• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Suspended) OOC The Thirteenth Moon, a Story-Driven Campaign (D&D 3.5 Eberron)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Yes, I examined it. Looks good so far. Immediately reminded me of a Karrnathi individual, which is why I mentioned it. I will have to spend some time thinking of a good mentor for such an individual.

I noticed that the leader of the Karrnathi nation used undead to fight rather then surrender-that does not mean necromancy is sanctioned by the silver flame, raising the dead to fight as undead is still evil, right?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I think you might have confused a couple details, so a brief history on Karrnath: During the Last War, under Kaius I, the worship of the Blood of Vol was the state religion. Kaius I himself became a vampire and the Order of the Emerald Claw, originally founded as a knightly order to defend the crown of Karrnath, became an arm of the Blood of Vol. With the Blood of Vol to guide them, the Karrns took to embracing the practice of necromancy and began raising the fallen from battles as undead to continue to the fight. This had several advantages, key of which was the fact that undead soldiers required no food, and Karrnath had experienced many famines throughout the Last War. Over the years they honed their craft, producing superior types of zombies and skeletons which possessed their own intelligence and were actually capable of independent thought and leading their own undead forces. While Karrnath still used traditional men and women brought up through the military ranks to lead their armies, they diversified their forces with undead, a practice which most of the other nations found particularly abhorrent.

By contrast. The Church of the Silver Flame originated in the city of Flamekeep (which has the religion as its namesake) in Thrane when a paladin of Dol Arrah allied with a coautl while battling a fiend. The two merged body and soul to defeat the fiend and became an inexorable flame of silver light which persists to this day and is the centerpiece of the Silver Flame religion. Its adherents seceded from Galifar during the Last War and eventually deposed their monarch, replacing the monarchy with a theocracy led by the Church. Thrane and Karrnath were bitter enemies throughout most of the Last War and their religious differences were a key element of their inability to reconcile. The Church of the Silver Flame does not condone or allow the raising or control of undead in any way, shape, form, or fashion (at least not officially; with the grey alignment rules in Eberron there is the occasional evil priest of the Silver Flame who might see things differently). Animating the dead is still an evil act, and the Church of the Silver Flame is a Lawful Good religion.

Karrnath never surrendered during the Last War because no one really surrendered, but everyone lost. After a hundred years the Five Nations (minus Cyre, which had been destroyed) looked upon what destruction they had wrought and decided enough was enough. The Karrns still keep undead legions though because they still have a fundamental agricultural supply problem, among other things. However, the Blood of Vol is no longer the official state religion. It is still tolerated by the people however and remains an influential voice within Karrnath. Its priests are the chief suppliers of undead forces to the military. And the head of the main temple to Vol in Karrnath is undead himself. This is not to say everyone in or from Karrnath endorses the idea of using undead in the military or even the toleration of the Blood of Vol though. In fact, it is one of several reasons for the large Karrn population in Sharn.

Okay, so that was not as brief as I had originally intended. Can you tell I know a lot about Eberron? :)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I am a huge fan of Eberron. I own all the 3.5 rulebooks and have read each and every one cover to cover, some of them multiple times. I have not yet read the novels, although they are on my "to read" list right behind Game of Thrones and perhaps mixed in with the Rifts novels (I am also a big Rifts fan and even though the novels are God-awful--read the first one already--they are still a source of ideas for the game).

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
AAARRRGGGHHH_tried to xp your 'brief summery' but have to wait 24 hours to give again.

ok! got it, and I have a bit of inspiration for a background addendum.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
One of my favorite things about Eberron is how much it draws on influences from detective stories like the Maltese Falcon. I really like making that a big part of the Eberron games I run.

You guys may have noticed a couple of things so far, and I wanted to take a moment to explain some of them.

First, you probably noticed that I often include skill check DCs in the post. While these might seem a bit like railroading, they are not intended that way. I try to anticipate the most likely skill checks that players will want to roll so that you can know your results right away and take action before having to wait for me to give the results of the skill check. In other words I am just trying to be proactive. The skills I list in my posts are by no means the only skills that have relevance to the current situation, just those which I believe are most likely to be used by players in a given situation. If you want to make a skill check for something else, anything at all, please do so and I will give you the results in your next post.

Another thing you might have noticed is that I am introducing a couple new rules to the game piece by piece. For example, Vigil has earned a Hero Point. I feel it is better to introduce minor changes I make to the game as we go along like this rather than give you an omnibus of all the variations I use during the game. The campaign rules in the wiki are only the most important ones that have immediate relevance to play. Other minor things will pop up from time to time, but they will generally be like the Hero Point rule, minor additions that do not impact the way your character is built or plays. I make very few actual changes to the rules as written, even though I could probably re-write the entire d20 system if I wanted; this is because I think it is just simpler to use the rules-as-written than it is to try to teach players a whole different way of playing the game. So rest assured that the 3.5 rules you are used to work basically the same in my campaign as they are written in the books. The only important changes are those detailed in the campaign rules wiki. A link to these rules can be found on the first page of this OOC thread. You can access the wiki by accessing this campaign in the campaign manager. I believe I also posted a link in page one of the IC thread.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
As we continue the campaign. I will be expanding the campaign wiki (and also editing the main page a bit because I feel it could be more user-friendly). But I thought I would single out a great addition made by DarwinofMind for Alise, found here. Adding to the wiki is not mandatory, but it is a great way to keep track of character information, diaries, histories and such without having to scour through the IC or OOC threads. When you see something interesting you want to note, you can create a page in the wiki for your character's information and just copy/paste into that page.

I will also be creating separate wiki pages for NPCs you encounter. For example, The Wounded Elf is a new page that you may edit to add details about this NPC if you wish. I put only minimal protections on editing (cannot be moved or renamed), so you can edit this page if you like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads