Suggestions for Speeding Up Combat

The Levitator

First Post
Use DM Genie. :)

This has been the single greatest improvement to speeding up combat in both my tabletop and online groups. DM Genie has a bit of a learning curve, but when you see just how much of the game it can handle for you, few people who learn to use it ever go back. I love it for the fact that it handles all of the mechanics for me and automatically calculates modifiers, handles initiative, tracks conditions, etc., which allows me to focus on vivid descriptions and more advanced plotlines. I see a lot of people on forums complaining that D&D isn't designed for deep-immersion roleplaying and I wholeheartedly disagree. Any system can be used for deep-immersion roleplaying. I believe that the key though is that the system not intrude on the storyline or the roleplaying. We try to minimize "gamespeak" as much as possible, and let DM Genie handle the crunchy bits of the game.

I do agree that it would be much harder to play D&D as a deep-immersion style game without DM Genie. Any time you have to inject gamespeak and talk of mechanics into the game, it tends to break the moment, at least for me. Using a program like DM Genie helps me minimize those aspects and focus on keeping the story and description elements in focus.

Delta

First Post
Cobblestone said:
As far as item one goes, I currently have everyone roll, write their names down on the dry-erase board in initiative order, and cycle through the list each turn. I'm considering switching to one-side goes, and then the other, and simply going around the table. However, I don't want to penalize the high-dex characters too greatly.

That's exactly what I do now. First actual game with it was this past weekend, and it went great. It (a) sped everything up, (b) got rid of the whole init marker/ index card/ whiteboard requirement, and (c) allowed everyone to see their turn coming around.

Yes, the mechanic changes the use of init scores somewhat. I just let the person with high Initiative roll for the whole party. I also had a question, "Can we delay or go out of turn?" I said, "Absolutely, but you have to switch seats." Which got a nice round of appreciative laughter. My players were very understanding.

I'm completely sold on this now. I wish it had been brought to my attention years ago.

buzz

Adventurer
Delta said:
Yes, the mechanic changes the use of init scores somewhat.
Seems like this would make things kind of wacky for classes with abilities that take advantage of flat-footed opponents.

I dunno. As far as complexity goes, I think Initiative is one of the least guilty culprits. Have everyone roll and write down their score in front of them on the battlemat, Then, the DM just counts down: "25? 24?" Players raise their hands when their score comes up.

Hussar

Legend
Something that does help with initiative, if you don't have the space to make it visible to everyone, is to call out whoever is "on deck" whenever you also call out someone's turn. "Bob's up, Susan, you're on deck. Susan's up, John's on deck." Hearing your name tends to draw your attention back.

Nareau

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
I have a couple of suggestions.
I heartily agree with all of Olaf's suggestions. We recently finished up a 6-year campaign that saw the characters rise from 1st to 20th level, and there's no way we could have done it without every one of those tips.

One thing I'd add: Talk to your players about the issue outside of the game. If they're having fun with it, don't change a thing. But they probably have some good ideas of their own. At the very least, you can work with them to figure out how to better design games for their playstyle/knowledge of the rules/etc.

Nareau

kenobi65

First Post
Hussar said:
Something that does help with initiative, if you don't have the space to make it visible to everyone, is to call out whoever is "on deck" whenever you also call out someone's turn. "Bob's up, Susan, you're on deck. Susan's up, John's on deck." Hearing your name tends to draw your attention back.

I do this, particularly in the online games I run. I agree, it helps draw attention back, and it gives the "on deck" player time to get ready. Seems to help quite a bit.

Remove ads