• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SunRods

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
I always envisioned them small metal rods about a foot long with some alchemical substance at the end. When struck they burts into light at the end.

A freind once used one as improvised weapon. He smacked a drow across the face (1d4 Dmg) and lit the sunrod that way. We all laughed at it.

werk

First Post
Kazinsky said:
I see them, and play them as the equivalent of glowsticks. Strike them to activate them and you can't turn them off till they use up their alchemical juices. They create burst lighting, akin to a lantern, not a flashlight.

Glowsticks baby!

sony_ericsson_tsixten_glowstick-thumb.jpg

Alchemical tube that glows brightly when struck.

Last edited:

kenobi65

First Post
Mithran said:
I always figured they glowed just at the tip.

As did I.

SRD said:
Sunrod: This 1-foot-long, gold-tipped, iron rod glows brightly when struck. It clearly illuminates a 30-foot radius and provides shadowy illumination in a 60-foot radius. It glows for 6 hours, after which the gold tip is burned out and worthless.

This always has led me to believe that it's the gold tip which provides the illumination (since that's what burns out), though I admit it's not entirely clear.

Remove ads