• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Suggestions for fun 2-level dip after 10 levels of Battlemaster Fighter?

A friend of mine is planning to run a plot-lite, very episodic 5e campaign starting in January, and he complained that we keep ending campaigns around level 10, so he's going to start his at level 12.

I have an interest in playing a battlemaster fighter, but I really don't want to get a 3rd attack, so I want to stop at level 10 and then multiclass. In your opinion, what would be some interesting 2-level dips to tack on to this character? Is there a cool cleric domain that gets fun powers at 2nd level? Should I do rogue for cunning action? Is there an obscure Unearthed Arcana option that would give me neat tricks so I have more options than just putting pointy bits in critters?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
A friend of mine is planning to run a plot-lite, very episodic 5e campaign starting in January, and he complained that we keep ending campaigns around level 10, so he's going to start his at level 12.

I have an interest in playing a battlemaster fighter, but I really don't want to get a 3rd attack, so I want to stop at level 10 and then multiclass. In your opinion, what would be some interesting 2-level dips to tack on to this character? Is there a cool cleric domain that gets fun powers at 2nd level? Should I do rogue for cunning action? Is there an obscure Unearthed Arcana option that would give me neat tricks so I have more options than just putting pointy bits in critters?

Why not Barbarian?

Nice and simple.
Immediate benefit with rage and reckless attack (thanks to two levels). Plus if your CON is good, who needs armor!

Andras

Explorer
Dragonborn Battlemaster 10, Tempest Cleric 2
Take Bronze or Blue (PHB) or Sapphire (Fizban) for Lightning or Thunder Breath.
Tempest Cleric can maximize Lightning or Thunder damage (4d6 PHB, 3d10 Fizban) by using Channel Divinity.

You can replace one attack with a BW use with Fizban's revision.

Between the Riposte maneuver and the Tempest's Wrath of the Storm, anyone that attacks you will take an attack or damage back. If you are missed by a melee attack you can use Riposte, and if they hit you you can use Wrath of the Storm to deal lightning damage.

Last edited:

Moon Druid - Commander's Strike, Evasive Footwork, Feinting Attack, Parry, and Rally all could (I believe) work out of the box while you are in Wild Shape (and maybe your DM would be lenient with a few others - Pushing, Sweeping, and Tripping Attack all stand out as reasonable). Plus, be the rare fighter that can heal others, fights with a Shillelagh'ed staff, uses ice knife as their ranged attack, and has some decent utility spells for exploration.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'd go for a well rounded Warrior Monk

Use the Unarmed FS + Grappling maneuver + Unarmored Defense.
So you have 2 attacks + 1 bonus attack at 1d8, all using Dex.

2 Ki point per short rest to complement your sup. dice, spending them on flurry of blow or more defensive features. Quickened Healing to go with Second Wind, Distant Eye if you need to use ranged attacks.

+10 speed if unarmored.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
What are the stats (or stat generation)? Some combinations may be off limits due to insufficient ones (unless that's waived by the DM).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You don't want that third attack?!? Ooooof.

Ok then. You could make some kind of swashbuckler. Dex based melee focused fighter. You could then take something to enhance your mobility - like monk (eventually Kensei?) or rogue (eventually swashbuckler)

The hexblade cross that @MatthewJHanson mentioned also interesting - a few low level slots can boost a fighter, and probably more flexible than an EK in magic choices. In general, hexblade and fighter can pair well, I've done it and I've seen one of my players do it too.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Go warlock, pact of the blade.
Game reason: more interesting weapon combos
Roleplay reason: you sold your soul to learn new, infernal weapon tactics

Remove ads