• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Take A Closer Look At The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide

WotC shares video with a deeper dive

Wizards of the Coast has just shared a video delving into the upcoming One D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, due for release in 2024.

Scroll down to post #4, below, for a more detailed text summary!
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise'
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Everything you said about Sharn also applies to waterdeep if you aren't playing in fr yet Perkins called it out as an example entry.
If they include Waterdeep, that's dumb. Hopefully cooler heads prevail.
I've had players stop my darksun ravelnoft & eberron games more than once to correct me with "well actually no.." before trying to tell the group that the gm is wrong because $fr-lore dump as if they were being completely Reasonable trying to override the gm & setting lore presented by the gm. I can't even call that an example of toxic player behavior either because that's how wotc themselves have presented fr lore since 2014
No, that's toxic behavior. You should expect better behavior at your games and from your friends generally.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Sure....but that's all pretty high level stuff (and it isn't just dragons, I find most of the monsters lacking in originality....the vast majority of statblocks are variations on claw/claw/bite or stab/hit with sword for humanoids). I get not everyone agrees, and I don't want to bog this thread down with that.
I think WotC clearly feels other companies and creators breathing down their necks with their improved bestiaries. I would be shocked if the 2024 Monster Manual didn't look a lot more like Tome of Beasts and Monster Manual Expanded, to name two examples that should make them sweat a bit.

Sure....but that's all pretty high level stuff (and it isn't just dragons, I find most of the monsters lacking in originality....the vast majority of statblocks are variations on claw/claw/bite or stab/hit with sword for humanoids). I get not everyone agrees, and I don't want to bog this thread down with that.
I will also say that the monsters since the MM are more interesting and compare favorably with any edition of D&D IMO.

Edit. Just realize you said humanoids. IDK, but if you look at all of the orc or gnoll variants you can put together a pretty interesting warband

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I think WotC clearly feels other companies and creators breathing down their necks with their improved bestiaries. I would be shocked if the 2024 Monster Manual didn't look a lot more like Tome of Beasts and Monster Manual Expanded, to name two examples that should make them sweat a bit.
We can only hope!

Stalker0

Legend
What I would love is a divider right in the middle of the book. Before that, all of the new DM stuff that is super important and great for new dms to learn....and that I will never ever use because I'm a veteran. Second half is the stuff I will reference a lot, encounter guidelines, magic items, etc.

The gem dragons wern't exactly jaw dropping, but they were definitely more interesting than the metallic and chromatic dragons.

A combination of in-built spellcasting and unique legendary actions made them feel less like a copy and paste job.
If they're going to be putting in more monsters in the new MM to make it the biggest ever, and they are putting in more high-CR creatures, I could see the gem dragons finally getting equal billing with the chromatics and metallics and graduating into a spot in the MM. I sort of hope so, even if that does mean they get reprinted from Fizbans, since they're always getting short shrift compared to the other two.

That is the beauty of opening the SRD to 3rd parties! 3rd parties are supposed to kick ass, innovate, and make Wizards up their game in turn! I am so looking forward to the arms race of awesome design.
I was about to say the same thing. I've been a huge supporter of @Nixlord and his Monster Manual Expanded books since he started working on them, and, while I hope that WotC doesn't steal too much of his thunder should they give us more variant/improved monsters like those in his books, it is a good thing overall for the game if WotC uses similar ideas to up their game as you said.

Stalker0

Legend
I was about to say the same thing. I've been a huge supporter of @Nixlord and his Monster Manual Expanded books since he started working on them, and, while I hope that WotC doesn't steal too much of his thunder should they give us more variant/improved monsters like those in his books, it is a good thing overall for the game if WotC uses similar ideas to up their game as you said.
Those books are so gorgeous, more than any other RPG book I’ve seen. Frankly wotc should just hire him to coordinate their artists

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads