Tale of the Crystal Princess. An Arcana Evolved Game. OOC

grufflehead

First Post
@Dr Simon's game theory - sweet! Knew this was going to be good.

OK, question for the other players, and then the GM. Is anyone planning on doing 'face' stuff? It fits for Professor Gruffle (at least I think he should be able to be Diplomatic) BUT of course, this is pre-Pathfinder 3.5 so class skill lists are a bit of a hindrance. In his infinite wisdon, Monte Cook has given Magisters Innuendo (Bluff) and Intimidate as class skills, but not Diplomacy. If someone else is going down that route, I'm happy to get by on a couple of ranks cc + a CHA bonus, but if none of you were planning on majoring on it, can I put in a request for a feat from somewhere else that will let me take it as a class sklll?

Dr Simon

Explorer
Well, the B5 game has the "Hobby" feat that allows you to select a cross-class skill and treat it as a class skill, but feats are easier to come by in that game and it strikes me as a hefty price to pay. I'd be more willing to allow, say, a straight swap of another class skill for Diplomacy.

grufflehead

First Post
Very kind. Of the list, I'd probably swap it for Search given the choice. The Professor's eyesight is not what it once was...

Do you have a Rogue's Gallery, or a preferred format for character sheets for posting concepts?

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm. Given that we have a Greenbond, I wonder if a Wood Witch is duplicating some of that role...

Are there are any Charisma-based caster classes in Arcana Evolved? That would let me leverage my Spryte SLA's, some of which are quite formidable, more effectively too.

grufflehead

First Post
The only one I can see that relies on CHA for casting is a Mage Blade. Magister and Runethane are INT based, Witch, Greenbond and Totem Speaker are WIS based as far as I can see.

Shayuri

First Post
Hahaha

Mage Blade is not a pursuit this character is terribly well suited for. Hee hee.

Sheesh, what a pain.

Maybe Unfettered...the sneak attack damage will help offset my low base weapon damage...

I dunno! Mr Magister Man, what kind of magic do you anticipate focusing on?

grufflehead

First Post
Spells you say? You know, I hadn't quite got that far ;) I'd like to get away from the 'stock' spell list - which given a lot of the spells aren't the same as 3.5 makes it easier. I thought I might look and see if anything sounded like it would fit the setting particularly well first, then think of things that a creaky old professor might have up his sleeve. Almost certainly nothing directly combat focussed, but perhaps might be useful if the circumstances were right!

On your suggestion, I've found sneak attack to be quite a good boost for small PCs in the past. Flying in, stabbing people with a hatpin, and flying off again I imagine a faen would do. Meh, maybe our enormous warmain will be so scary, nobody will want to jump us.... What say you WD: lots of Intimidate and a fearsome roar?

Walking Dad

First Post
Intimidate is still part of cha, where I get a malus.

I have become a bit unsure if I should really play the only non-caster in a game designed by Monte Cook... who loves the casting classes...

Also I eally like the spell system in AE and just started to play a brute in another of Dr Simon's games. Perhaps I will stay martial, but change to half-elf mageblade. Have to reread some rules.

grufflehead

First Post
Have to agree with you about the casters - which is why I was all over the Magister so quickly! Mage Blade sounds fun too though - saw one played with twin swords (maybe even both Athames) and he rocked.

Dr Simon

Explorer
I will have a Rogue's Gallery up, but haven't yet.

From experience, Wood Witch can play a bit of a poor second to a Greenbond, although other witch types are available, of course. I could be persuaded to allow you to change the casting stat of another class, it's an idea I've been toying with for a while and I don't think it will cause the fabric of the universe to collapse.

Don't forget, also, the juicy casting-style feats that allow you to customise your spell lists, like Elemental Mage, etc.

On the AE fighting classes, I find they stand up better amongst casters than 3.5 classes. Totem warriors are very cool, although the Wolf is a bit meh. And I love Unfettered. Mage Blades by 5th level have begun to come into their own (I have find memories of Wild Rufus, possessor of the Wild Mage feat - you never knew what you'd get). For a twist, I'd be open to using the houseruled gun mage class from diamondthrone.com for a bit of steampunk-style John Woo action.

Last edited:

Remove ads