Survivor Appendix E (5e) Authors- Ursula K. LeGWINS!

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 27
Anthony, Piers 10
Augusta, Lady Gregory 19
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 23
Bulfinch, Thomas 24
Cook, Glen 27
Froud, Brian & Alan Lee 21
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 22
Jordan, Robert 13
Kay, Guy Gavriel 22
LeGuin, Ursula 23
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 8
Peake, Mervyn 23
Pratchett, Terry 24
Sanderson, Brandon 23
Smith, Clark Ashton 22
Tolstoy, Nikolai 1
Wolfe, Gene 22

Terry Pratchett Quote of the Day:
“They may be called the Palace Guard, the City Guard, or the Patrol. Whatever the name, their purpose in any work of heroic fantasy is identical: it is, round about Chapter Three (or ten minutes into the film) to rush into the room, attack the hero one at a time, and be slaughtered. No one ever asks them if they want to.
This book is dedicated to those fine men.”
- Guards! Guards!

Okay, I’ll raise the blade that finishes Nickoleo Tolstoyevsky. But Piers Anthony, I’m coming for you next.

Upvote for Sir Terry. For all the humor, his depiction of dwarves remains a big influence. It’s funny, sure, but it’s never cruel to them.

Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 27
Anthony, Piers 10
Augusta, Lady Gregory 19
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 23
Bulfinch, Thomas 24
Cook, Glen 27
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 22
Jordan, Robert 13
Kay, Guy Gavriel 22
LeGuin, Ursula 23
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 8
Peake, Mervyn 23
Pratchett, Terry 25
Sanderson, Brandon 23
Smith, Clark Ashton 22
Tolstoy, Nikolai 0
Wolfe, Gene 22

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Seeing Tolstoy finished off with a simultaneous upvote for Pratchett is all I ever wanted to see in this thread.

chrisrtld

Adventurer
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 27
Anthony, Piers 8
Augusta, Lady Gregory 19
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 24
Bulfinch, Thomas 24
Cook, Glen 27
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 22
Jordan, Robert 13
Kay, Guy Gavriel 22
LeGuin, Ursula 23
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 8
Peake, Mervyn 23
Pratchett, Terry 25
Sanderson, Brandon 23
Smith, Clark Ashton 22
Wolfe, Gene 22

Oh Raistlin, the edgelord before being an edgelord was a thing. Re-reading the first two trilogies, he comes off badly (as does Caramon, for that matter). Raistlin is mostly a jerk, and at the very end, his redemption feels entirely unearned.

It makes me kinda sad that the Dragonlance authors were knocked out so early. Like, I get that the books aren’t as great as you remember them being when you were 12, but I still have a soft spot for them. And heck, they birth a whole campaign setting.

Hickman, Tracy & Margaret Weis 3-2=1 Soon! Just punishment for afflicting the world with Raistlin!

Sacrosanct

Legend
Oh Raistlin, the edgelord before being an edgelord was a thing. Re-reading the first two trilogies, he comes off badly (as does Caramon, for that matter). Raistlin is mostly a jerk, and at the very end, his redemption feels entirely unearned.

It makes me kinda sad that the Dragonlance authors were knocked out so early. Like, I get that the books aren’t as great as you remember them being when you were 12, but I still have a soft spot for them. And heck, they birth a whole campaign setting.

I actually liked their Death Gate series better, even if Alzheimer's Gandalf...er...Fizban makes an appearance in that series as well.

Re: Robert Jordan, I couldn't make it halfway through the third book. The entire series just droned on and on and on with a dozen pages devoted to describing what a road looked like.

Grognerd

Explorer

EXACTLY! The inordinate attention that W&H gave him really turned me off to the whole world of Krynn. Of course, it didn't help that the characters I actually did take a liking to died: Sturm, dead. Flint, dead. I never wanted to say it, but I loved Tika (though that was probably mostly due to Elmore rather than W&H's writing). Had I said it openly she might have died! :p

Of course, I would be inclined to vote against W&H anyway on the basis of the plodding tales of the Darksword trilogy (or even worse, the "game" introduced in the Darksword Adventures book!), it just wouldn't have been as passionately! :)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!

When DL came out I loved it. Sure I was like 12 but finding a real D&D novel at B. Dalton was a moment of nirvana. Then when the Time of the Twins series came out I devoured them rabidly. I read the final novel in that series the day I bought it. Picked up some of the short story collections after that but never got into the later trilogies, and when I went back and re-read them as an adult found them to be kind of weak but not to the Piers Anthony level mind you. Would love to see a big budget movie adaption, or a well done TV series though.

Remove ads