• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Suggestions for new class

Playing 5e tomb of annihilation at the minute and I suspect my old character is about to be fertilizer (terrible situation, alone, being attacked by something far tougher).

I'm rolling up a backup character for the inevitable 'I die' moment today. The rest of the party is horribly melee-ish. A barbarian, a conquest paladin, a cavalier warrior, a shadow monk, a scout rogue and a lore bard.

Any suggestions for what would fit best into that? (previously I was trying to cover all magic basis with a divine soul sorcerer).

Play what you want. Looks like you've got a good set of front-line fighters, scouts, and only one true caster. I'd consider a wizard or another cleric depending on what you want to do. Now that you've played the mod a bit, what kind of character do you want to bring into it?

I'm honestly not sure ;) I had a fantastic concept for a barbarian but we suddenly got one this morning as a new player joined. I was going to be a very short northern tabaxi based on the adorable but angry 'Pallas Cat' https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/pallas-cat-manul-20__880.jpg and speak like a 3rd person conan. Sadly that slot is filled... ;)

I'm scratching my head a bit as I REALLY liked that idea but don't think I can turn it into a cleric or wizard type. The joy was a small very fluffy kitty being all 'X thinks you can kiss his axe' and chittering when he saw enemies ^^

mellored

Legend
You have a lot in melee, so i wouldn't reccomend another one. And no big reason to go cleric, with a lore bard and a paladin, who can both heal.
So that leaves ranged damage and utility spells.

How about a a tabaxi ranger? Same character, still mostly dealing damage, plus a little side magic. Just change "axe" to "bolt".

Or maybe warlock.

Phion

Explorer
Go another melee class. Barbarian wolf totem to give all your melee friends advantage. Be a man. Do the right thing.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Go another melee class. Barbarian wolf totem to give all your melee friends advantage. Be a man. Do the right thing.

Go melee. You don't want to be the guy left out when the enemy casts fireball.

Phion

Explorer
Go melee. You don't want to be the guy left out when the enemy casts fireball.

Exactly. And if you are surrounded by enemies when the magic user casts fireball he will be hitting all of his allies as well (roundabout dps) / if you are up close he will hit himself. Meanwhile you will live because you are a man with lots of life. Be a man. Do the right thing.

^^ Well - I was right. Hit by a kind of one shot mechanic that did over double my health in 2 strikes before i could react.

So yes... time to reroll. I'll have a look a melee based casters so I can stand in the thick of it, but also wonder what caster build has the most... survivability. Tomb of annihilation seems to have a lot of 'random roll dice - your characters encounter d3 t-rexs who eat you in one hit'

Mort

Legend
Supporter
^^ Well - I was right. Hit by a kind of one shot mechanic that did over double my health in 2 strikes before i could react.

So yes... time to reroll. I'll have a look a melee based casters so I can stand in the thick of it, but also wonder what caster build has the most... survivability. Tomb of annihilation seems to have a lot of 'random roll dice - your characters encounter d3 t-rexs who eat you in one hit'

Maybe consider a diviner wizard? Not exactly melee survivability but the abilities are nice.

A bladesinger is also a viable choice for the melee heavy party. No one in my group wanted one and I'm very curious to see if they're anywhere near as good in practice as many claim they are in theory.

A light or a life cleric could augment this party quite well too. Anytime you have a meat grinder campaign, the more healing the better, and clerics comport themselves just fine in melee in 5e.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

Remove ads