Table of ability scores for each PHB race, MM race, and class

Mr. Teapot

First Post
Voss said:
Its a matter of primary and secondary stats. Apparently most classes attack with one or two stats. Clerics, for example, seem to be str and wis. The secondary stats are nice, but not nearly as important.

Just the opposite, really. When I made my portion of the spreadsheet, I wasn't always sure which was a class's primary stat and which were secondary. More importantly, I didn't know the relative value of having bonuses to secondary stats versus primary stats (I expect that debate to last 4e's lifespan). According tot heir racial entry, Tieflings make good Warlords, when they get bonuses to the two secondary stats but not to the universal stat. Is this as good as a human getting a bonus to just the primary? Or a Dragonborn getting a bonus to the primary and a secondary? I can't say yet, as I don't have the books, and doubt I'll know after I get them.

So I just was totalling up how many primary or secondary stats a race/class combo shared.

(As Asmor noted, the dwarf cleric was a typo, due to my human error which has now been fixed.)

MindWanderer

First Post
Nice table.

Recommendation: Since fighters always use Str, and one or more of Con, Dex, or Wis, perhaps you should use =B2+MAX(C2,D2,F2). That would give a score of 2 only for a race that gets Str and one of the other stats, and not for one that gets, for example, Dex and Wis.

Asmor

First Post
MindWanderer said:
Nice table.

Recommendation: Since fighters always use Str, and one or more of Con, Dex, or Wis, perhaps you should use =B2+MAX(C2,D2,F2). That would give a score of 2 only for a race that gets Str and one of the other stats, and not for one that gets, for example, Dex and Wis.

Nice idea! Here's a revised one with your suggestion.

Attachments

• autocalc.xls
    80.5 KB · Views: 78

silentounce

First Post
This may help you a bit. Here are classes broken down further with Primary Stat and Secondary stat by PHB "build". May I suggest adding a 2* or 1.5* before the Primary stat in the formula to weight it? Heh, then of course you'll have to add a new color, perhaps green for three and a lighter green for two? Note below, that some abilities both have the same number for the class, that's because the given build states that those abilities are of equal importance. Not all builds are given a tertiary ability preference, and some have a suggested fourth.

Battle Cleric: 1Str, 2Wis, 3Cha.
Devoted Cleric: 1Wis, 2Cha, 3Str.
Great Weapon Fighter: 1Str, 2Con.
Guardian Fighter: 1Str, 2Dex, 2Wis.
FYI, Polearm is the only weapon group that is based on Wis, all others are either Dex or Con.
Avenging Paladin: 1Str, 2Cha, 3Wis.
Protecting Paladin: 1Cha, 2Str, 3Wis.
Archer Ranger: 1Dex, 2Str, 3Wis.
Two-Blade Ranger: 1Str, 2Dex, 3Wis.
Brawny Rogue: 1Dex, 2Str, 3Cha.
Trickster Rogue: 1Dex, 2Cha, 3Str.
Deceptive Warlock: 1Cha, 2Int, 3Con.
Scourge Warlock: 1Con, 2Int, 3Cha.
Inspiring Warlord: 1Str, 2Cha, 3Int.
Tactical Warlord: 1Str, 2Int, 3Cha.
Control Wizard: 1Int, 2Wis, 3Dex, 4Con.
War Wizard: 1Int, 2Dex, 3Wis, 3Con.
Also, Wizard's choose between three different implements, based on either Dex, Wis, or Con. So, a wizard that chooses the Staff may wish to make Con a higher priority.

The way they did this it seems like the writers feel that sometimes build makes what you would think be a secondary stat into a primary one. Only fighter, rogue, and wizard use the same primary for both builds.
Not sure if you'll want to take the project on, but all that could be incorporated. ;)

Heck, I think I'll work on this myself, but I don't think I'll be able to upload it because I'm not a paying member. I'll, of course, use your document as a base, thanks for that.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Argyuile said:
It just seems like a huge pain in the ass to build non-combat interactions and mysteries players being able to use this at will.
My DM was a good sport, but I don't know that he expected me to use four or five disguise self effects per "encounter."

Asmor said:
Isn't that the holy grail of RPGs?
Yes, but he had to do a lot of scrambling to keep up. While it was cool for me, I expect he won't want to be involved in a non-stop sprint in every adventure from now on.

rkanodia said:
So in other words, your hat of illusion know no limit?
I need to see what the 4E hat of disguise looks like, because the 3E one, is waaaaay too good for the level/cost. :D

silentounce

First Post
Well, I finished. I weighted abilities thus: Primary*3, Secondary*2, Tertiary*1, Quaternary*.5

So, it resulted in values between 5 and 0. Trying to pick good colors for each numerical value. Does anyone know an easy way to design fill colors based on value? I don't think there is one. I'm using Open Office, btw. The results are interesting, but it's hard to read without color coding. There aren't that many 5s. Humans are 3 in everything, slightly above average for any given class, that's as it should be.

I also hid the ability columns, and froze the panes so that you can scroll to the right and still see what race you're looking at.

Attachments

• 4e Class and Race Ability Breakdown.xls
    89.5 KB · Views: 83

Asmor

First Post
Your best bet is just to go with a gradient.

5: Green
4: Yellowish green
3: Yellow green
2: Greenish yellow
1: Yellow
< 1: Red

Frankly, though, I think this level of detail is seriously overboard.

rhm001

First Post
silentounce said:
Well, I finished. I weighted abilities thus: Primary*3, Secondary*2, Tertiary*1, Quaternary*.5

So, it resulted in values between 5 and 0. Trying to pick good colors for each numerical value. Does anyone know an easy way to design fill colors based on value? I don't think there is one. I'm using Open Office, btw. The results are interesting, but it's hard to read without color coding. There aren't that many 5s. Humans are 3 in everything, slightly above average for any given class, that's as it should be.

I also hid the ability columns, and froze the panes so that you can scroll to the right and still see what race you're looking at.

I must admit that I'm a little disturbed by this analysis, specifically the fact that dragonborn are above average for every class except wizard. They get a racial encounter power that lets them make an area attack, the one ability wizards are best at. I know there's been uproar in the past, and I'll be glad to wait to see them in play, but I'm worried that I, too, will be forced to welcome our dargonborn overlords...

MindWanderer

First Post
rhm001 said:
I must admit that I'm a little disturbed by this analysis, specifically the fact that dragonborn are above average for every class except wizard. They get a racial encounter power that lets them make an area attack, the one ability wizards are best at. I know there's been uproar in the past, and I'll be glad to wait to see them in play, but I'm worried that I, too, will be forced to welcome our dargonborn overlords...
They're a little weaker than they look on paper, because 2 of their racial abilities depend on Con, which increases their MAD in most cases.

Remove ads