Supers20 Q&A

Vigilance

Explorer
This is a thread for folks to ask questions about my upcoming Modern20 sourcebook, Supers20.

Here's the basics:

1. What system is this for?

Supers20 is for the Modern20 modern rules variant I did awhile back, which has proved to be very popular.

That said, this is an OGL book and should also be compatible with those who want powers added to any d20 game, though it will take some tinkering to make it fit a game where feats are hard to come by (Modern20 grants a feat at every level in place of class abilities, a la True20).

How does the system work?

The core of the system is the Power Level feat, a feat you can take multiple times that provides your base power level for all your powers. This eliminates the need for "power points" which also makes generating heroes and villains faster.

For example, if a character had taken the Power Level feat 5 times, his PL would be 5 for all powers. If he then took the Blast power feat, his blast would inflict 5d4, since Blast does 1d4 damage per PL.

Some powers can have a PL above your base, through the application of Power Limitations.

For example, if your Blast could only be used once per day, that would increase the PL by +4, meaning your blast would operate at PL 9 while your other powers would operate at PL 5.

How does the system handle gadgets and magic?

Supers20 is an effect-based system, meaning that your power's effect is defined by the player. So your Blast power could be part of a Battlesuit, a big gun, or a magic spell.

However, the system does have powers specifically designed to give your character a technological or magical feel. Powers like Gadgetry, Sorcery, Unique Weapon and Unique Vehicle will help you tailor your character.

How does the game handle origins?

In keeping with the effects-based philosophy used to design the game, Supers20 has no "origin" for your character represented in a mechanical way. This means Batman could potentially take all the same powers as Superman, it's just a question of your vision for your character and how many feats you have to spend.

Does this book have classes?

No, but it is designed to work with the classes in Modern20 and one power, Regeneration, references a Modern20 class ability. Weapons, vehicles and armor, included in the equipment section are also included and are done according to the statistics of Modern20.

But the powers could work with any OGL game that uses feats and hit points.

Can you write up character _____? He's my favorite super-hero!

Ive done a lot of sample characters on my blog (established and new) you can look at. For now, Id rather just talk about Supers20.

The sample characters are: Katanamochi- hero of Japan, Excalibur- hero of Britain, Minuteman, The Savant,
Old Glory, The Veteran, Generic NPC to show how easy it is to customize an NPC, Deadpool, Luke Cage, Banshee, Superman, Iron Man.

I have a question!

Good! I'll be around to answer them as best I can :)

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
I wouldn't use the construct traits from the SRD.

I'd just stat a character up like I would any other type of character.

Characters like the Vision are just supers. In general, robot supers are self aware and as prone to being confused, mentally attacked and such as any other type of character.

So I'd just follow the normal rules, giving the character Mind Shield power if you think his robotic nature makes him especially resistant to psychic attacks, the Life Support power if you think he'd be perfectly fine in any environment and not need to eat or sleep and so forth.

You could also throw in some immunity feats for good measure if the robot was REALLY not humanoid, Immune to bleeding (if the campaign uses the injury rules), Immune to Exhaustion, etc.

As a specific example where I know this has occurred, once the Scarlet Witch used her hex powers to defeat Ultron. In Supers20 terms, this blast, which is mutant chaos/magic would be defined as a Psychic Blast.

Sunsword

Adventurer
Hi Chuck,

I have a question about Supers 20.

When saving for half damage for powers such as Aura or Blast, is the DC of the save 10+PL? I apologize if I've just missed this information.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, for anyone who is a fan of D20/OGL games, but M&M isn't your cup of tea, Supers 20 is excellent. I've GM'd/played Champions/Hero, M&M 1&2E, DC Heroes, DC Universe, Brave New World, Savage Worlds/Necessary Evil, Marvel SAGA, Marvel Super Heroes, Guardians, GURPS Supers, Heroes Unlimited, Super World & Wild Talents. It is my favorite Supers game to date.

Brutorz Bill

First Post
Hi Chuck,
BTW, for anyone who is a fan of D20/OGL games, but M&M isn't your cup of tea, Supers 20 is excellent. I've GM'd/played Champions/Hero, M&M 1&2E, DC Heroes, DC Universe, Brave New World, Savage Worlds/Necessary Evil, Marvel SAGA, Marvel Super Heroes, Guardians, GURPS Supers, Heroes Unlimited, Super World & Wild Talents. It is my favorite Supers game to date.

Sunsword, you've definately gotten my attention. I'm a fan of d20/OGL games, but just never got into M&M. I've played BNW, M&M 1&2, and ran a very successful Heroes Unlimited Campaign. I even helped a friend work up his own version of a d20 Supers game (Comic Book Super Heroes by Black Drink Creations). I've been looking for a new supers game for quite awhile now.
What kind of campaign have you run with it??
The upcoming Dark Future sounds right up my alley. Vigilance have you posted any session logs anywhere from your home campaign?
Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Sunsword

Adventurer
Sunsword, you've definately gotten my attention. I'm a fan of d20/OGL games, but just never got into M&M. I've played BNW, M&M 1&2, and ran a very successful Heroes Unlimited Campaign. I even helped a friend work up his own version of a d20 Supers game (Comic Book Super Heroes by Black Drink Creations). I've been looking for a new supers game for quite awhile now.
What kind of campaign have you run with it??
The upcoming Dark Future sounds right up my alley. Vigilance have you posted any session logs anywhere from your home campaign?
Thanks!!!

Hey BB,

I'm working on a campaign set mostly in a version of the Marvel Universe Post-Civil War, but not necessarily Pre-Secret Invasion(PC's will work for the Initiative but Secret ID's & costumes won't be emphasized). I have no real experience playing the game, but I can make a 10th level PC in about 10 minutes after 2 characters. Powers have a similar set-up to Heroes Unlimited in that you take say Ice Control & can use different Stunts to emulate Ice Armor, Ice Slides, Resistance to Cold, Ice Wall, etc. And the points-free Power Level Feat system is EXCELLENT. I can't recommend it enough!! I'm also using the No Class Skills option for Modern 20 Compendium which is great for an Cinematic game.

Sunsword

Adventurer
Hi Chuck,

One more question:

I know that Perks can be used at 1/2 Skill Ranks. Can Power Stunts be used at 1/2 effectiveness as well?

Brutorz Bill

First Post
Hey BB,

I'm working on a campaign set mostly in a version of the Marvel Universe Post-Civil War, but not necessarily Pre-Secret Invasion(PC's will work for the Initiative but Secret ID's & costumes won't be emphasized). I have no real experience playing the game, but I can make a 10th level PC in about 10 minutes after 2 characters. Powers have a similar set-up to Heroes Unlimited in that you take say Ice Control & can use different Stunts to emulate Ice Armor, Ice Slides, Resistance to Cold, Ice Wall, etc. And the points-free Power Level Feat system is EXCELLENT. I can't recommend it enough!! I'm also using the No Class Skills option for Modern 20 Compendium which is great for an Cinematic game.

Sounds pretty cool. I especially like the part about being able to work up a high level character quickly, and still have lots of options, customizability.
Sounds like I'm going to have to pick this one up.
Thanks again!

Vigilance

Explorer

Thanks!!!

Heya BB, no session logs, Im not nearly organized enough for that, but I have posted several villains from upcoming products, mostly the upcoming WWII supers campaign model.

Id also like to do an enemies book in the future, which is looking more likely, since the book is selling pretty dang well right now.

Chuck

Remove ads