Swashbuckling in Freeport

Morrow

First Post
Session 12 - The Aftermath - 11/6/2005

The next morning, a note arrived from Sully requesting that the party meet her at the Chumhouse that afternoon. They complied, arriving early to catch up on the latest rumors about the death of Sea Lord Drac. They were surprised when Sully arrived in a coach with the Wallace family crest on the side driven by an extremely nervous liveried servant. Sully was frantic. Her brothers had finally tracked her down and she was sure they had come to drag her off to marry her betrothed, an boorish Thonian infantryman named Biff Kelly. Nate and Bronson were somewhat skeptical that the elder Sullivans would be able to take Sully anywhere she didn’t want to go. Nate advocated confronting them. Sully was inconsolable and insisted that they secure the ship that Sister Gwendolyn had promised and leave Freeport immediately.

While the party plotted a course of action, Sully explained that when Dezi, the proprietor of the Scholar’s Quill, had told her that her brothers were waiting to see her, she had fled to the Wallace estate. Buster Wallace had taken her in and given her a room to stay the night. Buster, totally enthralled by Sully, had given her the use of his coach and agreed to help her outfit and crew a ship.

Bronson agreed to seek out Sister Gwendolyn and inquire about the ship. Sully, with Queg for protection, would go to the Roberts estate and try to recruit Nifur Roberts and some of her fellow well bred hellions to their crew. Nate and Tavaari would look in on Sully’s brothers.

Sully and Queg took the coach directly to the Roberts estate. Sully, now well known to the servants quickly gained entrance and presented her proposition to Nifur. Miss Roberts immediately agreed, and asked for a couple days to recruit some of her friends.

Nate and Tavaari tracked down the inn where the Sullivan brothers were staying. Nate, his head filled with dreams of being the first mate aboard a ship crewed by horny nubile pirate sluts, managed to gather enough of his wits to concoct a simple plan. He found the brothers in the common room and began to perform. Using his fascination abilities he caught their attention and suggested to the eldest brother that Sully had left port this very morning for the mainland, and he should follow immediately. Nate and Tavaari slipped out the back while the brother’s argued over leaving Freeport.

Bronson sought out Sister Gwendolyn at the temple of Shalimyr, God of the Sea. Gwendolyn soon agreed to see him, and reported complete success in her part of their bargain. The pair left the temple and Gwendolyn lead the way to another part of the temple district. She showed Bronson a walled compound in the shadow of the Old City walls, halfway between the Merchants District and Drac’s End. The walls of the compound were falling down and the great wooden gates had been torn down. A number of stone and wooden structures had once stood inside, but now they were all simply burnt piles of stone. Overgrown trees and gardens clog the paths between the piles of rubble, making passage nearly impossible. Bronson saw only possibility.

Sister Gwendolyn explained that two years ago the inquisitors of Maal, God of Justice, discovered that this temple was a front for a group of diabolists. They burnt the compound to the ground and scoured all taint from the land. The temple of Shalimyr eventually acquired the land, but they had only recently rediscovered the deed. Apparently fear that the land was haunted kept squatters away.

Next Gwendolyn lead him to the docks and they hired a boat to take them to a ship moored in the harbor. Gwendolyn explained that Councilor Verlaine had acquired the vessel only a month before his death. It had been seized by the Captains’ Council along with the rest of Verlaine’s estate by order of Sea Lord Drac when Verlaine was revealed to be in league with the Brotherhood of the Yellow Sign. Most of the crew found positions on other vessels when they were told that the ship was unlikely to return to service as a merchant vessel. The two crewman who remained were still on board. The rowboat passed a row of ships at anchor and a modest single masted vessel came into view. Even before he caught sight of the name painted on the stern, Bronson recognized the Albers. It was the very ship he, Sully, and Nate had traveled aboard when they came to Freeport. Their friends Old Pete and Dert stood on the foredeck waving to him.

The party laid low for a few days. Tavaari kept an eye on the Sullivan brothers after they had been unable to find a ship leaving for the mainland. Sully spent much of her time with Buster, while Nate prepared the crew and ship. Bronson was busy planning for his new temple. Nifur had managed to convince a few of her fellow board young heiresses to leave Freeport with her and the young ladies quietly prepared for their departure. It was a hot, sticky morning when the Albers sailed out of port under the able command of Captain Sullivan and her first mate, Nate Black. Bronson stood on the docks and watched the Albers until it disappeared beyond the horizon.

Morrow

First Post
We picked up the story of Nate, Sully, Bronson, and Tavaari nearly four years later. The Albers and her crew have made a name for themselves in Freeport's pirate community.

Tavaari has established a respected postion in the Freeport underworld and has become a useful ally to several rich and powerful figures in the city. He has also acquired the bricked-up house over the first hidden temple of the Unspeakable One that the party discovered. He has built a townhouse on the site and the former temple and the access it offers to tunnels beneath the city have proved extremely valuable.

Bronson has constructed a small temple and works tirelessy to expand the faith of Aster in Freeport. While his neighbors are somewhat nervous with the band of skeletons and zombies that populate his temple, he has gained some goodwill by dealing with a number of dangerous undead who have plagued the city. Bronson pursued Margaret Roth, daughter of Torsten Roth, head of the Merchants Guild. He was heartbroken when she was betrothed and subsequently married Buster Wallace.

Last edited:

Morrow

First Post
The Captain's Log of the Albers (Courtesy of Sully)

Captain’s Log
The Albers has proven her mettle amidst harsher seas than I would have chosen for her, and I am pleased. The girls, on the other hand, have not been so pleased as I. Niffie has been eager to learn, but Pansy is rather focused on the correlation between the weather and the frizziness of her hair. For the most part, however, this crew has proven as sea-worthy as the vessel that carries it- a bit worse for wear, but eager to please.
Soon, we should be arriving in Nithia, where we can wait out the remainder of the rainy season in peace.

Captain’s Log
Our time in Nithia has been well-spent, mostly on training and research, but we all look forward to returning to life at sea. Roz and Niffie have excelled in their combat training, but Pansy and Stacia seem more suited to my social training. In fact, Stacia has assumed the moniker Jugs. Indeed, the name is apt. Under my guidance, Jugs and Pansy have been able to learn much of the ships that will soon be leaving port as well as their destinations and cargo.
Meanwhile, Nate has used his shore leave to teach Dert to play the fiddle. I’m sure that’ll come in handy…

Captain’s Log
Blast the Pint and a Half! The crew is greatly discouraged after a disastrous raid of the small merchant vessel, the Pint and a Half. It seems the Albers is ill-equipped to arouse much fear in the hearts of our victims. We are not ready to give up, but this decrease in morale will not likely lead us to victory. My girls have shown great courage, but the men Buster provided are merely seamen without great talent in battle. It seems more training is in order. Perhaps my girls can help me to train them in combat, and perhaps we can do something about their morale as well.

Captain’s Log
It is apparent that we will need to fortify the Albers before we attempt another raid. Despite the meticulous training of Buster’s seamen, we were unable to take even the smallest of merchant ships, Peache’s Pride. We just do not have the necessary armaments for pirating. We are now returning to Nithia to do something about that. Nate and I have devised a plan to acquire some cannons. Hopefully, we will fare better in that endeavor than we have in our last two raids.

Captain’s Log
We arrived in Nithia under the cover of darkness last night. Just as we had hoped, the naval vessel, the Obelisk, was still in port. Nate had some knowledge of the ship and its captain, Phineas Munch, an overweight pompous career naval captain he remembered from his youth. The port is considered safe, so the crew was ashore on leave, only a skeleton crew aboard to guard the Obelisk. Nate snuck Dert on board, and he drugged the grog. Arround that time, 5 very thirsty gals showed up on the dock. The guards were more than happy to oblige, leading them onto the boat for a drink. Soon, the guards were out, and the girls and I dragged them below deck. Shortly thereafter, the crew of the Albers arrived to borrow enough cannons and ammunition to arm the Albers. We also helped ourselves to the ship’s stores including rations and a modest amount of coin. The Albers slipped away an hour before sunrise to celebrate their first successful venture.

Captain’s Log
This morning, Old Pete spied a merchant Vessel on the horizon. This was to be the first test of our new arms. The Captain of Sophie’s Choice attempted evasive maneuvers, but surrendered upon our first warning shot. They gave no resistance, so we were glad to leave them with their lives. The take was modest at best. It is clear the ship was en route to Nithia to restock its stores. However, we were able to acquire some fine linens. Dert has proven to be a rather good tailor, and we look forward to seeing what sort of frocks he can produce for us. Pansy has already drawn up some attractive designs that are also well suited to combat. Jugs thinks that we should call ourselves the Vagina Gang, but none of the crew thinks that would be in particularly good taste. Roz has suggested Fox Force Five, and Niffie has suggested The Albers’ Sirens, but I honestly don’t see why we need a name for our party of female fighters. Nate says it will help our infamy grow, especially in song. I suppose to make a name for one’s self, one must first have a name. So be it. We shall be known as the Devil’s Concubines.

Captain’s Log
Sailing North across the Sea of Dawn, we have begun trailing a mid-sized merchant vessel which looks rather promising. Old Pete recognizes it as Rosemary’s Baby. He sought work aboard Baby a few years ago, but Captain Cranston Touchhole turned him away stating that he was far too old and feeble to be of any use aboard his fine ship. Pete told the Captain to take his fine vessel and shove it up his touch-hole but not before he had a look around. It was indeed a lovely ship but not well-equipped to handle attacks. Pete says that Captain Touchhole is just the type to be pompous enough to carry high-value cargo without the proper man-power to protect it. We’re keeping our distance while we work out a plan. Rosemary’s Baby is under-armed, but she is a good ship, and could easily slip away if we are not careful.

Captain’s Log
The morning dawned with our distress flag raised. It was not long before Rosemary’s Baby turned and came to our aid. Captain Touchhole presented a generous offer to rescue the women and cargo, but I graciously declined and responded with a cannonball through his hull. Baby’s crew did not respond well to our gift and charged onto our main deck, but my crew was ready. Touchhole’s men were quickly dispatched by my skilled men and women. The captain pleaded for his life, but I had no mercy for the man who ordered his crew aboard my ship. He knelt on my deck with tears in his eyes. His last words were, “At least let me die at the hands of a man.” I spilled his innards across the deck with a flash of my sabre.
I instructed my crew to board Rosemary’s Baby and take as much cargo as they could carry. The cargo mainly consisted of great casks of Atlantean rum and wine. Touchhole’s chambers revealed an abundance of maps charting much of the eastern sea along with a chest of gold and silver. In his armoire, I found mithril armor (glad he wasn’t wearing it) and his mistress, Miranda. Not surprisingly, she was glad to be rid of Touchhole. Miranda’s father had lost her to Touchhole in a game of poker some months earlier, and she was eager to join our crew. She told me that the mithril shirt was magical and presented it to me with relish. I rewarded her by giving her my own armor in exchange and vowing to teach her to defend herself.

Captain’s Log
Last night’s victory celebration got a bit out of hand. The wine and rum flowed freely, and Nate composed a rousing tune in commemoration. In the boisterous jubilation, the crew accidentally threw a roughneck named Bull overboard, but Roz quickly jumped ship and saved him. The crew has taken to calling me Bloody Cate. They mean it as a term of endearment, but I know that it is because of my merciless behavior yesterday. I have considered trying harder to control my temper, but had the roles been reversed, Touchhole would have had no mercy for me, and so if I must leave bloodied bodies in my wake to make my way in this world, that is what I will do.
We travel now to Selba, to the east, where we can sell off much of our stores and make room for further conquests.

Captain’s Log
Last night, Dert got into the rum again. He spent the greater portion of the evening stomping around the Albers insisting that he was a dragon. We gave him five lashes and sent him to bed.

Captain’s Log
Our time in Selba has been largely uneventful. We got a fair price for the remaining Atlantean rum and wine, but Nate lost most of his share in the gambling dens. He was able to make some of his money back singing of our victories in the pubs near the docks.
We depart now for Freeport to return to our friends and exchange stories of our adventures.

Captain’s Log
Our arrival in Freeport was greatly anticipated. I was relieved to see Buster waiting for me at the dock, and the girls were all happy to be reunited with their families. Of course, we all wore our best, and made it seem that the Albers’ travels had been entirely respectable.
The men will take turns performing guard duties during our stay here. Many of them have nowhere else to go. The Albers is their home.
Niffie has invited me to stay with her family, and Nate is staying with Bronson.
Most likely, we will not depart until the fourth month of next year, when much of the rainy season has all but passed.

Captain’s Log
This year’s Swagfest has brought good news of my brothers! Ben and Dirk have long since departed Freeport in hopes of finding me elsewhere. George is still here, and Tavaari tells us that he was glad to see the others go and has given up on bringing me home to Biff. Still, I am a bit wary of meeting with him, but this is very good news. My courtship with Buster has been the subject of much gossip in Freeport, and I will not be able to hide from George for very long.

Captain’s Log
It looks as though we will have a new addition to our crew in Fourthmonth. George was very happy to see me, and concedes that Buster Wallace is a much finer match than Biff Kelly. He was more than a bit surprised to see what a strong woman I have become in my absence, and when he learned that I am the captain and co-owner of a ship, he nearly lost his senses!
He is soon to learn the arts of sailing and swordsmanship, and I believe he will be a fine addition to the crew.
Although I am glad to have him accept me as I am and become a friend as well as my brother, I cannot help but doubt his intentions. I have hired Tavaari to keep an eye on him and monitor his correspondence while we are in Freeport. He knows that I am well-connected in the city, so I doubt he is stupid enough to try to betray me, but a girl can never be too careful.

Captain’s Log
It has been good to spend time with Bronson and Tavaari during my time in Freeport. Last night, the ale flowed freely. A local bard even sang some of Nate’s songs recounting our adventures- The Captain’s Cannon, the tale of our raid of the Obelisk; and a couple of songs about the beautiful but deadly Devil’s Concubines. Of course, Nate says he got them all wrong, but I was just amazed that tales of our exploits have made it back to Freeport already.
The joy and freedom I felt last night has come far too infrequently in Freeport. Too much of my time here has been spent being a proper lady. Buster has asked for my hand, but it would not be a good result for either of us. I believe that I was not meant to be domesticated by any man. I do love Buster, but I cannot expect him to give me the freedom I desire if I accept his proposal. I cannot be the wife he deserves. With genuine regret, I must break with him. I’m sure I will forget him as the first wave crashes against our bow.

Captain’s Log
We are on our way to Drost, a human outpost in the heathen waters to the south of Freeport. We plan to hit as many Orcish and Lizardman vessels as possible on the way. The waters are littered with them, and they are ripe for the taking. The crew has been most loyal. Most of them are back aboard the Albers, and they are eager to see action again. As for me, I am eager to see how George fares in battle. If he is as good with a sword as he is at gambling, he should do well. He’s taken a fair amount of Nate’s money, and the two seem to get along quite well. I am pleased to have him along.

Captain’s Log
Heathen schmeathen!
These smallish vessels have proven far too easy targets for the Albers. We have amassed quite the haul and will soon be arriving in Drost to sell our cargo. I do fear, however, that George hasn’t the stomach for pirating. He has told me that he will not be continuing with the Albers after we reach Drost. I must admit, I am sorry to see him go.
Captain’s Log
Finally, a moment to relax! We have arrived in Drost, and much of the crew is on leave until next moon. They have earned it. The last of the take has been distributed, and I finally have time for a drink. I am staying at a cozy inn near the docks called

Captain’s Log
I have no boat!
Nate fetched me last eve after returning to the Albers for a routine check. Upon his arrival at the dock, he found no Albers, only Dert and Old Pete nursing bruises on the pier. The Albers has been confiscated by the navy and the crew on board jailed. Nate is rounding up the crew on shore leave while George and I work on a plan to get the Albers back. We have discovered that Captain Munch is on a privateer commission targeting pirate vessels in the area. He has claimed the Albers as his own personal prize. Blast you, Captain Munch!!!

Captain’s Log
Our plan to win back the Albers begins at dusk this evening. George has discovered that Captain Munch is an inveterate gambler, so he is going to attempt to try to win back the Albers in a card game. Meanwhile, the girls and I will accompany Nate to the jail in an attempt to free our imprisoned crew. It’s a long shot, but we’d rather die than allow that fat, old naval captain to leave port with our beloved ship!

Captain’s Log
My crew is safely back aboard the Albers!
Nate and I arrived at the jail just after nightfall. The girls and I attempted to use our wiles to distract the guards while Nate went in and freed our crew, but the guards were somehow able to resist our advances. However, when that failed, Nate was able to convince them with song. The guards left the cells unlocked and unattended, and we slipped in and freed all of the prisoners, not just our crew. This incited a riot in town, but the authorities remained unaware until after George had won back the Albers. While the navy attempted to suppress the riot of escaped prisoners, we were able to slip aboard our ship and make our escape. It was brilliant; however, I have asked Nate not to commemorate it in song, as it seems the Captain’s Cannon is what fueled Munch’s hatred for the Albers in the first place.

Captain’s Log
We returned to Selba for a short rest and to drop off George. Selba seems to be as good a place as any for my brother to make his life as a gambler.

Captain’s Log
We arrived six days ago, and we have been celebrating our daring rescue of the Albers and escape from Munch ever since. The other night, after Nate sang a rousing round of She’s Only Bloody Cate Once A Month, we heard word of a cruel pirate who had kidnapped one of the local prostitutes at the Salty Dog. Her name was Mirna, and the pirate went by Dirty Steve. The description of his vessel indeed matched that of the Red Lady. Niffie and I have spent a great deal of time with the prostitutes over at the Salty Dog to try to determine where they went. We mostly heard reports that the crew of the Red Lady had been smelly and abusive, but one of the girls told us that she had heard they were headed for Glantri. She referred us to Mirna’s brother, and told us that they left only one day before our arrival.

Captain’s Log
We are en route to Glantri in search of the Red Lady and Dirty Steve. We have lost Pansy, who stayed behind in Selba with George, and we have gained Mirna’s brother, Davey. He’d like Steve’s head as much as I would.

Captain’s Log
We’ve had a successful raid or two since leaving Selba, but not much in the way of rations, so we stopped at a small island called Morin to restock our stores. Many of the merchants’ stock, however, had been plundered only three days earlier by the Red Lady. We’re making ground on them!

Captain’s Log
Our stop in the City provided some interesting information. There was a letter waiting for me at the Red Parrot. Buster has offered his hand to Margaret Roth. They are most certainly wed by now. I mustn’t dwell on that, though. We also received word that the Red Lady departed only one day before our arrival. Dirty Steve is so close, I can smell him!

Captain’s Log
Only four days’ journey from Glantri, and an early hurricane forced us ashore on the gnomish island of Ingalgete! Our hopes of catching Dirty Steve have been dashed, but this should make for an interesting rainy season.

Captain’s Log
These gnomish boys know how to treat a lady! They’ve showered gifts on me and the other girls since our arrival. One of them has even placed an enchantment on my sabre. Of course, if any of them actually got their hands on me, I doubt they’d know what to do with me.

Captain’s Log
Nate and I spent the night in the cemetery in honor of Aster’s holy day. Between us, we drank a quart of rum, and at midnight, we raised our glasses to Bronson. I hope that all goes well with him.
On these rainy nights, my thoughts often return to Freeport and those we left behind.

Captain’s Log
The weather has cleared for a few days, but we dare not leave. The shores here are rocky, and the slightest squall could mean the end of the Albers.

Captain’s Log
A gnomish bard by the name of Gleep thought it would be funny to convince Dert that I was secretly in love with him. He crept into my room late last night and feebly attempted to seduce me. We gave him 5 lashes and sent him to bed.

Captain’s Log
The rainy season nears its end, and although we’ve had some good times, I am glad to be rid of this place. Nate has acquired a treasure map. We have not given up on finding Dirty Steve and the Red Lady, but there is no way of knowing where is by now. His ship is better equipped to handle poor weather, so it is anyone’s guess where the sea has taken him.

Captain’s Log
Nate’s map has led us to a small island six day’s journey southwest of Glantri. We go ashore at first light.

Captain’s Log
What folly! When we arrived at the treasure site, an ambush awaited us. Apparently, the treasure was entirely fictional. It was the ill-conceived plot of Fenster and Bung, the gnomes Nate had acquired the map from. Had they not seen our crew? Had they not heard our tales? Had they not surmised our skills? There were about a dozen of them. It was a massacre, but else were we to do? Nate was visibly shaken after the battle. He killed Fenster and Bung himself. Clearly, he felt betrayed. We made no protest when he insisted on keeping their personal items for himself.

Captain’s Log
The Western seas have brought little joy and less treasure. We have heard only tales of fair Atlantis. We seek our fortune, now, to the East.

Captain’s Log
After a short rest in The City, we continue our journey eastward. On our way here, we encountered few vessels, and were unable to amass much in the way of treasure. As we restocked our supplies, our stores of gold were much depleted. Hopefully, our luck will soon change for the better.
I sent a letter to Buster while in The City. I meant only to congratulate him on his nuptials, but it was difficult to betray my true feelings. I hope he is happy.
We lit a candle for Aster the other night, but Dert knocked it over and nearly burned the upper decks. We gave him five lashes and sent him to bed.

Captain’s Log
Finally, a raid worth noting! We took the Sea Urchin shortly after dusk last night. The girls showed true courage as the crew put up quite a fight, but we were able to take them. The vessel held great stores of exotic spices and beads. These should fetch a fair price at our next port.

Captain’s Log
We stopped in at Selba to visit with George and Pansy. George is doing well as a gambler, and Pansy is with child! They were married just one month ago, so now I finally have a sister.

Captain’s Log
The merchant vessels’ stores become richer and richer as we draw nearer our destination. Still, I am dissatisfied. It seems that nothing good in this life is meant to last.

Captain’s Log
Tomorrow, we should reach Skullytown on the Isle of Sin. I am anxious to see what price we fetch for the huge crate of monkeys we acquired during our last raid.

Captain’s Log
Dert accidentally dropped his corner of the monkey crate and set the monkeys free at the dock. So much for my fortune in monkeys!
Skullytown, on the other hand, has been quite a nice change from the increasingly dreary mood aboard the Albers. Nate’s songs regaling our adventures have reached farther than I could have imagined, and the depravity here is just what I needed. Thank the gods for wanton decadence!

Captain’s Log
We have arrived in Aasla, the greatest port city in the Empire of Atlantis. It is far more beautiful than I ever could have imagined. Towers abound, nearly touching the sky. The crew is settling in to enjoy several weeks of fair weather before the rainy season settles in.

Captain’s Log
I have discovered that Buster is here on business. I hesitate to approach him. I do not wish to upset his new life with Margaret.

Captain’s Log
I have received a letter from Buster. He insists on meeting with me privately. I am to expect him late this evening.

Captain’s Log
I have been meeting with Buster secretly. It seems that his marriage to Margaret was a marriage of convenience to satisfy both of their mothers. Neither of their hearts are in it. I pity his situation, but at least I am able to bring him some happiness.

Captain’s Log
We have received word from Bronson that his temple will near completion toward the conclusion of the rainy season. We will return to see his progress as soon as possible. I have mixed emotions about leaving this place. I look forward to reuniting with Bronson and Tavaari, but my time here has been magical for many reasons.

Captain’s Log
Nate has grown distant, and there is growing unrest between the girls. They will not tell me what has transpired to upset their friendship.

Captain’s Log
Nate is insisting that we leave Atlantis immediately. I have tried to explain the dangers this would present, but he is insistent. He is being entirely unreasonable. I fear he may be ill.

Captain’s Log
I have learned the reason for Nate’s distress. The harbormaster’s daughter, Sharla, is no longer able to hide her pregnancy. She claims that Nate is the father of her unborn child.
This is not good. Of course, Nate insists that the child is not his.

Captain’s Log
This morning, I found Nate drunk and naked in the gutter outside the Thirsty Moose. The harbormaster has insisted that he marry Sharla upon the birth of the child. Nate does not seem to be handling this very well. I must admit, however, that the girl’s belly is far larger than would be expected for her time. Perhaps she is having twins.

Captain’s Log
Sharla has given birth. Fortunately, it is obvious that the child is a half-orc. The weather seems to be letting up a bit, and we depart in one week. For all of our troubles, it will be difficult to say goodbye to the place.

Last edited:

Morrow

First Post
Tavaari's Activities (Courtesy of Tavaari. Who did you think?)

Tavaari's Time in Freeport...

With the ending of the last campaign, Sully and Nate both leaving on their wanderlust on their newly aquired boat, Tavaari has been tirelessly trying to make sure the right counselors have been getting their spots on the counsel, and again, the right Captain of the Guard to the position. The right people in the right places make Tavaari's life that much easier to do what he does within the confines of Freeport...

As I have been going about doing this, speaking to the people who represent the different sections of the city, I've been seen in my courtiers outfit, and other finery that makes the nobles/rich merchants of the city more at ease. While at the same time, roaming the shadows selectively listening, watching, and getting rid of the city's dirty little secrets that will get in the way of my agenda of having the right people on top so that they can owe their positions to me, or if not out right owe, be very gracious for my help and services in getting there...

Even though this community is based on piracy and has its own perverted image of a civil city, there still is an underground that controls the docks, and the rest that controls the city's back streets and alley ways. Using the people I know, and the underground sewers and deserted underground cult temples, I have been trying to re-setup an underground with demanding protection money from the dock owners, and then again from the merchants that need to bring their wares into the city, even though this city is pretty liberal with their trade, some stuff is still illegal to come in, especially after the latest cult-upheaval. Those merchants wanting an alternate route to enter the city's... market... are being told to ask me for my help in this matter.

Having rebuilt the house on top of the first raided temple we took out, I've also redecorated lets say the underground temple to a nice safehouse/hold- up for honored guests, for the ease of coming in and out of the city through the ex-temple.

Doing my rounds during the day, and then again at night for all the little signs within the city alerting me to certain news, or asking for help. Being signs of linen hanging upside down drying, or plants left in the widow sill a certain way. Slight enough of a hint for me, and not enough of a hint for even some passersby, some who may even be looking for these signs.

Having still being kept in contact with the Albers, Capt. Sully has been asking that I keep an eye on her brothers and keep an ear as to what's going on with that situation. I also keep her in on what the news is coming in from other vessels, who's rich to hit, and who's supposedly under our "protection" with the dock fees and the protection fees. Again, splitting this with her for any good items that might help me with the city's influence, magic or information, and if they hear anything going on out there in the world about Freeport. The influence of the city, the supposed character of the city, and the note that my name is the one to go to in the city for other ships that she might meet, either friendly, or the ones that she plunders, stating the fact that this might have not happened if they paid me what was asked of them in the first place to roam these waters.

While the man behind the scenes here in Freeport, I've been sending out tendrils to get more information about my parent's kingdom, and who's there, who's who, and how to best survey the situation. Having still not forgiven my father and the subsequent heirs that have been spawned to take his place in the royal courts. I would also like to have a quiet one on one word with my elven father ambassador sometime soon. With Sully getting out there in the world, asking her to also help in getting any news of the two kingdoms.

I've also been spending a lot of time with the local wizards and spell casters in the area helping hone and sharpen my new sorcerer ways. After reading up and learning more of my geneology from the learned of this island, I start to wonder, with my magical abilities and different good looks as well, blonde hair with golden eyes and a beautiful bronzed and well-honed body, if to wether or not I have any Dragon blood in me...

Morrow

First Post
From Morrow

Star of Against the Elves and creator of The Knights of Ill Fortune

In association with Persevering Productions and Total Party Kill Films

And sponsored by Never-Say-Die Healing potions​

Comes​

Swashbuckling in Freeport

Season Two

Black Sails over Freeport

Starring

Beth as Catherine “Sully” Sullivan

Sean as Nate Black

Rich as Tavaari

And Sarah as Bronson

With special thanks to Green Ronin Publishing and Dungeon

Last edited:

Morrow

First Post
Season Two Cast

Note: I'll update this section as I post new session logs, so if you aren't up to date on the story hour here thar be spoilers.

Starring

Captain Catherine “Sully” Sullivan a.k.a. Bloody Cate (Human Fighter 7)
Nate Black a.k.a. Nathaniel Blackthorne (Half-Elf Bard 6/ Freeport Pirate 1)
Bronson (Human Cleric of Aster 7)
Tavaari Naaldren (Half-Elf Rogue 3/ Sorcerer 3)
Queg (Bronson's Cohort. Spellstitched Bone Creature Half-Orc Ranger 2)

With

Morgan Baumann Captain of the Kraken's Claw
Lucien Buche Scholar
Galen Cobb Former deckhand and ship's carpenter of the Coup de Grace
Dert Cabin boy of the Albers
Morgan Erendyl Elf Swashbuckler and Wizard
Falthar Aasimar diviner, loremaster, and proprietor of Falthar's Curios
Shantar Froese Elf fighter, rogue, and first mate of the Kraken's Claw
Blaine Henry Long suffering proprietor of Rudolph's Exotic Book Shoppe
Lydon Member of the Captains' Council
Norton Cleric of Tinel
Peg-Leg Peligro Cleric and high priest of Harrimast
Old Pete Bo'sun of the Albers
Flint Quickfoot Gnome cartographer (dead)
Rebecca Fighter, bouncer and guard at the Smoking Dragon Club
Nifur Roberts Fighter and crewman of the Albers
Elias Scrimm Cleric of Aster
Drak Sockit Half-orc rogue, claims to be the son of Milton Drac
Throg Half-orc stevedore
Marcus Vale Wizard, Sea Witch, and former first mate of the Coup de Grace

And a cast of thousands…

Last edited:

Morrow

First Post
Session 13 - The Map - 11/18/2005

Sully, Nate, Tavaari, and Bronson sat around a candle lit table facing their old associate, Captain Lydon. Queg, Bronson’s skeletal cohort, stood guarding the door. Spread across the table lay an old map, purporting to describe the location of Yarashad, the mythical island where the pirate god Harrimast had hidden a mountain of treasure. The map showed five islands which the more nautically minded members of the groups were quite sure did not exist in any sea they had sailed. It seemed to indicate that Yarashad lay beyond Hell’s Triangle, a perpetually fogged over patch of ocean where fierce storms and massive whirlpools destroyed any ship foolish enough to enter. The rotund sailor leaned over the table, “How would you like to be filthy stinking rich?”

The quartet eyed the map, and Lydon, warily. Greed pulled at their hearts, but they were warry. No one had ever survived Hell’s Triangle. Were they willing to risk ship and crew on the authority of an old scrap of parchment? Lydon continued without pause, “I’d throw everything over and look myself, but the moment I was out of port half the pirates in Freeport would be after me. A friend of mine, a cartographer named Flint Quickfoot bought a map from someone who didn’t know what they had. He’s sure its genuine, and we’re bringing in an expert named Lucien Buche from the mainland to help decipher it. No one in Freeport can know about this map. Understand?”

He looked at each of them, weighing them against some internal measure. “Flint should be here any minute. Here is what I propose: I’ll fund the outfitting of the Albers. You four provide the muscle. Flint and Lucien will provide the expertise. If you find the treasure we divide it into seven shares for you four, me, Flint, and Lucien. Recognizing that you’re accepting the lion’s share of the risk, any magic you find will be yours.”

The four finally spoke, pushing for more information, betraying distrust, negotiating for a large stake. Lydon was unmoved, he had the authority of the map. He was offering them the greatest payoff in history. They would accept his terms. Finally he browbeat them into agreeing to continue, to at least explore the possibilities. A small smile played across his lips. He knew the quartet. Once they began, they were committed. They would play the cards they were dealt and they wouldn’t betray him. If they survived the rewards would be enormous for all of them.

“Here is the wrinkle. Lucien was on the Albatross, which was due in port two weeks ago. Rumor has it that she was waylaid by the Kraken’s Claw." They all knew the Claw and her captain, Morgan Baumann. She was as feared a captain as you could find in Freeport, with a quick blade and no mercy in her soul.

"If Bauman got her hands on the Albatross, she ain’t coming. My eyes on the docks tell me that the Claw arrived in port four days ago. They unloaded a prisoner, an old scholarly looking fellow. Bauman has a hideout in Scurvytown. I don’t know where it is. Find it, rescue Lucien and get him to figure out how to get through the triangle. I’m worried about Flint, you might start by looking in on him.”

And that was that. Lydon folded the map and secreted it close to his heart. His new partners left in search of the gnome. And so it begins.

* * * * *​

As they walked the quartet discussed what they had been doing in the four years since the Albers had fled Freeport, one step ahead of Sully’s brothers. In the intervening years Nate and Sully had established themselves as able pirates, Bronson had built a temple and began building a community dedicated to Aster in Freeport, Tavaari had established a place of influence in the criminal and political dealings of the city. One of Tavaari’s accomplishments had been to help Lydon secure a seat on the Captains’ Council, the ruling body of the city.

They also discussed recent unrest in the city. Freeport had recently seen an influx of cheap orc labor. Drac’s End and Scurvytown were packed with them. There was all the tension between orc and human laborers that one might have expected. Nearly the moment they arrived in Freeport Nate and Sully observed a riot, fighting between humans and orcs that was quickly put down by the Sea Lord’s guard. An interesting new wrinkle to the problem was that one of the many individuals who was claiming to be a member of the Drac family, and thus an heir to the position of Sea Lord, was a half-orc named Drak Sockit.

Drak was stirring up the orcs, fanning the flames of their discontent. He claimed that Milton Drac had taken advantage of his mother, an innocent orc maiden, showering her with gifts and promises. Now Drak had come to Freeport to claim his birthright and insure that his orcish brethren were treated fairly.

Before reaching the inn the group dispatched Tavaari to use his underworld contacts to find the location of Captain Baumann’s hideout. The others found Flint’s inn and were directed upstairs by a hostile serving woman. “The gnome’s been getting visitors all day.”

In fact, the gnome’s visitors were somewhat less than friendly. As the party approached Flint’s door they could here several voices growling threats. Sully quickly kicked the door in, surprising several sailors crammed into the small room standing over a bruised and battered gnome. The party quickly sprang into action. The sea dogs proved no match for Sully’s blade and were quickly dispatched.

The party tended Flint’s wounds and introduced themselves. Flint had little information about the map, he had bought it in a blind lot at the Freeport Auction House. He was able to confirm that the sailors were Bauman’s men. Undoubtedly Lucien had been forced give them his name. Soon Tavaari returned, bearing the location of Bauman’s hideout beneath a drug den in Scurvytown. Queg was dispatched to escort Flint to the temple of Aster while the others looked for Lucien.

Rudolph’s Exotic Book Shop sold rare volumes, but clearly did most of it’s business in pornography and explicit material. The old man behind the counter took little interest in Sully’s attempts at diplomacy, but was more responsive to shouted threats and finally being physically removed from his shop. That barrier out of the way, the party quickly found a hidden doorway behind a curtain and advanced down a dim hall. Their way was blocked by a heavy iron door. Tavaari addressed the problem as only he could, but his skills were insufficient to bypass the lock. Unwilling to give up the party bolstered Sully with Bull’s Strength and then helped her to batter the door off it’s hinges. The process took some time and was quite loud. By the time the party entered the drug den hidden behind the book shop, it was full of pirates, including the infamous Captain Baumann. Throwing caution to the winds the party moved to attack.

Bauman had little to say this time beyond, “Get ‘em boys!” and so battle was joined. The quartet could hardly advance into the room, it was so crowded with vicious sea dogs. Sully advanced into the room, but was quickly struck down by Bauman and Rebecca, a massive woman warrior who served as bouncer for the club. Bronson summoned a large fiendish ape into the midst of the sailors while Nate tumbled in to heal Sully. However the ape soon fell under a hail of arrows from Baumann’s elven first mate and Nate fell beneath Bauman’s blade. Bauman held her cutlass over the conscious bodies of Sully and Nate and forced Bronson and Tavaari to throw down their arms. Tavaari seemed prepared to make a break for it but Bronson shouted him into submission.

Baumann allowed Bronson to heal his friends enough to get them mobile, then ordered the group striped over their weapons and packs and firmly bound. They were then hustled into the pirates’ hideout beneath the building. They were taken to a dark round room and chained to the wall. It was little surprise to discover that they shared their cell with a bruised old man. They had found Lucien Buche. Now all they had to do was escape. No problem.

Last edited:

Hey Morrow, just dropping you a message to say I'm still on board. Been a little behind with my SH reading duties, but I'm getting there.

(spider hauls up the anchor and sails off into the sunset/oncoming comet)

Remove ads