• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E STR 'to-hit' bonus departing in 4e?

Morland

First Post
epochrpg said:
How does a strong person hit an unarmored monk more often?

More muscle allows one to accelerate a weapon in a shorter distance. It is a pretty simple matter of physics, really, though perhaps a non-intuitive one.

I hope they leave this one alone.

pawsplay

Hero
GreatLemur said:
Really, the idea of raw strength being more important in armed melee combat than speed or precision seems more like a D&Dism to me than any kind of fiction emulation....
Also, it doesn't make sense for their raw physical strength to ever influence melee combat accuracy with light or natural weapons.

There is no "raw physical strength" score, there is just Strength. As I have already observed, a lot of what you would call agility is subsumed under Str.

pawsplay

Hero
Plane Sailing said:
It also makes sense for a touch attack to deliver a spell - a situation where I can't really see what relevance Str might have at all.

Except that strength also means, essentially, speed. Every ability in D&D I can think of that involves bursts of speed (attacking in melee, climbing, jumping, swimming) is based on Str. I can see Dex also being relevant (being able to reach in there without harm), but Str is just as logical. And there are other ways Strength matters... pushing past on opponent's defenses, not being battered down, trying not to be bowled over, etc.

pawsplay

Hero
epochrpg said:
How does a strong person hit an unarmored monk more often?

By being faster, stronger, more athletic, better able to break bones, and probably more accurate, all things covered under the Str score.

Valiantheart

First Post
Why do these threads come up over and over and over again. There have been countless guys who do archaic weapon recreations who have said time and time again strength is more useful to hit than agility. Stronger man equals faster and more abundant weapon swings equals greater accuracy.

I don't buy the argument that Dex should replace Str for melee attack rolls. There may be cases where that's true (e.g., with light weapons), but there are cases where having sheer strength enables you to score a hit when you might not otherwise.

But I agree wholeheartedly that realism should only be taken so far when it comes to D&D mechanics. Dex to avoid, Str to hit. Simple and clean.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Someone said that 'enabler' feats like Weapon Finnese and the like would be auto-given to classes who would use them (like the rogue.)

But honestly, I see no reason why STR would be the only ability to add to your meele attack bonus. Some people say that it helps you "pass through armor," but surely that is not the only way to help you hit more often. I for one prefer gamism to simulation, within reason, and as such, I am more open to new mechanical options.

An ability score strongly tied to any class makes sense to me to add to hit: STR- as mentioned before, DEX- quickness and mobility allow you to strike accurately, CON- uhhh... ok that dosn't make sense, INT- detect and aim for weak part of enemy defenses, WIS- intuition and body language guide your attacks, CHA- dosn't really make sense, but I could see it working for a Paladin.

This of course would only be the case with weapons the character is proficient with. If the ballet dancer is not proficient with the axe, then he wouldn't be able to use his Dex mod with it. However, a balled dancer proficient with axes could be a deadly enemy.

Last edited:

Remove ads