Streaming Services: Power Rankings Summer 2023, and What's Up With Paramount+

Zardnaar

Legend
No, it was at the OPs list. Despite my love for the OPs postings, this one rankled.

Ah Amazon's not very good with their original shows.

It's very cheap though decent for movies and justifies its existence.

At Disney/Netflix prices its a no. Rings of Power and Wheel of Time were not good.

Last edited:

Ah Amazon's not very good with their original shows.
Not a fan of Jack Ryan?

Prime over Max? This is instant fail.

Prime was low on my list and its about to bottom out with its last best show ending as we speak.
yeah, Jack Ryan being gone means I have nothing to watch on Prime, but for me due to my health issues, it's cheaper than the other services.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

I meant more the description within Prime as to why they are ranked there.

To put it bluntly, Prime has the second-most subscribers worldwide (behind Netflix). More importantly, when I say they are number two, I mean that they are the only other service over 200 million. No other service other than Disney is over 100 million subscribers. When you combine that with the fact that Bezos is apparently willing to continue lighting Amazon's money on fire to subsidize the Prime, it's hard to see how it can be ranked below #4 despite the issues.

Max has amazing content which is why it is ranked #5. But it also has a massive debt burden and no giant tech company subsidizing it as Hollywood is going into an incredibly challenging time.

This isn't a list of the content; this is a power ranking of the streaming services as businesses.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
This isn't a list of the content; this is a power ranking of the streaming services as businesses.
Is it though? I mean, if its about a secured future than Prime should easily be #1. It's not though, its some weird conglomeration of business position mixed with content and future initiatives called by armchair quarterbacks. There is a thread going right now about how Paramount is the biggest bet in town and is going to absolutely kill it. I don't know how these folks come to that assessment, but they do. Same deal, a mix of actual business state, mixed with future initiatives, with a final dollop of subjective content preference. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads