D&D 5E Survivor Cleric Domains- LIFE DOMAIN WINS!

Iry

Hero
Should we have expected any other outcome from the board that brought us the successive Campaign Setting Survivor winners Birthright and Blackmoor?
These are basically joke threads we just do for fun. Usually a middle tier wins because it flies under the radar for a long time, and then a couple of posters swoop in like batman and vote someone popular off the island right at the end. =P

(Speaking as someone who has done some swooping!)

Last edited:

CTurbo

Explorer
These are basically joke threads we just do for fun. Usually a middle tier wins because it flies under the radar for a long time, and then a couple of posters swoop in like batman and vote someone popular off the island right at the end. =P

(Speaking as someone who has done some swooping!)

I don't think that's what happened here. I think the most popular domains were the last remaining.

JonnyP71

Explorer
Life Domain won then? The least interesting class archetype in the whole game?

Do none of you have any sympathy for the poor sod who has to play the healbot?

werecorpse

Adventurer
Disagree. The benefit of the healing domain cleric is that it's healing has enough power to free up the cleric, making them less of a healbot.

Glad forge didn't win, damn munchkin +1 armour bleah.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So the way to free up the cleric from being a healbot is making them more of a healbot? :erm:
I think the argument he's making is that a healbot ONLY heals. And that the healing domain allows powerful healing, and with bonus actions and such, so the cleric is able to heal the party and still do all kinds of his own things with non-healing spells. That would make the cleric not a healbot, despite healing.

Personally, I love clerics and have played tons of them since 1e, and I haven't been a healbot since 2e. Starting during 2e, and then on through 3e I played clerics for what I wanted to play them as, and not as a fountain of health. I see no reason to change that with 5e.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I think the argument he's making is that a healbot ONLY heals. And that the healing domain allows powerful healing, and with bonus actions and such, so the cleric is able to heal the party and still do all kinds of his own things with non-healing spells. That would make the cleric not a healbot, despite healing.

Correct

Aldarc

Legend
I get what they are trying to argue, I just don't think it applies particularly well to clerics, particularly in 5e, whether to life or non-life clerics.

Personally, I love clerics and have played tons of them since 1e, and I haven't been a healbot since 2e. Starting during 2e, and then on through 3e I played clerics for what I wanted to play them as, and not as a fountain of health. I see no reason to change that with 5e.
Of course. Almost two-thirds of my characters played in D&D are clerics, druids, and bards. I have not felt a need to play them as heal-bots, so the idea that the empowered healing of the Life cleric somehow makes non-healbot play possible comes across as a weak argument on my end. Regardless of your spec, the cleric is what you make out of them. In 5e, you have limited slots either way, and in especially in 5e, healing is already a breeze. Full HP is restored after a day. Most combat entails using the minimal healing, if any at all, just to keep people in the fight. But most combat favors that clerics focus on offense, including offensive support spells, to down opponents quickly. Healing is mostly a side-job in 5e.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I get what they are trying to argue, I just don't think it applies particularly well to clerics, particularly in 5e, whether to life or non-life clerics.

I don't have an opinion on it one way or the other yet. We still play 3e primarily, but we alternate DMing and one of the guys just started a 5e game. I'm finally able to play more than a one-off at a convention, but don't know clerics yet. I'm playing a paladin.

Of course. Almost two-thirds of my characters played in D&D are clerics, druids, and bards. I have not felt a need to play them as heal-bots, so the idea that the empowered healing of the Life cleric somehow makes non-healbot play possible comes across as a weak argument on my end. Regardless of your spec, the cleric is what you make out of them. In 5e, you have limited slots either way, and in especially in 5e, healing is already a breeze. Full HP is restored after a day. Most combat entails using the minimal healing, if any at all, just to keep people in the fight. But most combat favors that clerics focus on offense, including offensive support spells, to down opponents quickly. Healing is mostly a side-job in 5e.
Easy healing has been my experience so far, but again, we're just starting so... :)

Remove ads