Swamp Trek III: The Search for Ter-raen

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Indeed, the meager remains of the man's hand is plenty to restore his life force, as is proved to you when you gather the next day on the shore of the swamp.

The lizardfolk bring you to a mound of rotting foliage, molded into a vaguely humanoid shape, into which Richard's fingers have been transplanted, rather grotesquely, where they would go were mound his real body. When you arrive, the elder lizardfolk is just finishing an endless chant, and miraculously, Richard's fingers are twitching.

Within moments, the mound of rotting leaves begins to move and shake. From beneath the pile, on the other side, you see a slender, delicate hand emerge. Weakly, it begins to brush the dead brush off of its form, slowly at first, and then more quickly.

The naked form of an elf stands before you now. His face is narrower, and his ears are pointy, but it is unmistakably Richard Rawen. You also notice that his two fingers, the only pieces of him that remained, are rather thicker and knobbier than the others on that hand, and a faint seam at the knuckle indicates where the old body ends and the new one begins.

The lizardfolk elder tells you that the process required an enormous amount of the lizardfolk's scarce resources, and now that he has made your friend whole again, he expects you to do the same.

(How are you paying for this procedure?)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"what kind of items of intrest do you require for trade? I have rope of silk and metel daggers i can give."

Trouvere

Explorer
"Och, laddie, laddie, ye're cursit!" Gildrim wails. "Ye're a prancin' prissy pointy-eared beardless - " but he cannot bring himself to say it, even with the evidence right in front of his eyes. "Can ye bear it? Aw shoud... shoud we dae th' kindest thing? We've money tae pay for anither try! It cannae be worse th' next time!

"An' for th' love ay decency, someone cover him up wi' a... verra small... cloth."

Gildrim turns to practical matters to cope. "Karl, Weel, lat's get oot th' gear we brocht. An' Ah've gold haur. Mebbe it's nae sae much use tae ye in th' swamp, but ye can buy a lot wi' it, if ye'll trade wi' someone fram well ootside Cragger's Rest. We'll send someone, an' th' Craggerfowk dinnae have tae knaw."[sblock=OOG]Do you suppose rolling for elf subtype is in order? We have high, gray, wild and wood as standard PC races. Wood in particular is a spectacular reincarnation choice for a Fighter (+2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, but not -2 Int in this case).

Here is the list of the trade goods we brought for the lizardfolk. Possibly writing it down in Common would have been useful, but that's 5 gp of spices, 50 fishhooks, a shortbow with 100 arrows, and a longspear, total value 50 gp. That's little more than a goodwill gesture. The other 950 gp comes straight from Richard's coin purse, saved by Gildrim. The lizardfolk probably have no use for gold directly, but we can arrange for a reputable trader to meet with them north of Cragger's Rest. Converting 'rare oils and unguents' into trade goods isn't a bad deal for the lizardfolk.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
ooc: it was mentioned that rope is particularly valuable to them.
IC: Karl snickers at the fact that their comrad is bare, then turns to get a winter blanket for him to wear asw a kilt or something, "Here you go Richard the pointy eared" He hands it to him with his back turned. once it is taken from him he helps Weel with the gear they had brought before.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Even though the dense foliage of the swamp keeps it quite shaded, the first thing Richard does in his new life is wince in pain at the bright light which floods his vision... the next is to try to process all the sounds, the depth of which is new to him.
'Why am I so weak? How come everthing is So Bright and Loud? Wait, what was the dwarf babbling about?'
With no small effort Richard raises his hand before his squinting eyes, shading them and tries to peer into the world so recently restored. The blurry shapes before him swim into focus. Counting his companions, he smiles as his brain figures out they are all there!
He's grateful for the blanket, though it seems ... bigger? and scratchy!?

"hey" he tries. The voice he hears is creaky, and that makes sense enough because he feels like he's come off a two day drunk... but why is it so... squeaky?'wait' new eyes narrow, canted eyebrows scrunch up in concentration 'oh for the love of dirt, did Karl say Pointy ears!?' Richard's focus switches to his hands, his slender, small, delicate...
"I'm... what happened?"[sblock=OOC: ]SO... wow, lol. Thanks for bringing me back :) As a practical matter, the Reincarnation spell description states that Hit Points remain the same... however with the loss of Constitution RR loses Hit Points equal to one per level, correct or? Next, I've taken the following as his Racial Traits, ignoring the weapon profs as those are due to growing up learning them - correct?

•+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
•Medium: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
•Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
•Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
•Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
•+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.

Damn, Richard's a sissy elf lol, but he's not a KOBOLD!
Also, I'm in process of editting RR's character sheet, could someone pass me a bit of leather armor and a pointy stick or something... not that he can stab anything tougher than ... well, dirt right now, but he's NEKKID![/sblock]

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
"Juist, juist try not tae think aboot it tay soon," Gildrim says, voice choked. "Tae think, he coud hae cam back a dwairrrrf," he mutters to himself. "Whit a world."[sblock=OOC, Rules]Richard loses 1 level, and is left on an XP total halfway to his previous level, in this case 8000 XP. After a previous PC death, time XP was awarded nonetheless, so following that precedent, Richard is still owed 4x50x12=2400 XP, and will regain 5th level after a rest.

The Reincarnate spell specifically calls out that he retains feats and skill ranks he previously possessed, so even though one of his 1st level feats is a human bonus feat, and he has 7 extra skill points, he retains those as an elf.

He gains the racial ability modifiers for Str, Dex and Con only. If a high elf, he gains +2 Dex, -2 Con. If a wood elf, +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con. If a wild elf, just +2 Dex. If a gray elf (you'd better hope not), -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con. We should figure that out quicksmart.

Assuming he's a subrace that reduces his Con from 14 to 12, as a Fighter 4 he'll have 10+7+8+7+4=36 HP.

He gains elf (Ex) abilities: this includes immunity to sleep, +2 saves vs enchantments, low light vision, minor skill bonuses and the ability to spot secret doors etc.

It appears that Favored Class is also an (Ex) ability, which may affect future multiclassing plans. That 5th level of Ranger may or may not be a good idea to repeat.

His lifespan has been drastically increased. Though he is chronologically 23 years old, his body has the appearance of an elf in its 110s and he can now expect to live another four centuries.

He does not gain the ability to speak Elven.

I think that's everything. Corrections and additions welcome.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Weel Naxel, human cleric

"hey" he tries. The voice he hears is creaky, and that makes sense enough because he feels like he's come off a two day drunk... but why is it so... squeaky?'wait' new eyes narrow, canted eyebrows scrunch up in concentration 'oh for the love of dirt, did Karl say Pointy ears!?' Richard's focus switches to his hands, his slender, small, delicate...
"I'm... what happened?"

Weel is fascinated by the entire process. So enthralled is he by the miraculous magics at work, he seems completely unaware that his reborn companion is naked, though thankfully Karl is quick enough to hand him a covering, which jostles Weel into movement again, helping collect the gear to give the druid and re-outfit his companion.

"The hydro ... -a. Hydra, well, it killed you. But Gildrim kept enough of you for a rebirth. You just walked the final road, and came back to walk the roads of this world again!" Weel says. "Phyrah, but that must have been an amazing journey."

Richard Rawen

First Post
... "The hydro ... -a. Hydra, well, it killed you. But Gildrim kept enough of you for a rebirth. You just walked the final road, and came back to walk the roads of this world again!" Weel says. "Phyrah, but that must have been an amazing journey."
Richard tries to calm his breathing. ok. I'm an Elf. Alright...'
Military training kicks in and he surveys the surroundings, reluctantly acknowledging to himself that his new eyes and ears seem to pick up details more keenly. Everyone stands around him. Some lizard covered in fetishes regards him with an expression only another lizard could read. Shrugging, Richard stands... well he tries. The whole time he's desperately trying to remember what "amazing journey" he has been on.[sblock=Afterlife: ]So, Richard is Neutral Good, but since it now matters to him (laughs) and he has had no religious affiliation...
What would his afterlife had been like in LEW terms? I'm excited to make this a transformation in more ways than one, but I don't want to take too much license on these things if there's something established that I should follow. Thanks for your help![/sblock]I will be out of town for my Son's wedding until Tuesday the 19th or so... hopefully someone out there can answer a couple of my questions? Have a great weekend! RR

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Afterlife]I don't believe there is an established afterlife. Several characters have brushed with death, and I think their players have usually RP'd it like a dream of nothingness or a hazy recollection of lights, interpreted later as vague memories of another world.

In short, I think you're free to formulate Richard's experience however you like.[/sblock]

Richard Rawen

First Post
Richard squints a bit more, standing there in the clearing a ways into the sunlight. He's dressed in ill-fitting leathers, a belt pulling the jerkin into line and quite obviously holding the pants up.
"Well, as to my journey... I can scantly remember a thing. Though there is a ... um.. green... man? Hey, has anyone seen Sally, my horse?"

Remove ads