Swordmages and half-orcs hit the streets!

Kraydak said:
*That* won't be in the final version (or if it is, all the other defenders just became obsolete).

I wouldn't expect the above Marking mechanic to make it into the final version either, the amount of damage mitigated is absurdly high.

Maybe the shield doesn't stack with armor (like old mage armow). That would seem to balance out with other defenders (actually a little lower?) except he wouldn't be armored. The damage reduction is pretty ridiculous, but maybe theres some detail that were missing that leads to a more balanced ability.

Wish

First Post
Kraydak said:
*That* won't be in the final version (or if it is, all the other defenders just became obsolete).

I wouldn't expect the above Marking mechanic to make it into the final version either, the amount of damage mitigated is absurdly high.

I don't know, doesn't seem that high. A paladin can get 8 (plate) + 2 (shield), and +2 reflex (shield). A swordmage can get 3 (hide) + 4 Int (shield) + 4 Int (stat). So the paladin gets 10 AC, 2 Ref, the swordmage 11 AC.

Higher levels, figure 14 (plate) +6 (enhancement) + 2 shield for 22 AC and 2 Reflex for the paladin. 5 (hide) + 6 (enhancement) + 8 (Int) + 8 (shield) for 27 AC.

That's pretty marginal at first level, decent at high level (I'm assuming a Demigod for the stat boost for the swordmage), but still only 3 better in total defense for the swordmage, even with the Demigod boost. If you go to 28th+ level, the swordmage pulls a little further ahead, I guess.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Why would anyone playing a swordmage not be an Eladrin? A feat for +2 damage with swords and +2 int? Can we say "no-brainer?"

Byronic

First Post
epochrpg said:
Why would anyone playing a swordmage not be an Eladrin? A feat for +2 damage with swords and +2 int? Can we say "no-brainer?"

A masochistic streak. Random class/race generation. Because Halflings make them jolly.

rhm001

First Post
epochrpg said:

The Dex will help with Heavy Blade feats, too. But it depends on how useful Con is. If it helps out the damage (or other aspects of the attacks) enough, you may very well see a decent number of dwarf and half-elf swordmages. Both will get better Fort and Will defenses, unlike the Eldarin; the dwarf is still a great defender, and has an equal damage bump feat, while a swordmage's Int focus means the half-elf is set up to pick up Commander's Strike or a wizard spell, both of which would be nice.

Mengu

First Post
epochrpg said:
With the snippet of the class we've seen, yes you can say no brainer. When we see more, who knows... I could show someone a halfling rogue build (like KotSF Rogue), and they would likely say, why would anyone playing a rogue, not be a halfling?

Rechan

Adventurer
epochrpg said:
Because there might be a charisma build. Which might then question "Why would anyone being a swordmage NOT be a half-elf or a tiefling or a..."

Rechan

Adventurer
Kraydak said:

Well they need to fix the damn thing quick, because it comes out in a few months.

Remove ads