Superhero RPG Suggestions

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I'm thinking about a game to run at conventions based on either Saturday morning cartoons or somewhat obscure comics featuring 'toon superheroes where the team of PCs band together to fight the most obnoxious super villain of all: SCRAPPY DOO.

With the help of some folks over at RPGNet, I settled on the core of my superhero group:
Underdog
Fantomcat
Yankee Poodle
Blue Falcon
Jabber Jaw
Captain Caveman

Fantomcat is from a UK comic. He has prodigious fencing skills and can turn invisible, but is baffled by modern technology. That would probably play well.

I also found Yankee Poodle. She has a fairly unique set of powers that allows her to shoot semi-solidified electromagnetic blue-colored "stars" with her right hand to repel objects, and generate red-and-white "stripes" with her left hand in order to attract objects. By using both hands at once, Yankee Poodle could generate highly destructive "magno-blasts." She could also use her powers to travel, by forming a ramp of stripes while propelling herself along it by shooting stars behind her. Art I've found of her indicates she also possesses the Most Common Superpower and a hideous poodle-fro and gawd-awful patriotic costume. She's from the DC universe. The amount of 80s cheese here would be perfect for a one-shot convention game.

Blue Falcon is probably more well-known for his sidekick, Dynomutt. Naturally, he's motivated by a desire to avenge his sidekick's demise at the paws of Scrappy Doo.

I want to try to avoid making the game too centered on one particular company's universe of superheroes.

Now I have to think of a system to use. Something rules light would probably be good. I own Savage Worlds, Icons (only in PDF at the moment), Marvel Super Heroes, and the non-rules light Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition. Which would model this type of game best? Savage Worlds? Maybe something I don't have, like Cartoon Action Hour? It should be something easy enough for someone to pick up with just a quick explanation at the beginning of a 4-hour convention game.

Walking Dad

First Post
Cartoon Action Hour (2) is really quiet good for the game you have in mind.

I'm partial about ICONs as I don't really like the FATEsque stuff in it. If you like this, the game is great, but the point buy method is not well balanced.

For Savage Worlds I think you would need one of the 'Supers' supplements (Either Necessary Evil or better the Companion) to build the character adequately.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
ICONS, Savage Worlds (with the supers companion), and Cartoon Action Hour 2 are at the top of my list. Which do you think is easiest to GM and easiest for players to pick up on with a minimum of explanation? Pre-gens will be provided, so they won't have to worry about character creation; just jump in and play.

Remove ads