• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strong Guy inspired character?

Strong Guy is a character I have a lot of affection for, and I was knocking around in my head the idea of making a D&D character modeled after him. For those of you not familiar with semi-obscure X-Factor characters from the 90's, here's a snippet from the Marvel wiki:

"Strong Guy has the ability to absorb kinetic energy and use it to enhance his physical strength to above normal limits. However, he cannot store the energy he absorbs for very long; as a rule he must expend it within 90 seconds to prevent the enormous amounts of energy from permanently distorting his body. He is in constant pain from the existing distortion, although he hides it well, traditionally playing the role of team comedian to distract himself. An unusual percentage of his body mass is stored in the upper half of his body, causing him to appear top-heavy, imposing, and somewhat comical"

"Weapons? With arms like these, my fists are the weapons"
I guess I should point out I'm not trying to recreate the character 1:1. Rather, I'm trying to create a guy who captures the spirit of the source character. Obviously a PC that can lift 50 tons would be a smidge overpowered in a campaign, so that's out. The challenge now becomes finding a way to express his enhanced strength, preferably through punchies, without being overpowered. My plan is to build him as a tanky human using his fists to pummel enemies. I would make the conceit that he just doesn't use traditional melee weapons. I keep coming back to two ideas:

• Treating his fists as weapons (or even heavy weapons. He's a big fella, after all) for feats and the like.
  • Giving him hit dice for his unarmed attacks, similar to a Monk.

I don't know if one or both or neither of these ideas hold any water, but they're what I've thought up for now. I like the idea of treating his fists as weapons, and using feats like Charger or Great Weapon Fighting.

Is there a good way to approximate his ability to absorb kinetic energy and turn it into strength? Something like "when you take X damage from a single non-magic source (X being a considerable amount. Maybe 50% of Max HP or something?) you can make [some kind of roll]. If successful, add [some amount of damage] to your next melee attack. If failed [some kind of penalty]." I like the idea of there being a risk/reward aspect. It kind of meshes with the way Strong Guy can't store energy for very long without it posing serious health risks. Whatever the case I'm into the idea of his strength being a gift/curse situation.

I am totally into the idea of his condition being the result of a curse or a spell gone wrong or something like that, with whatever weakness or downsides that involves. My goal is to come up with a character with an interesting dynamic as opposed to a super powered crushing machine, so I definitely looking for ways to keep him honest.

I realize it's a tall order asking for help adapting a character most folks probably haven't heard of, even more so when he doesn't exactly gel with the setting. Maybe it'll at least be a fun thought experiment if nothing else. Either way thanks for any advice or ideas!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I know the character.

For D&D? Modeling him will be a tall order in most editions of the game. Which are you using?

Oops, forgot to put the little label thing on the post...
We're playing 5th edition. For what it's worth, I'm not trying to shoehorn a guy who could punch you into low orbit into our game. I'm more interested in coming up with some custom rules/abilities that reflect the "flavor" or the character.

Also I'm pleased as Punch that you know who I'm talking about. There's just something about the (strong) guy that I really like. I'm actually working on a custom figure of him right now, but that's another story for another forum...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Honestly, I don't know 5th, but even in the editions I know well, there aren't that many abilities that really resemble the conditional and reactionary aspect of his nature. It's just not a big part of fantasy/mythology in general or D&D in particular. I remember a few feats & prestige classes in 3rd & 3.5Ed that depended on the PC getting hit first, and a couple of things in 4th that triggered when "bloodied", but that's about it.

For this build, I might talk to the DM about a barbarian build with some boost to his Rage that can only trigger under certain circumstances.

Last edited:

Jediking

Explorer
Maybe make it into a subclass for the Barbarian? They have the highest hit die, favour high Strength and Con, and get 'enhanced Str' (well, adv. on checks) while Raging. Having his fists count as non-finesse weapons for him (or whatever works post-errata) and scale up shouldn't be a big balance issue and be a decent 3rd level Path feature.

Look at the Absorb Elements spell and maybe give that as a higher feature. Possibly only able to use while Raging? This allows it to scale up as you get more Rages, and flavour-wise helps show that it is a strain on the character and can't be used willy-nilly.

As Barbarians are already high-offense and meant to take a beating, and Reckless Attack is a big risk-reward play (especially the Berserker's Frenzy), the chassis is there to build on.

Big X-Men fan, maybe check out the mutant Gentle to see another 'strong with drawback'.

Barbarian with no actual "rages per day" but who gets the rage bonuses if he has taken physical damage in the previous round? He has continuous resistance to Bludgeoning damage rather than rage-based Resistance to more types.

Celebrim

Legend
The hardest part about super heroes in D&D is always that the archetypal example is often a very high level character. Players wanting to capture the zeitgeist of the super hero are often disappointed that much of why the like the character can't be made available until 9th or 17th level (or whatever), if they are to be balanced with other existing archetypes. And obviously, often even then, the character that inspired the concept is out of scale with the challenges characters are expected to face in D&D.

To me, it feels like you could do 'Strong Guy' in 5e with just some minor tweaks to a Barbarian subclass and perhaps a custom Feat or two. However, since I don't know 5e very well, I won't attempt to smith out something.

For the majority of his career the "Strong Guy" inspired character would probably just be a barbarian, only really feeling like the character at some high level when super-heroic powers could be considered balanced with the other choices he could have taken.

Maybe make it into a subclass for the Barbarian? They have the highest hit die, favour high Strength and Con, and get 'enhanced Str' (well, adv. on checks) while Raging. Having his fists count as non-finesse weapons for him (or whatever works post-errata) and scale up shouldn't be a big balance issue and be a decent 3rd level Path feature.

Look at the Absorb Elements spell and maybe give that as a higher feature. Possibly only able to use while Raging? This allows it to scale up as you get more Rages, and flavour-wise helps show that it is a strain on the character and can't be used willy-nilly.

As Barbarians are already high-offense and meant to take a beating, and Reckless Attack is a big risk-reward play (especially the Berserker's Frenzy), the chassis is there to build on.

Big X-Men fan, maybe check out the mutant Gentle to see another 'strong with drawback'.

Oh man Absorb Elements is almost exactly what I was going for. I guess the trick is tweaking it to work as a class feature
Incidentally, be careful looking up obscure mutants in the marvel database. It's a real good way to lose track of your day.

Barbarian with no actual "rages per day" but who gets the rage bonuses if he has taken physical damage in the previous round? He has continuous resistance to Bludgeoning damage rather than rage-based Resistance to more types.

I really like this idea, too. I feel like there should be a minimum damage threshold in order to keep him honest. Or maybe I'm overthinking things?

Thanks for the replies, everyone. There are some really cool ideas here.

Is there anything to the idea of granting the effects of Absorb Elements as a feature for a custom sub-class? And if so what level would it kick in? And, depending on the level, would there be a way to scale up the damage as you gain class levels? I feel like this is the lynch-pin to creating the type of character I'm thinking of.

Jediking

Explorer
So I think Barbarian suits your purposes for the big things you are looking for, and working with a subclass is a lot simpler than building a new one. I think Raging (with the standard resistances) give enough to Strength checks and standard resistances to cover the STRONGer than usual character, so Barb it is.

The other Barbarian subclasses get a combat feature at 3rd, exploration at 6th, and interaction at 10th. (look at WotC's Modifying Classes article). I'm making a few assumptions below, correct me if I am mistaken.

At 3rd level (or even 1st if you really want), give Marital Arts/Tavern Brawler (copy from Monk, just make sure fists are not better than martial weapons until higher levels, if ever). Get rid of Finesse and make them d6. Keep it in line with weapons and you're good.
At 3rd, give Absorb Elements. Honestly, looking at it I think just having it as-is while the Barb is raging is good enough. It's using your reaction and adding one resistance and a d6 damage for one turn on one attack. Compare it to the Bear totem's resistance, which is more defensive but always on while raging. This also stacks well with the Reckless Attack feature.

One thing you might want to do is scale it the same as your Martial Arts. If Martial Arts start at a d6, so does Absorb Elements. Then at level 5 they both go to d8, then at level 11 they are a d10, level 17 is d12.
If the damage seems too low, then change it to 1d6 at 3rd, 2d6 at 5th, 3d6 at 11th, and 4d6 at 12th (same progression as casting at a higher spell slot).

The Bear totem and Goliath racial trait also have higher drag/push/pull for utility at 6th that might fit your vision that you can copy.

Remove ads