• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Survivor Core Classes- Fighter Wins!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Feh. You go to bed on the West Coast thinking "it's not midnight yet" and now just LOOK what happened.

Lousy final. Very disappointed in you ENworld.
How can you possibly be disappointed when - let's face it - the best class won?

And, who on the west coast goes to bed before midnight anyway? :)

Lan-"charter member of the Fighters' Union since 1984"-efan

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
How can you possibly be disappointed when - let's face it - the best class won?

And, who on the west coast goes to bed before midnight anyway? :)

Lan-"charter member of the Fighters' Union since 1984"-efan

Max-"The getting older working parent"-person. ;)

Wulffolk

Explorer
I was always bored with plain old Fighters.
DM: (Sets up the adventure). What do you do?
FIGHTER: Let others talk. Wait for something to kill.
Later that day . . .
DM: There is an orc attacking you. What do you do?
FIGHTER: I swing my sword. (Rolls d20 and maybe damage)

5 levels later . . .
DM: (Sets up adventure) What do you do?
FIGHTER: (Playing with phone until combat starts) Huh?
Later that night . . .
DM: There is an Ogre attacking you. What do you do?
FIGHTER: Swing my sword TWICE! (Gleefully rolls 2 x d20s and damage)

I know that you can RP more, but I just don't find the lack of decision points for the typical Fighter to be interesting or compelling. I need to have something going on outside of combat, and I need to have interesting tactical decisions to make in combat.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I know that you can RP more, but I just don't find the lack of decision points for the typical Fighter to be interesting or compelling. I need to have something going on outside of combat, and I need to have interesting tactical decisions to make in combat.

I blame the Rogue for that problem, imo the worst class D&D has ever made.

BoldItalic

First Post
Taking the long view, RPGs had their genesis in war games in which fighters are the only "class". It's fitting that the fighter won.

A bit of whimsy: imagine this thread were a story-board for a graphic book or a movie and each poster described the actions in their respective posts.

It would be like the speed-dating version of a multi-author tale.

I like that idea. Let's do it all again, and this time ...

Barbarian 21gp
Bard 20gp
Cleric 20gp
Druid 20gp
Fighter 20gp
Monk 20gp
Paladin 20gp
Ranger 20gp
Rogue 20gp
Sorcerer 20gp
Warlock 18gp
Wizard 20gp

It was crowded in the Frolicking Frog that evening but there was one corner that seemed curiously empty, as if there was an aura about it that made people quietly avoid it. It wasn't the smell, it wasn't even the bloodstained benches, it was the presence of a hooded, black-robed figure with a scythe over his shoulder and, where in another story he might have had a chess board in front of him, there was a little row of hourglasses.

A Warlock stumbled by and sat down heavily. He was his usual doom-laden self, trying very hard to get drunk and nearly succeeding. He deeply regretted taking an internship with SpellCorp but now they practically owned his soul and he couldn't get out of it. They were sending him up-country tomorrow and he was dreading it. You just knew it was trouble when they paid your expenses in advance like that. He eyed the black-robed figure and something went snurgle in his brain. "Hey buddy," quoth the Warlock, "Wanna drink?"

Ah, Jeremy isn't it? Don't mind if I do, replied Death of Classes magnanimously. I'll have something small and gloopy with an umbrella in it (2gp).

Nothing happens in the multiverse without consequences. When money changes hands, someone always makes a profit. Sure enough, at that very moment, there was a rattle of coins not far away as Throg the Barbarian thrashed a gambling machine he was abusing and ten silver pieces fell at his feet. He looked around, beaming with pride. "Throg win jackgoblet!" he announced to the room in general.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Barbarian 21gp
Bard 20gp
Cleric 20gp
Druid 21gp
Fighter 20gp
Monk 20gp
Paladin 20gp
Ranger 20gp
Rogue 20gp
Sorcerer 20gp
Warlock 18gp
Wizard 18gp

Some time ago, Moss the Druid had drunk a potion of Enlarge Self followed by a potion of Haste and then wild shaped into a giant frog. This combination now made him gargantuan. He became ravenous and jumped about and ate anyone and everyone he could see. It was soooo crowded inside the Frolicking Frog now.

Book the Wizard knew how to stop this monster. She had read somewhere that if you place two gold coins upon a frogs eyes, then it became paralysed. She cast Jump on herself and leaped onto the large green top lip of Moss.

His tongue came out, gave his eye a squeaky wipe, caught Book, and then swallowed her whole.

Book had not prepared Absorb Elements and so she slowly dissolved in acid. Her last thoughts were Maybe it was silver....

Dargarnit! I bit!

Remove ads