• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Take A Closer Look At The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide

WotC shares video with a deeper dive

Wizards of the Coast has just shared a video delving into the upcoming One D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, due for release in 2024.

Scroll down to post #4, below, for a more detailed text summary!
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise'
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary

I hope so to, but at this point I don't expect it. Fizban's didn't give me much hope for the 2024 dragons. I'm working on about my 5th version of the 5e chromatics now and I think I'm finally getting them right. So I don't really need WotC for this, but I always love new ideas!
The gem dragons wern't exactly jaw dropping, but they were definitely more interesting than the metallic and chromatic dragons.

A combination of in-built spellcasting and unique legendary actions made them feel less like a copy and paste job.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I would expect the surprise chapter to be an adventure. Give everyone a common experience, and set up the next arc that we don't know exists for a decade....

While I LOVE optional rules, I'd put them in another book......dmg2

I like the chapters...I'd just make more of them and make them shorter. I'd prefer magic items were in a different book, but that will never happen.

Anyone want to buy my 2014 rule books?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So where exactly are we with what exactly these new books are?

We were told we cannot call it 5e, nor 5.5e, nor 6e. But now it seems like they are saying it is just a revision of 5e. Jeremy Crawford literally said, 'This is NOT 5th editon or even 5.5. This is very important nuance.... '

What are we allowed to call it now?
You are quoting a typo that was latter corrected. He said this is NOT 6E or even 5.5, you can double check the story yourself.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would expect the surprise chapter to be an adventure. Give everyone a common experience, and set up the next arc that we don't know exists for a decade....

While I LOVE optional rules, I'd put them in another book......dmg2

I like the chapters...I'd just make more of them and make them shorter. I'd prefer magic items were in a different book, but that will never happen.

Anyone want to buy my 2014 rule books?
But it sounds like the Adventure building chapter, which comes earlier, has an example Adventure already.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
God I hope dragons are made more interesting this time around...
I just don't think WotC is ever going to give us anything other than bags of hitpoints for most monsters. They just seem boring to me all around. Not that most 3pp are A LOT better, so maybe that;'s just what 5e is for the big companies.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
But it sounds like the Adventure building chapter, which comes earlier, has an example Adventure already.
Ya, that is 100% why I'm likely wrong....but I'd still do it that way. I think a simple example (like a small tomb) is a great idea for that chapter, but a full adventure that every table has access to is how I'd build community (which matters more than we'd think).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ya, that is 100% why I'm likely wrong....but I'd still do it that way. I think a simple example (like a small tomb) is a great idea for that chapter, but a full adventure that every table has access to is how I'd build community (which matters more than we'd think).
However, they already have Loat Mines of Phandelver available for free for anyone with a beyond account...and I expect the DMG will point to Beyond.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads