Suppose D&D was outlawed tomorrow...

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
shadowthorn said:
Let's say, for some strange reason, that D&D and all other RPGs were outlawed tomorrow. It became a felony to possess RPG paraphrenalia, and to actually be caught playing an RPG would likely land you in jail or prison.

What would you do?

If the Federal Government became that despotic, the only thing to do would be to take up arms against it and overthrow it. Jefferson envisaged the likelihood of such need back when the nation was new...

Gary

Wuxia

First Post
shadowthorn said:
Let's say, for some strange reason, that D&D and all other RPGs were outlawed tomorrow. It became a felony to possess RPG paraphrenalia, and to actually be caught playing an RPG would likely land you in jail or prison.

What would you do?

Maybe I would resume playing, at long last.

shadowthorn

First Post
Thanks for the interesting replies. For the purposes of this example, let us say that the banning of RPGs was not indicative of overall tyranny, but was a bizarre exception to the rule. That is, the government (of your country) is still the same as ever, except that somehow, RPGs have been banned. Finally, they are prosecuting. If you are caught with RPG materials, you will be fined at the minimum. Repeat offenses or being caught playing will likely see you incarcerated.

Seriously, let's say it happened (don't tell me a bunch of D&D players can't pretend, for god's sake!)...

What would you do?

Don: Jail is a short-term facility, usually where a person is held while awaiting trial or after trial, waiting to be transferred to a long-term facility. One can be sentenced to jail, but typically for short stretches, like 30 days, for example. Prison is where people go when they have 6 months or more to serve; they're placement centers, not way stations.

Fade

First Post
My concern isn't the RPGs, it would be the governmental attitude and power. There are strong paralells to the Toonan case, and I'm pretty sure that said precedent would allow the federal government to overrule the state government (which normally sets the criminal code), in order to comply with international treaties (human rights; privacy)

Wormwood

Adventurer
shadowthorn said:
For the purposes of this example, let us say that the banning of RPGs was not indicative of overall tyranny, but was a bizarre exception to the rule. That is, the government (of your country) is still the same as ever, except that somehow, RPGs have been banned.

From where I sit, such an obvious abridgement of free speech rights would *require* a runaway, despotic government!

I'm with Gary on this one.

Tsyr

Explorer
Re: Re: Suppose D&D was outlawed tomorrow...

Col_Pladoh said:

If the Federal Government became that despotic, the only thing to do would be to take up arms against it and overthrow it. Jefferson envisaged the likelihood of such need back when the nation was new...

Gary

Actualy, I'm changing my answer, I like Gary's better.

Remove ads