Taking a side with a jerk

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
but the intentional circumspection required seemed pretty darned silly.
It was difficult to tell. Morrus sounded serious -red text, thread closing and all- but then again, I am not a mod. I do not get to moderate complaints that concern myself.

I intend to. But someone voiced a particular
concern I thought deserved the respect of open mention. I even tried to
write a version of the explanation without using the term - but the intentional
circumspection required seemed pretty darned silly.
I can see your point about trying to
address the point without using the term OTTer; however, did you try an writing another version of that post without the phrase " I have years of experience here before any OTTer showed their face."?
And angry? Goodness, no. Nothing to be angry about there.
Well that's good. Still, as I mentioned before, that phrase just makes it seem as if you were angry and trying to be insulting. I know you say you weren't trying to be insulting, and I believe you, but the wording just makes it come off like that. I mean, imagine if someone had said "There were some people that were having a discussion, and it was getting a little out of hand, and then Umbran showed his face." It just doesn't sound like something good that you showed "your face," you know what I mean? It could be a simple description of you showing up as a mod, but it just sounds bad.

In any case, I'm glad that there is no anger and no intent to insult people.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You're paranoid.
I was laughing at goldo.

I don't believe you. As for "paranoid", it's on record that you want to "burn EN World to the ground". But that aside, both calling other users paranoid and answering back to moderation are enough to get individually get temp bans. Let's say 3 days for each. Plus a bonus one to round it to a week.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I can see your point about trying to
address the point without using the term OTTer; however, did you try an writing another version of that post without the phrase " I have years of experience here before any OTTer showed their face."?

Okay, so, you don't like that particular phrasing? Got it. I'll try to avoid it in the future.

Okay, so, you don't like that particular phrasing? Got it. I'll try to avoid it in the future.
I'm not saying I don't like it. I'm just saying that it takes away from your actual message and may give people the wrong impression. You, among others here, have pointed out how word choice and the internet just don't do well together. Things get confusing. They come off wrong. People take it the wrong way.

But yeah, it's probably a good thing if you decide to not use that kind of phrasing in the future. In any case, we should probably stop discussing this. It's derailing the thread.

Nellisir

Hero
I am in the same boat. My wife generally perceives debate as being unfriendly or hostile. For some people debate is fun, it is a way of communicating with people you respect, for others it is a sign of disrespect. I like a good debate, but i have also developed a sense of when it may not be appropriate. Or when someone doesn't want you to press them.
My wife...lacks a perception of certain nuances. She doesn't debate. She either doesn't care, or she will destroy you. The idea of debating something to not _win_ is not something she really recognizes. (very competitive, very black and white viewpoint. Pretty much opposites in that regard.)

Nellisir

Hero
Getting back to the OP, I don't recall being in that kind of a situation. I'd like to think I'd say "You're right, and I agree with you, but you're being an ass. Knock it off."

Remove ads