• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Legends Survey; Plus Ranger Feedback Results!

Interesting stuff on the ranger. But a whole survey on Sword Coast Legends. Hm. I don't even know what it is, really. And said as much when I answered.

Interesting stuff on the ranger.

But a whole survey on Sword Coast Legends. Hm. I don't even know what it is, really. And said as much when I answered.

Not to sound overly snide, but maybe they just need to make a Drizzt class and roll on since it is clear that is what a lot of people are looking for in a Ranger. There are obviously other models in Lord of the Rings since that is where it is derived from, woodsmen survivalists and in real life Rangers as well, but the survey seems to suggest that isn't what people are looking for and ultimately they need to cater to what people who want to play the class that says "Ranger" on their character sheet the most.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I wonder if the popularity of the 2e and 3e Ranger is demographic more than anything. Didn't one of the surveys show that the bulk of people taking the survey were in their 20s to early 30s, i.e. people who learned to play from 2e and 3e?

(Not that it being influenced by demographics in any way means that catering to that preference shouldn't be WotC's focus.)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Then what distinguishing feature would a ranger have?

Because it's not wilderness survival, it's not bows, it's not TWF....

To me the rangers distinguishing feature was skills, weapons, and magic... purposely weaved together to make a dangerous survivalist.

The spells buffs the weapons and skills. The skills made the weapons hit easily and the spells avoid interruption. And the weapons applied the spells and feed off the skills.

And when the 3 combine, someone dies, is crippled, or is fleeing round 1.

Mephista

Adventurer
Second... and third? What are these ranger versions? I only remember the core book, the spell-less hack, and then the UA with the summoned beastlies... where are the rest of them?

Uchawi

First Post
This.

I would love to see companion rules for all classes, with specific classes building on top of those with archetypes or feats. The Ranger could take the "animal companion" feat, the wizard the "Familiar" feat, etc.
That was discussed during the playtest as a general solution to companions and action economy. But 5E does not appear to be in a place where they want to add more complexity. With the exception of psionics, they are in the mind set of must use existing classes/subclasses. And then you end up with the fighter, or a million ranger variants.

Dire Bare

Legend
That was discussed during the playtest as a general solution to companions and action economy. But 5E does not appear to be in a place where they want to add more complexity. With the exception of psionics, they are in the mind set of must use existing classes/subclasses. And then you end up with the fighter, or a million ranger variants.

I'm sure WotC is or already has considered that option. It's just the one that I like!

A companion sub-system or constant revisiting of class archetypes, it's system complexity one way or the other. A single, universal sub-system separate from classes seems cleaner to me, and allows any character to select a companion.

Ristamar

Adventurer
I like the idea of Rangers using the creatures of the wild as allies, but I'd prefer to see a more Pokemon style approach that allows players to temporarily call forth from a variety of creatures based on the type of assistance the party requires and the current environment. I think one of the biggest problems with the current Beast Master subclass is that is it's trying to disguise an NPC companion/hireling as a series of subclass features.

Quickleaf

Legend
I feel sorry for whoever goes thru the Sword Coast Legends survey. I know mine was particularly brutal.

But on Metacritic.com the game has a 62 metascore (and 55 from users): http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sword-coast-legends So the bashing of it is entirely justified.

They ask "what would make you want to play SCL" in the survey. I listed a bunch of things, but I don't expect most of them to become part of the game since it would need an overhaul so extensive as not to be fiscally viable.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I like the results of that survey. The Aragorn ranger or the Drizz't ranger is definitely what I like as well. Not much magic. A heavy focus on skills. And the chance to have an effective animal companion is what I like to see in a ranger.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads