• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strength of 0 and flying

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Slaved said:
The hands are not free to Climb. There is a rather large difference there along with the Climb Skill itself which needs to be referenced here.

The Climb skill says the same thing - your hands must be free. And they are. They can't move, but they're free.

But if the free hands thing bothers you, then consider the Amorphous Form spell from spell Compendium - "the subject gains a swim speed equal to its land speed". Can the subject swim while paralyzed? The spell doesn't specify that you must be able to move in order to swin, and the text for Movement Modes: Swim in the Monster Manual sys that if you have a swim speed, you don't need to make Swim checks to move through water, so the Swim skill is irrelevant.

Or the Burrow spell, granting a Burrow speed?

How about the Cloudwalkers spell? Can the subjects use their Fly speed to move while paralyzed?

If the Fly Spell gave the Character Wings which were used to fly you might be able to draw a comparison here but as it is you are simply ignoring Rules Text to no end.

So is that the determining factor - anything which flies but doesn't have wings can move around just fine while paralyzed?

-Hyp.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Hypersmurf said:
The Climb skill says the same thing - your hands must be free. And they are. They can't move, but they're free.

But if the free hands thing bothers you, then consider the Amorphous Form spell from spell Compendium - "the subject gains a swim speed equal to its land speed".
What is your land speed whilst paralysed?

Blackberry

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
30 (for a human). Paralysis doesn't change your speed, it just prevents you from moving.

If it prevents you from moving, how can you climb or swim? Those are both forms of movement. As is flying.

Sparafucile

First Post
Slaved said:
Other than I would say a Character could Mentally turn themselves around with the Fly Spell active it looks like you basically agree with what I have said.

No . . . I said that they can mentally keep the spell active and remain floating. . . stationary. Or they can mentally end the spell. They cannot, IMO, mentally move.

Mental, eh?

Anyway, my focus is the continuance of the spell, not the character's ability to utilize it for actual movement or facing. Of course, if you want to flavorfully describe the character as spinning in a circle trying to get his bearings but unable to do so, you can . . . as long as it has no appreaciable game effect.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Last edited:

Slaved

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

The Characters hands must be free to Climb. If the Characters hands are Paralyzed then they are not free to do any Climbing.

Ignoring what is said in the Rules is not making your case any stronger.

Slaved

First Post
Sparafucile said:
No . . . I said that they can mentally keep the spell active and remain floating. . . stationary. Or they can mentally end the spell. They cannot, IMO, mentally move.

Mental, eh?

Anyway, my focus is the continuance of the spell, not the character's ability to utilize it for actual movement or facing. Of course, if you want to flavorfully describe the character as spinning in a circle trying to get his bearings but unable to do so, you can . . . as long as it has no appreaciable game effect.

Why is the Character unable to Move? It takes as much Concentration as Walking and the Character is free to do that and it does not require any body part to move so that is not an issue.

irdeggman

First Post
Sparafucile said:

Mental, eh?

Except for the maximum capacity (or load issue).

"The subject of a fly spell can charge but not run, and it cannot carry aloft more weight than its maximum load, plus any armor it wears."

Key words "Cannot carry aloft" it has nothing to do with movement. If the character exceeds its maximum load it cannot remain aloft - period. How fast it "falls" is a matter of interpretation (and DM judgment) but the character cannot remain aloft.

What is the maximum load of a character with a Strength score of 0?

A strength score of 1 has a maximum load of 10 lbs. There is no entry for 0. But since the pattern at the low end of strength scores is maximum load equal to 10 x your ability score - 10 x 0 = 0. Thus a single gp would put you over.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Slaved said:
Why is the Character unable to Move?

THe paralyzed condition says so. Frozen in place. Unable to move.

It takes as much Concentration as Walking...

So does walking. And he can't do that.

... and it does not require any body part to move so that is not an issue.

This is the assertion I have trouble with. What are you basing it on?

The Characters hands must be free to Climb. If the Characters hands are Paralyzed then they are not free to do any Climbing.

Where does it say that any body part is required to move in order to climb? My hands are free, and the Climb skill doesn't say I need to do anything with them.

Blackberry said:
If it prevents you from moving, how can you climb or swim? Those are both forms of movement. As is flying.

That's my point exactly. But Slaved feels that flying can be movement without requiring you to move, so I'm asking him if the same applies to a Burrow speed. (I note that paralysis directly addresses Swim, so I withdraw that part of the question.)

Sparafucile said:

Right. A flying creature that relies on wings falls, per the Paralyzed condition. A flying creature that doesn't rely on wings doesn't fall. But both types are affected by the other clauses of paralysis - "rooted to the spot", "frozen in place", "unable to move".

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads