Subscription Thread

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I just got a notification for a "New Subscription Thread" or something like that (a notification of when someone posts to a thread I'm subscribed to, I think). Two things. One, I've never had this notification before (and would rather avoid it, if possible). Two: the thread hasn't been posted in since, I think, 2011 (here is where it took me).

Anything like this happen for anyone else?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Probably just a function of the server working properly for the first time in ages and actually sending out the notifications it's supposed to. That's default out-of-the-box vBulletin behaviour.

You control your thread subscriptions/notifications in your settings.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Probably just a function of the server working properly for the first time in ages and actually sending out the notifications it's supposed to. That's default out-of-the-box vBulletin behaviour.

You control your thread subscriptions/notifications in your settings.
Thanks, I will make sure to go disable it. Thanks for the quick reply, and the option to avoid the notifications :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm getting a lot of people asking me this, so if you see anyone asking, please point them to this thread:

You can turn it off in your settings. It's just basic out-of-the box vBulletin behaviour.

That means you had it turned on all this time, but until we got our new server mail wasn't going out correctly and maybe didn't realize it. All you need to do is turn it off.

The setting you're looking for is Default Thread Subscription Mode under General Settings.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I had it turned off on the old server, but then it was on again when the new server went live. I have it turned off again, but the new server definitely did turn subscriptions back on for me.

Storminator

First Post
How do I unsubscribe from a thread? I can't seem to find that option under settings nor in the individual threads.

Thanks for the info on how to change the default tho.

PS

Dice4Hire

First Post
In the smaller menu bar at the top of this page go to

Forum Actions --> General Settings --> Default Thread Subscription Mode to turn them off generally.

As for ongoing subscriptions, go to Quick Links and then Subscribed Threads.

That should do it.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Has the new server changed the settings somehow? I definitely had my thread subscriptions turned off and two days ago started receiving subscription notices again. I've turned those off. After that, yesterday my number of posts per page decreased quite a bit, and I noticed that the setting went back to "forum default." I previously had it at 40, but now the largest option is 20. It's not a big deal, but I'm curious if the changes are a feature or a bug?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Same problem. Also, notifications (I mean that little thing that says you have a subscription on each page you view, on the top) aren't clearing when I click through.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That means you had it turned on all this time...[/I]

Where, "all this time," is probably, "since our recovery from the hack". There have been a few settings (like reply notifications) which did reset to default at the recovery, at least for me. Such is to be expected, and easy to fix with a couple of clicks.

Remove ads