• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stuff with which to attack a flying ship

Alaska Roberts

First Post
Yes yes I know. Dragons. But since out of good concious, I cannot run a dragon at this time (Read B.A.D.D.), because I will dispose of him.

So I am looking for other creatures to use against my groups magical flying ship. I will consider aquatic creatures as well, for I plan to adapt the area.

Also if anyone knows of of new and different creatures out there on the net, I would love to be able to use something original.

Thanks in advance

Alaska

P.S. I posted a thread on the system page about Cowboy Bebop D20, but to no avail. Is there an Anime d20 system? Does anyone have a plan for a d20 version? thanks. Thought I would just remention it here.

wolff96

First Post
The first thing that comes to my mind is Air Elementals or those bizarre four-winged birds (Arrowhawks, I think).

Both are outsiders, so they could be sent by an enemy.

Both are creatures of the air with pretty good flying speeds, and as elemental "Air" creatures, they could be offended by the flying ship.

Or -- if the party didn't make the airship -- have it's means of suspension and movement powered by captured/enslaved elementals. That would give a good solid reason for the attack...

Victim

First Post
Air Elementals and Arrowhawks are a good idea, as wulf## pointed out. Ythraks (whatever the blind sonic using flyers are called) could also work, and could damage the ship.

There's the obvious mirror choice - attack them with another flying ship. Arr! We be flying pirates!

Adapting sea creatures could work. I've always thought some kind of flying jellyfish creature could be cool.

Last edited:

Lord Ben

First Post
Half-Fiend Goblins with Wings? Flying monkeys!! :) If it's in a world with lots of flying cities, etc just add wings to something...

Ogre Mages have a fly speed, that would work.

Carnifex

First Post
If you have the Manual of the Planes, slap the Air Element template on some creatures, since it gives them a fly speed. The example in the book is an Air Element squid, which I think is pretty nifty :)

Alaska Roberts

First Post
So far so good, keep them coming, as a matter of fact, you are also helping me come up with my new campaign world. I love the idea of flying cities.

1. It takes their very powerful flying ship now and makes a common item.

2. Flying anything sounds like fun.

3. Flying cities are always cool.

Also can someone direct to the proper way (ie with all the B.a.d.d. info) on how to use a dragon in a fight.

Thanks again
Alaska

alsih2o

First Post
for more of a problem solving slant, try using the aerial versions of barnacles, something from the altitudes that latches on to the hull and rots it away, slowly..

termites, rat infestations...

cloud giants....

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Griffons (riders)
Beholder
Any of the giant birds (riders)
Possible constructions
Manticore
Stirges

And a lot of other things. You could even change a monster or two and give them flight, like the ant-men, making the wasp-men.

Moe Ronalds

First Post
Ignore terrain, there can always be special groups of something that roam the skies. swarms of flying beholders for example could disintergrate the ship.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Oh, here is a thought. Reverse gav fields, place rocks on them and the shoot up, holing the ship. This could also be done with boarders. But then a gnome air-bag could do the same.

Last edited:

Remove ads