• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Take A Closer Look At The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide

WotC shares video with a deeper dive

Wizards of the Coast has just shared a video delving into the upcoming One D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, due for release in 2024.

Scroll down to post #4, below, for a more detailed text summary!
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise'
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary

dave2008

Legend
That was the case for me as well.

Unfortunately, unless the surprise is "Exploration and Social Challenges" it looks like my hopes are dashed. (And I don't think it is - my best guess would be one of the settings mentioned in this thread.)
I don't need WotC to provide "Exploration and Social Challenges," I can get those from 3PP. Though it would be fine if they had them.

However, I am a bit disappointed there isn't a dedicated chapter on alternate / variant / optional / house rules. I guess those could be in another chapter, but I could see / would prefer a whole chapter on the subject. Exploration and Social rules could go in that chapter too.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd love to see skill challenges included in the DMG. I've had great success in running skill challenges as a story device for my group. Build a scene consisting of 3 or 4 smaller scenes, each scene requires a certain number of rolls (not successes) to continue to the next scene. If the players get 3 failures something bad happens, but if they reach the end of the last scene before that happens the skill challenge succeeds. Also skill challenges can and should include tool proficiences as well as allow for crazy ideas that maybe wouldn't be as okay in for example combat.
If not the return of skill challenges, then something similar. Clocks have shown how versatile and useful they are in the years since 4E. Maybe it’s time they appeared in D&D.

mamba

Legend
My mileage most definitely varies on that one! Leaving two-thirds of the game virtually unsupported because the third party can do it is a sucky decision, IMO.
there are three pillars, but combat is clearly the most rules-heavy out of the three. I can see some exploration rules, but social to me is mostly roleplaying, not rules based.

there are three pillars, but combat is clearly the most rules-heavy out of the three. I can see some exploration rules, but social to me is mostly roleplaying, not rules based.
the problem is that some of us have been begging and pleading for more support of those other pillars for editions.

dave2008

Legend
My mileage most definitely varies on that one! Leaving two-thirds of the game virtually unsupported because the third party can do it is a sucky decision, IMO.
I should clarify a bit. I don't feel they are unsupported. There are tools in the DMG regarding handling these type of things, and we have a long history of handling them in our games. I don't personally feel more support is needed, but I understand that some do. We don't need detail exploration and social interaction rules, but I don't deny that there are those that do. We are fine with the rules, guidelines, and suggestions provided in chapters 6, 7, & 8 of the current DMG. They are clearly not what you are looking for, but they cover exploration and social interaction enough for our group.

Remove ads

Remove ads