• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suppose D&D was outlawed tomorrow...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
You know it funny...

Reading over this, I remember a time, not too long ago, when the Okalahoma incident occurred, and they had just caught McVeigh. I had a dream (no like Martin Luther King Jr! ;) ) that a militiant miltia group had taken over the US, out lawing all the stuff I used to enjoy AND enjoined my rights as a US citizen BECAUSE they wanted to control the world. Anyway, so me and my buddy (gaming buddies no less) became outlaws, AND we fought the bastards, basically using both hit and run tactics AND no guns. We used swords, polearms, heck even tossed dynamite at them while the rest of us used crossbows against the more heavily armed guys. It was cool! :) Kind of King Arthur and His Knights deal against US would be dictators.

EOL

First Post
Re: Re: Suppose D&D was outlawed tomorrow...

Col_Pladoh said:

If the Federal Government became that despotic, the only thing to do would be to take up arms against it and overthrow it. Jefferson envisaged the likelihood of such need back when the nation was new...

Gary

I think Gary nailed it. If RPG's were outlawed then I wouldn't be wasting my time playing them, because there would be more important things to do like spend all my time trying to return the government to lucidity.

Someday I'll take some time and learn to quote old posts...

But I agree whole-heartedly with Col_Pladoh. If the government became that despotic, it would have to be overthrown, just as most nasty governments usually are with some time. If it was that strange hypothetical situation where everything else was fine, but D&D was outlawed, i'd probably just keep on playing--it's an unenforceable law, just like the Mp3s. If I really was threatened by the law, I'd get the hell out of dodge--not before I vented some frustration on the government somehow though... lol

Turlogh

Explorer
As a Canadian, Isuppose we would have to help you oppressed Americans out yet again. Yeah we'd open an underground railroad to smuggle gamers out (Just like we did with British Loyalists, ex slaves, and supplied you with beer during prohibition!):D

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Although I am Canadian, I just want to send a shout out to Colonel Pladoh and all who have agreed with him so far.

I get worried sometimes about the herd mentality I see in the U.S.A.. The TV news does not show a flattering picture of the American masses.

It warms my heart to know that when your government gets too big or too pushy, there will be those who won't go quietly.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I suspect this topic could have been tittled (Poll: What's YOUR alignement?). And it seems pretty obvious, all of you're Chaotic Good. or at least Chaotic...

Interesting, now I begin to understand why they say CG is the alignement of American people...

:D

Last edited:

TalonComics

First Post
dagger said:
Well at least if I was in prison, I could still order from Talon!

Lol... Now that's funny!

As a retailer I'd be a big target and probably get my stuff confiscated right off the bat. Luckily I have an underground bunker filled with RPG books so I could still be an "underground subversive." ;)

~D

Frostmarrow

First Post
It gets worse...

What if it wasn't only oulawed and banned but also scorned upon by the general public? Say, to the extent society treats certain vile criminals today. Publishing names of known role-players on websites, writing obscenities on suspected role-player's front doors and so on. Ex-role-players naming old gaming buddies. Mobs beating role-players on sight. Then what would you do?

This is getting eerie.

Remove ads