• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Swimming in Armor

This has guy in the gym fallacy written all over it.

Fair enough 'Steve from YouTube' can't swim all that well in full plate mail.

Achilles the 20th level fighter however...

Ratskinner

Adventurer
hmm...

Swimming in any not-naked condition pretty much is a horrible experience, but the density thing would add a layer of concern with armor that robes and a typical pack wouldn't have.

My first thought would be to halve the Speed of fully kitted swimmers, perhaps risk exhaustion on a failed check. Fully armored? Wow, a distance-based DC penalty? (I'm not sure why almost everyone is focusing purely on a success / fail drowning check).

Of course, that's trying to impose some sense of realism. these guys are heroes, do whatever seems fast and simple.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using EN World mobile app

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Here is what I came up with, based on previous editions, and consistent with the styles of 5th edition rules. • While swimming, each foot of movement costs 1 extra foot, unless a creature has a swimming speed. To swim or stay afloat, you might require a successful Strength (Athletics) check. If you fail by 4 or less, you make no progress. If you fail by 5 or more, you go underwater. Calm water is DC 10, Rough water is DC 15, Stormy water is DC 20. Apply an encumbrance penalty to the Strength (Athletics) check: -1 per 10 lbs for creatures up to Medium size, -1 per 20 lbs for Large, -1 per 40 lbs for Huge, -1 per 80 lbs for Gargantuan creatures. In addition, I slightly modified the rules for drowning to make them seem more "realistic." • Asphyxiation — When a creature runs out of breath, it gains one temporary level of exhaustion per round, then drops to 0 hit points and is dying when it reaches level 6. If revived, the creature recovers from all levels of exhaustion that were gained from asphyxiation.
Wait, that's supposed to be keeping in line with 5e's "simplicity of design"? I would hate to see complicated...

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Uller

Adventurer
Roman soldiers were trained to swim in full armor. They often surprised barbarians by crossing rivers in full kit.

Also, ever heard of the freaking NAVY SEALS?!
View attachment 84905
Roman soldiers. Navy Seals. 20th level Str based fighter proficient in athletics...what do they all have in common? They are trained and strong.

Most people would find swiming in steel armor to be difficult. A charcter with a +9 athletics bonus can pass DC 10 swim checks all day long even if they are at disadvantage. Make it a 12 DC and they will still do better than the average person. At DC 15 it might get questionable for everyone.

This is one of those situations where between "you can't swim in armorat all ever" and "everyone swims in armor like it's a speedo" is an answer that meets player expecations of how the game world works but yet allows heroic characters to be heroic. Using disadvantage for some armor types accomplishes that, I think.

Wait, is this for a DMsGuild adventure? Then I think you should just stick with RAW if you're advertising it as 5e.
Yes, but many DMsG adventures and publications expend upon RAW. And as the text of my sidebar indicates, it's optional. It's a ruling, not a rule.

Besides, RAW does not address every situation, nor should it. This is advice for a GM running a purchased module.

Is that a DC 12 check to swim?

I would have thought swimming would be automatic. Unless you were in heavy armor was a ridiculously strong current in which case you might need to check.
Did you miss the entire discussion of the desire to make water an actual consideration and possible hazard? If swimming is automatic in every situation, then that takes a great deal of interest and variety out of combat encounters.

According to RAW, swimming is automatic unless the DM indicates otherwise. I'm indicating otherwise because it makes combat on a boat, with the bad guys trying to throw you overboard, interesting.

Roman soldiers. Navy Seals. 20th level Str based fighter proficient in athletics...what do they all have in common? They are trained and strong.

Most people would find swiming in steel armor to be difficult. A charcter with a +9 athletics bonus can pass DC 10 swim checks all day long even if they are at disadvantage. Make it a 12 DC and they will still do better than the average person. At DC 15 it might get questionable for everyone.

This is one of those situations where between "you can't swim in armorat all ever" and "everyone swims in armor like it's a speedo" is an answer that meets player expecations of how the game world works but yet allows heroic characters to be heroic. Using disadvantage for some armor types accomplishes that, I think.
+1 :)

schnee

First Post
Is that a DC 12 check to swim?

I would have thought swimming would be automatic. Unless you were in heavy armor was a ridiculously strong current in which case you might need to check.

DM's Guide p. 117:
- Only swim 8 hours max
- DC 10 Constitution check per hour or gain a level of Exhaustion
- Swimming 100' deep? Check for exhaustion every 1/2 hour, 4 hours max
- Swimming 200' deep? Check for exhaustion every 15 minutes, 2 hours max
- Magic swimming aid eliminates these checks and movement uses normal forced march rules

So yeah, the DC12 thing is a house rule too

Remove ads