D&D 5E Surf's D&D 5e Monster Analysis

Quickleaf

Legend
So I just got my DMG, and as promised I'm going to analyze my homebrew monster Smiling Jack (CR 13?) using the guidelines/table for determining Final Challenge Rating on DMG page 274.

According to your guidelines [MENTION=84774]surfarcher[/MENTION] Smiling Jack is probably CR 13 as I demonstrated up thread, while according to the DMG he seems to be CR 11.

[SBLOCK=Calculations (more like table lookup, really)]
Defensive Challenge Rating = 9
HP (143) x 1.25 = 178.75 ---> CR 8
Damage Resistances ---> used 1.25x HP modifier for CR 13.

Magic Resistance ---> increased effective AC by 2.
Entropic Ward ---> increased effective AC by 1.

AC 17 +2+1 = 20 ---> two points higher than expected value (18), therefore increase CR suggests by HP by 1.

Offensive Challenge Rating = 13
Damage/Round 76.5 +2 = 78.5 ---> CR 12
Entropic Ward ---> increase effective Damage/Round by 2.

Attack Bonus +11 ---> two or more points higher than target value (+8), therefore increase Offensive Challenge Rating by +1

Average Challenge Rating = 11
Average Challenge Rating = (Defensive Challenge Rating + Offensive Challenge Rating) / 2
= (9 + 13) / 2 = 11
[/sblock]

The differences seem to emerge in calculating defensive value. For example, you take into account all saving throws (not the unusual 3 or more saving throws cut-off in the DMG) as well as skills in calculating the defensive index. It is possible Smiling Jack's many skills inflated his defensive index.

According to the DMG increasing his hit points from 143 to about 190 should bring his defensive challenge rating up to 13, and him up to a CR 13, without a doubt!

surfarcher

First Post
[MENTION=84774]surfarcher[/MENTION] Cheers mate! I figured after all the great work you've put in, it's the least we can do!
Aaww... Thanks for the kind words!

So many directions I could go with this now. But I think I'm going to finish the monster manual analysis in conjunction with the DMG and then try to come up with a more accurate method than the DMG!

Remove ads