• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

tactical metamagic feats?

rkanodia

First Post
Hi all. I was thinking about some various effects for spells that weren't worth raising the spell level. The only problem, then, is how to prevent casters from just applying them to all their spells. I hit on an idea: why not combine metamagic feats with tactical feats?

Here's my starting idea. It's not finished; can someone come up with a third manuever?

Ambient Caster [tactical, metamagic]
You have a strong feel for the magical engeries that power spells, and are adept at using their 'loose ends' to make your spells better.
Prerequisite: Able to cast third level spells, any other metamagic feat.
Benefit: The Ambient Caster feat enables the use of three manuevers:
Harness residual energy: To use this manuever, you must cast, or be affected by, a spell affected by the Empower Spell, Enlarge Spell, Extend Spell, Heighten Spell, or Maximise Spell metamagic feat. Any spell you cast in the next round with a variable numeric effect treats all ones rolled as twos instead.
Cover spell: To use this manuever, you must observe another spellcaster cast a spell with non-instantaneous duration, and you must successfully determine what spell was cast. If you cast a spell with non-instantaneous duration within the next round and it affects any of the same targets or areas as the original spell, your spell is 'covered' by the original spell. If an area dispel effect is used on any targets of your spell, and your spell is equal or higher level to the original spell, the order of dispelling changes so that the original spell is dispelled before your spell.

Like this idea? Hate it? Any suggestions for the third effect?

edit: forgot a little thing

Last edited:

RoastSlinky

First Post
Nice idea... I thought of something similar, but couldn't think of a good theme for a tactical metamagic feat.
I'd say that this should be a Spontaneous Casters Only feat... manipulating the loose ends of magic seems like it should be a sorc type of thing.

For the last manuever, how about this:

Absorb Energy: If an enemy caster casts a spell of 2nd level or higher on you, you may voluntarily forgo a saving throw and spell resistance. On your next turn, you may cast a spell affected by any metamagic feat with a +1 spell level adjustment without casting it as a higher level spell.

the Jester

Legend
I like the idea, will have to ponder the execution...

I like the two 'maneuvers' so far in the feat- RoastSlinky, I'm not sure that I like yours. It seems both too dangerous for the user and too prone to abuse.

rkanodia

First Post
I agree with Jester. A 'you must take X damage from a spell' requirement would be better, since at least that way a caster with resistances can't cheese it. Also, the effect is quite broad.

Remove ads