• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Survivor Iconic D&D Monster- BEHOLDER WINS!

G

Guest 6801328

I don't wanna stir the pot or anything, but how did Orcs not make the list? Drow, Mind Flayers, sure. But no orcs? They are about as iconic in D&D as the 10'x10' room with a chest in it.

I think because they were already iconic for things that predated D&D. Same reason Chimera and Minotaur, for example, don't make the list.

Ask the random man on the street what an Orc is and if they've heard of it you'll probably get a Tolkien reference.

Ask the random man on the street what a Displacer Beast is and if they don't give you a strange look you know they play D&D.

EDIT: upon further thought I'm not sure this is an accurate measure, given how many gamers will be looking at you strangely the moment you make eye contact, or even before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beholder 28
Displacer Beast 20 Save the blink dogs!
Flumph 9
Gelatinous Cube 22
Githyanki 18-2=16
Gnoll 12
Lich 22
Mimic 21
Mind Flayer/Illithid 23 Mauve is my favorite color.
Owlbear 21
Purple Worm 20
Rust Monster 20+1=21
Tarrasque 13
Umber Hulk 21

Schmoe

Adventurer
I am severely disappointed that there is neither a Gazebo nor a Darkness on this list. Oh well.

Beholder 28
Displacer Beast 20
Flumph 9-2 = 7
Gelatinous Cube 22
Githyanki 16
Gnoll 12
Lich 22+1 = 23
Mimic 21
Mind Flayer/Illithid 23
Owlbear 21
Purple Worm 20
Rust Monster 21
Tarrasque 13
Umber Hulk 21

Yardiff

Adventurer
Beholder 28
Displacer Beast 20
Flumph 7
Gelatinous Cube 22
Githyanki 16
Gnoll 12
Lich 23
Mimic 21
Mind Flayer/Illithid 23
Owlbear 21
Purple Worm 20+1=21
Rust Monster 21
Tarrasque 13-2=11
Umber Hulk 21

Sacrosanct

Legend
Aha! Just figured out why I couldn't find the other monster survivor thread. Because it was during that period where all posts from late May to early September were deleted. I did find the winner picture though

owlbear.jpg

Beholder 28
Displacer Beast 20
Flumph 7
Gelatinous Cube 22
Githyanki 16
Gnoll 12 - 2 = 10 - Gnoll way!
Lich 23
Mimic 21
Mind Flayer/Illithid 23
Owlbear 21
Purple Worm 21
Rust Monster 21 + 1 = 22
Tarrasque 11
Umber Hulk 21

Ed Laprade

First Post
Beholder 28
Displacer Beast 20
Flumph 7
Gelatinous Cube 22 +1 = 23.
Githyanki 16 -2 = 14.
Gnoll 12 - 2 = 10 - Gnoll way!
Lich 23
Mimic 21
Mind Flayer/Illithid 23
Owlbear 21
Purple Worm 21
Rust Monster 21 + 1 = 22
Tarrasque 11
Umber Hulk 21

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I almost feel like no reads my introductions anymore. :)
No, I read the instructions...I just don't agree with the assessment. :) It feels like Orcs have only become pop-culture icons since the Lord of the Rings movies were released, but I've been casting magic missile at them for more than 30 years.

That said, I can see the point you are making, and I can squint and agree. I'm really just here to downvote the Giths anyway.

Last edited:

Remove ads