• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Superhero RPG

Mallus

Legend
D.Shaffer said:
...Wow, that came out? I should probably buy a copy at some point, if just to see what ribbons my character got (if any) :D
It came out last fall. The author sent me a complimentary copy because I had one of the audience faves....

Which character did you enter?

Dr. Confoundo

First Post
jmucchiello said:
Yeah but for a 100 point power a flat -1 underrates the value of a limitation. .

Eh. So far I haven't seen any limiters that couldn't be covered in the "-1 pt per rank, or -1 pt flat" scheme. (OTOH, I also haven't seen any powers that cost 100 pts, so YMMV)

jmucchiello said:
So a 4D6 (80) NND (+4) AoE Radius (+4) Only at night (-2) power would cost 80 * 12 / 6 or 160 pts (240 active). (Old system 4D6 (20) NND (+1) AoE Radius (+1) Only at night (-1/2) costs 20 * 3 / 1.5 or 40 pts (60 active)).

I bet that would solve most of HERO's "complexity" faults. And that change also makes it possible to rebalance the characteristic better: Str could be 5 or 6 instead of 4. Comeliness and stun would be 2 instead of 1/2. But I've now wandered into HERO forums territory
I've played HERO for years, and I can still barely keep up with your 'simplified' system. HERO is a remarkably intricate system, and you can do some amazingly precise powers with it, but that complexity is more of an anchor around it's neck than anything else. I tried running HERO with my current group, and after a few games they rebelled and told me to shut it down. Now, after some time has passed, we've moved on to M&M, and we're remarkably happy.

Driddle

First Post
Jim Hague said:
... Please don't make sweeping, insulting generalizations when, frankly, those generalizations are entirely wrong.

:lol: Sweeping, insulting, entirely wrong, you say?

Dang those pesky generalizations. They pop up in the darnedest places.

(But for the record: I'm right. :p )

Kafkonia

First Post
I haven't played T&J (I already have MSH, GURPS Supers, Champions BBB edition, and Heroes Unlimited) but I've listened to a game of it over on rpgmp3.com's patron section, and it seems quite elegant if you're willing to freestyle a bit during play.

Krolik

First Post
Kafkonia said:
I haven't played T&J (I already have MSH, GURPS Supers, Champions BBB edition, and Heroes Unlimited) but I've listened to a game of it over on rpgmp3.com's patron section, and it seems quite elegant if you're willing to freestyle a bit during play.
T&J is an OK game but it's a little too freestyle for my tastes. T&J's the type of game that will benefit from Type A GM but suffer from a Type B GM, and the same for the players.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
pawsplay said:
I hate to open this can of worms, but I have to object to a little multiplication and division as being "tons of math."
Some of us drink more beer (or ale for me) than others while they game. While I may say I'm concerned about the math of a game I'm really think how much will I be able to drink!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
On HERO math...

There is a reason why each version of the game included a table to help keep track of the math. Not that the math is hard, just intricate (IOW, there might be a LOT of modifiers or limitations on a particular power).

As long as you had the table, you probably didn't need a calculator or spreadsheet.

(Not that a calculator wouldn't help, mind you...)

Jim Hague

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
On HERO math...

There is a reason why each version of the game included a table to help keep track of the math. Not that the math is hard, just intricate (IOW, there might be a LOT of modifiers or limitations on a particular power).

As long as you had the table, you probably didn't need a calculator or spreadsheet.

(Not that a calculator wouldn't help, mind you...)

Exactly. And MnM, for its simpler structure, has rather intricate math and special cases as well, thus the fabled Simpson's sheet being a great aid. So it goes with any point-based system, I think.

Remove ads