the party. The bulk of the group continues on to 112 Silversmith Lane.

“Check me on this,” Aris says to Reana, “But didn’t we just determine that Jalea shouldn’t be doing exactly this kind of thing?”

“Yup,” Reana replies.

They arrive at the address on the note. This section of Silversmith Lane is inhabited by the apprentices and menial workers of the silversmithing trade, and it is a poor section of town. 112 Silversmith Lane appears to be a rickety wooden tower, three stories tall. It has apparently been subdivided into 112B and 112C, but it would appear that 112 is the top floor. A questionably secure stair winds around the outside of the tower until it comes to an end in front of the door. Jovah casts detect magic to see if he can get a sense of any surprises from outside the building. He can tell that there is something magical inside the apartment, but not its exact location.

Jalea returns unscathed. “That was the constables. They’ll probably be looking for us, but they don’t know where we went.”

Jovah casts fly, and grabs the elven rogue. They fly to the doorway, and Jalea begins chcking for traps and picking the lock. It’s a better lock than he would have expected in this neighborhood. The others clamber up the rickety staircase. Soldago stays downstairs to watch, bow ready.

Jalea gets the door unlocked, and Jovah opens it. As he does so, he finds the source of the magic he saw earlier; a ghostly black panther leaps from the rafters of the tower’s peaked roof onto the gnomish priest!

“Yikes!” Jovah yells. He swings with his heavy mace, and lands a blow – which is lucky, considering the thing’s insubstantial nature.

The others start rushing up the stair at the sound of Jovah’s battle, but are bottle-necked towards the top. Brennen gives in to his desperation, and chops a hole in the rickety wall with his longswords, and crawls into the room. Jovah and Jalea have, however, made short work of the beast, and it’s ghostly form blows away in the wind.

“There’s something under the bed that’s magical, too,” Jovah says.

Jalea searches the room, and finds a battered trunk under the bed, and a pouch hidden under the loose cap to a bed post. They take the items, and fold out, before the constables can arrive.

“Where are we folding to?” Gavin asks.

“I’ll let you know,” Jovah responds.

The Priest of Bes takes them to Tolaro’s house again. They check out the trunk – it’s fire-trapped, of course, and Jalea once agains learns this the hard way. Inside is a red leather bound book with a gold clasp. It proves to be a spellbook (although it radiates magic itself, as well). Several loose sheets of paper are stuck in the book as well.
  • Victoria VanDeVeer – possible contact with Graz’zt?
  • No one in area has suitable diamonds, Falco will have to find them elsewhere
  • Quinn and I are of one mind, re-empowering Mordax is the first step. Quinn has a plan on how to do it, we just have to wait for the right moment to act.
  • Dahloss, 42 Shaded Lane, Tor
They also score 300 platinum pieces, and a few gems, most notably a 1,000 gp black opal. Corwin does some alchemical testing on the potion bottles found in Kentfield’s safe. They prove to be a potion of clairaudience/clairvoyance and a potion of fiery breath.

“I’ll take the fiery breath one,” Jalea suggests.

“I think that falls under the category of, ‘If you want it, you don’t get it’,” Brennen replies.

Remove ads