Tales From The Yawning Portal - 7 Classic Dungeons Updated To 5E!

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

C1bHoHNVQAE-3qx.jpg-large.jpg

When the shadows grow long in Waterdeep and the fireplace in the taproom of the Yawning Portal dims to a deep crimson glow, adventurers from across the Sword Coast spin tales and spread rumors of lost treasures.

Within this tome are seven of the deadliest dungeons from the history of Dungeons & Dragons. Some are classics that have hosted an untold number of adventurers, while others are newer creations, boldly staking a claim to their place in the pantheon of notable adventures.

The seeds of these stories now rest in your hands. D&D’s deadliest dungeons are now part of your arsenal of adventures. Enjoy, and remember to keep a few spare character sheets handy.

For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide, this book provides fans with a treasure trove of adventures, all of which have been updated to the fifth edition rules. Explore seven deadly dungeons in this adventure supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game:

• Against the Giants
  • Dead in Thay
  • Forge of Fury
  • Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  • Sunless Citadel
  • Tomb of Horrors
  • White Plume Mountain

Find it on WotC's site here. Forbes has an interview about it here. Mearls says "We're announcing a new D&D product, a book coming out this spring. It is called Tales from the Yawning Portal(out March 24th in local game stores and April 4th everywhere else) It's a collection of seven of the most famous dungeons from Dungeons & Dragons history. They're all collected in one hardcover book. The idea behind it is not only do you want to capture some of the most famous dungeons from the game's history, but we also wanted to give a selection of adventures that you could in theory start at Level 1 with the first dungeon and play all the way up to Level 15 by playing the adventures one after another."

DSC06258-1200x675.jpg

Cover Image

DSC06257-e1483590685311-1200x2134.jpg

Gibbering Mouther

DSC06270-e1483590966307-1200x2134.jpg

DSC06278-e1483590790367-1200x2134.jpg

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Save
Save

SaveSave
SaveSave

Remathilis

Legend
So while everyone is arguing/complaining/grognarding (That last one is a word... I think), I am over here wondering who everyone on the cover is. Obviously Durnan is front and center, but what about the other 8 faces?

The skull face in the upper-left corner is Acerack. I wager the giant eye is King Snurre. The horned face in the lower left is Nix or Nox from WPM. As for the others, I don't remember the modules well enough to connect them. (Major points lost for missing Meepo for SC).

GarrettKP

Explorer
The skull face in the upper-left corner is Acerack. I wager the giant eye is King Snurre. The horned face in the lower left is Nix or Nox from WPM. As for the others, I don't remember the modules well enough to connect them. (Major points lost for missing Meepo for SC).

My first thought for the lich in the upper left was actually Szass Tam since Dead In Thay is included. But maybe it is Acerack!

pukunui

Legend
So while everyone is arguing/complaining/grognarding (That last one is a word... I think), I am over here wondering who everyone on the cover is. Obviously Durnan is front and center, but what about the other 8 faces?
The elf to the left looks like Aerisi from PotA.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
The more I meditate on the cover the more inspired I become. What a fantastic image!

Why must Wizards of the Cost compel me so to part with my ample coinage?

Hutchimus Prime

Adventurer
This is a neat idea, and I'll get it, but with the pace of the releases (which has ensured some QUALITY product) and some of what I'd hypothesized that "Labyrinth" might be; I'm a little disappointed at the same time.

barasawa

Explorer
I'm really glad it's got Tomb of Horrors in it.
That might even bump up sales when Ready Player One comes out, if it comes out. You know how hollywood will drop projects at any point if they feel like it. Unless of course the movie drops those chapters or totally glosses them over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I think we all agree that this book is sort of lazy (for lack of a better word).

But I think that was by design. The upcoming mechanical expansion requires way more thought, input, and testing than the previous fall releases (Volo's Guide and the SCAG). They are giving themselves a little break this spring because they need that time to balance new subclasses and other mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Isn't literally everything they've put out since 2012 new? I don't recall any of the other campaign books or adventure paths being a remake. Even Strahd is not a remake of I6 to the best of my knowledge, and that's about as close to a remake that I can think of.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong.

Princes of the Apocalypse is a rehash of Temple of Elemental Evil I believe? Strahd is a reboot, SKT is an homage to Against the Giants?

I'm not really in a position to speak definitively but my understanding is that OotA is the freshest thing they've done...

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

Now, I'm not against that per se. But I'd rather that be NEW small adventures that are linked together. Where people can have those small adventure and I can have my story. Seven giant dungeon crawls lack that story.

Not if each of the seven dungeons had a section of the Rod of Seven Parts in it...

Remove ads

Remove ads