D&D 5E Tales from the Yawning Portal: A better title would be "Nezram's tales of adventure".

machineelf

Explorer
That is not a bad idea, but I personally prefer the Yawning Portal idea. Partly that's because I have no problem imagining, as others have said, that these stories have been told and retold in a famous tavern where many adventurers and locals gather.

I also want to run a main campaign with my players where they visit Waterdeep from time to time (or have much of the campaign be in Waterdeep). And when my players want to run a side-quest or a one-off with different characters for a break from the main campaign, they can go to the Yawning Portal and hear Durnan, or others in the tavern, tell stories they've heard of adventurers from distant lands venture into dangerous ancient dungeons. As the story begins to be told in the tavern, we transition to the one-off side-quest for my players. It makes for a great story-telling technique and transition.

pemerton

Legend
I think this would have made more sense.
How?

The point of the book title isn't to tell an interesting or subtle story to FR aficionados. It's to sell books, including to people who have seen a movie with the Yawning Portal in it; and perhaps to sell movies with the Yawning Portal in it to people who buy the book.

The fact that the actual contents of the book is a collection of modules rather than a collection of tales from the Yawning Portal is pretty secondary. Not many who buy the book are going to be confused about what it is they're getting, namely, an anthology of D&D adventure modules.

Corpsetaker

First Post
and makes perfect sense as is to be a multiworld crossroads.

Just saying it doesn't make it true. The Yawning Portal has nothing to do with multiworlds, nor has it ever, so why does it suddenly make sense after 30+ years?

Do you actually know anything about the Yawning Portal or are you too busy drinking the Wiz juice?

Corpsetaker

First Post
That is not a bad idea, but I personally prefer the Yawning Portal idea. Partly that's because I have no problem imagining, as others have said, that these stories have been told and retold in a famous tavern where many adventurers and locals gather.

I also want to run a main campaign with my players where they visit Waterdeep from time to time (or have much of the campaign be in Waterdeep). And when my players want to run a side-quest or a one-off with different characters for a break from the main campaign, they can go to the Yawning Portal and hear Durnan, or others in the tavern, tell stories they've heard of adventurers from distant lands venture into dangerous ancient dungeons. As the story begins to be told in the tavern, we transition to the one-off side-quest for my players. It makes for a great story-telling technique and transition.

Think about this for a moment.

Why would you go to the Yawning Portal to discuss various dungeons from other places, which you would have to explain "in game" how you know about, when there is a mega dungeon right below your feet?

That would be like going to a football match just to discuss rugby.

Remove ads